1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Avoid Single Word Keywords In SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dbbinod, Dec 17, 2008.

Can any one give me some valid reasons "Why Avoid Single Word Keywords In SEO"
    Please help me out I've to show reason to my client:confused:

Thanks
    Binod

dbbinod, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  2. Hyder Ali

Hyder Ali Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, because one keyword is used in pay per click and if you use one keywor in seo you will get a huge traffic for that keyword and it will be impossible for you to bring your client site on top of the google page rank.

Hyder Ali, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  3. marlonpowell

marlonpowell Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of them have very high search volume and high competitiveness too.
    Your targeted keywords should have high search volume and low
    competitiveness - that way it would be easier to optimize.

marlonpowell, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  4. seohelp

seohelp Peon

Best Answers:
    well very simple answers. and very simple logic

Its totally useless to target that keyword because the non relevant traffic, worthless traffic and bounce rate will be huge.

Also if you want to get conversion or genuine and relevant traffic then its very simple to start at least with two keywords. One keyword is tooooooooooooooooooooooooo generic and output is zerooooooooooooooooooo.

seohelp, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  5. rypher21

rypher21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i agree with you...target KW that have high search volume and low competitiveness...

rypher21, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  6. Nancy Kneoteric

Nancy Kneoteric Banned

Best Answers:
    Single keywords are keywords used for research, people looking for information usually tend to use such keywords. It has been proven that such keywords have a very low conversion rate. They are into the initial buying cycle and are researching to dig further deep into the product/service they are looking for. They have not made up there mind yet.

On the other had sales generating keyword are usually 3-4 word (key phrase) and have a significantly high conversion rate. You can use a classic example:

Person willing to buy a television.

Searches for 'television' and then decides to buy a Plasma television and therefor searches for 'plasma television'. He then decides he would like to buy Sony Plasma television and searches for the same. Then he decides 42" Sony plasma television suits his budget and is best for him. Now '42" sony plasma television' is a sales generating keyword. Most likely to give you a sale.

Nancy Kneoteric, Dec 17, 2008 IP
    marlonpowell and Jim4767 like this.
  7. pixels

pixels Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Single word keyword are highly competitive keywords. For a new website, its almost impossible to rank for single word keyword due to high competitiveness.3. In order to rank for single word, things like URL, title, keyword,content,description should be in synch with each other. When you have opportunity to use multiple keyword and get traffic from all those keywords, why waste the opportunity and concentrate heavliy on single keyword...of which you do not have guarantee to rank well?

pixels, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  8. jasonb25

jasonb25 Member

Best Answers:
    1 word keywords are too tough to rank for and can mean completely different things. Long tail keywords are the go

jasonb25, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  9. jamesanderson

jamesanderson Guest

Best Answers:
    When discussing or researching SEO it is common to read about keywords, but the term itself can be misleading. While literally it means a single word keyword, in the majority of cases it us used to refer to keywords and keyphrases that include a string of several words. For an effective SEO campaign it is commonplace to look for keyphrases of two or more words because single word keywords are not only prohibitively competitive for most websites to rank well but they tend to generate much less effective traffic than more targeted keyphrases.
    SEO Keyword Research

SEO keyword research provides a means of calculating the most profitable keywords. This means finding those keywords that are well targeted to your visitors and website, but are not impossibly competitive. By conducting keyword research, an SEO campaign can generate website visitors that are inclined to click links, read more pages, and convert to paying customers for you or your affiliate partners. The more targeted an SEO keyword, the more targeted the resulting visitor will prove to be.
    Keyword Competition

Single word keywords are extremely competitive, in terms of the number and quality of sites that you would be forced to compete with. While SEO should always be considered an ongoing, long term source of traffic to a site, choosing less competitive and more targeted keywords will inevitably generate the better results. Those sites that appear at the top of the rankings for single word keywords will have been building links and generating high quality content for a number of years.

jamesanderson, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  10. Nancy Kneoteric

Nancy Kneoteric Banned

Best Answers:
    It would had been really great if you would have listed the original source of your answer.

seoconsult.co.uk/SEOBlog/search-engine-optimisation/why-avoid-single-word-keywords-in-seo.html

Nancy Kneoteric, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  11. DrivingTraffic.com

DrivingTraffic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    not only is it not very targeted traffic and will convert at lower levels... but in most cases they are HIGHLY competitive to rank well for. Google says 4 word phrases had the highest conversion rates among analytics users. Consider that

DrivingTraffic.com, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  12. logodesign77

logodesign77 Peon

Best Answers:
    My experience has been much like those mentioned above. I personally think the whole "keyword" idea should be tossed out and replaced with "key phrase". With a key phrase you may get less traffic if and when you are found, but the traffic you get wants what you have. I would rather have a multi word key phrase that attracts 100 visitors that want what I have than be lucky with a keyword and have 10,000 visitors who don't want what i have. Does that make sense..........

logodesign77, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  13. Avitus

Avitus Peon

Best Answers:
    Well put, I couldn't agree more.

Avitus, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  14. dbbinod

dbbinod Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot :)
    Now I'll be able to explain my client...

dbbinod, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  15. JessieJames27

JessieJames27 Active Member

Best Answers:
    One word keywords are very competitive and hard to target. Most of the time, people search for a specific words rather than general words. Thee long tailed keywords mostly bring great conversion for a site.

JessieJames27, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  16. Bloomtools

Bloomtools Peon

Best Answers:
    Single word keyword is very competitive keyword. it's takes more time getting top position.

Bloomtools, Dec 18, 2008 IP