1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Number of views per video?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by hockeyhero, Dec 17, 2008.

hockeyhero, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  2. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everytime someone clicks on the link view video , increment the some counter in database.

it career, Dec 18, 2008 IP
    hockeyhero likes this.
  3. hockeyhero

hockeyhero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmm... so does that mean that every time someone clicks the link, the link id goes into the database and everytime someone clicks it the counter goes up?

what piece of code would work for that?

thanks

hockeyhero, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  4. hockeyhero

hockeyhero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bump.. anyone?

hockeyhero, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  5. dcwilliam1

dcwilliam1 Peon

Best Answers:
    in all honesty, theres several ways to do this. . . we would need more information than you have provided.
    To give you a brief generalization of how I'd do it
    1. have a datgabase with a table row for each video. one of the entries in that table row would be "views"
    2. have a php script on the video page that retrieves that number when the video is viewed.
    3. increment that number
    4. update the database entry

Like I said, you haven't given much information on the elements your working with or your level of experience, I hope I'm not insulting you with the rest of this list, but if you are not familiar, you need to get familiar with
    1. connect to the database
    2. query the database
    3. update the value
    4. set the value

If you don't know how to do that, you'll have to study and get it. If someone gave you a script it would not be accurate, as to how each different database has a different way of connecting and shuffling values. Your script is specific to your database.

There are other ways, such as an xml file, or even a simple data file. but that would get alot more complicated.

dcwilliam1, Dec 19, 2008 IP