1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpLinkBid - [I'm disgusted]

Discussion in 'Directories' started by an0n, Dec 13, 2008.

Just received an email about a new add-on for the script.

It clearly states:

Free Bulk Add Tool for phpLinkBid
    Add tons of links to your directory in seconds!

Adding links manually can be tedious, and that's why we just released a totally free Bulk Add Tool for phpLinkBid users. This tool will add an extra section to phpLinkBid Admin for adding multiple links at one time. It will automatically attempt to fetch the site title and description, create a new bid for each link, and set the status and category you choose.

The above highlighted is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Falsifying bids pragmatically in bulk now.... just wonderful.. *sigh* :rolleyes:

What a crock of sh*t

an0n, Dec 13, 2008 IP
    swedal and Obelia like this.
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The designers should have considered how this would affect the credibility of link bid sites in general prior to releasing this

swedal, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Its for adding your own sites at minimum bid.

If you have 10 sites and you want them all to be listed with a $1 bid, you stick all the URLs in 1 form and it adds them all.

You could then change the min bid to $5 or something to ensure real bids are listed higher. Its simply a quicker tool to do what people have already been doing...

mikey1090, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  4. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This tool will be a part of 1.6 and even have several enhancements. Feedback is always welcome so we can consider everyone's opinion with each change. Of course this isn't the right place for feedback if you want it noticed by phpLinkBid staff, but fortunately this thread was brought to my attention.

Before writing the tool I considering this quite seriously, as with all changes. There are three main reasons why it was released:
    1. It's awesome.
    2. We don't deprive our users of good features in fear of what a few idiots might do with them.
    3. It would be pretty obvious if somebody "abused" this tool, and there's no advantage for someone to add a bunch of high bid sites to their own directory in the first place.
    We've had a very positive response so far and not a single case of it causing any problems! :)

Tekime, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No advantage to list a bunch of high bid sites? :eek:

I don't even run a bidding directory and I see the fallacy of this statement. It goes directly to one of the biggest complaints that people have about bidding directories - the owners artificially inflate the bids to get rubes to pay more.

YMC, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  6. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    YMC, I think he means bidding your own sites high is a disadvantage. Problem is other submitters don't realise it's your site.

mikey1090, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very funny.

As a developer of a bidding script, you obviously cannot recall exactly what a bidding directory stood for and how it works.

I think you have a few Type O's in your post. Let me help correct those bullet items:

1. It's aweful
    2. We don't know what a good feature is, or care when someone abuses them
    3. Let me make things up and use words like, obvious, advantage, and talk about false positive reports.

In closing, regardless of what and/or how you try and justify it, this is NOT how a bidding directory works. And for anyone who talks about 'adding content', content is added when someone (keyword here) 'wants to bid' into the site.

This so called 'feature' is a crock of BS.

an0n, Dec 14, 2008 IP
    iowadawg and shadey like this.
  8. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Correct. In my experience, artificially high starting bids for your own sites reduces your potential profit with a bid directory.

You might be confusing this with artificially manipulating existing bids for position advantages. Artificially inflating existing bids for higher positioning and artificial bid wars - now these are a problem. But that has nothing to do with this tool really. In fact, using this tool for such purposes will only make it that much more obvious to advertiser's that you're a cheater.

I think you meant to say the bidding script.

Tekime, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, I meant 'a' bidding script, as there are more than one, which I might add, have not added such a fallacy of a MOD.

an0n, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  10. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyway i think you both mean the most popular bidding script ;)
    As for the latest add-ons i think that have to focus on some SEF add-ons instead of some mods like visual efects and so on.....

scoobby, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  11. Ceasar

Ceasar Banned

Best Answers:
    After reading this thread it is quite obvious that people complaining are most likely free directory owners as usual.

The phpLinkBid script is better than a free directory script in many ways, not just a few.

If your reading this...When is the last time you received traffic from a free directory? I for one can say... none!

With Bid Directories you do!

Tekime is right...it makes absolutely no sense to add a bunch of links and to give them fake bids.

The tool was developed so the owner can add his own sites in a faster time at the lowest bid possible. Nothing more than that.

I think this thread was another piece of propaganda trying to bash the best directory script on the web.

Ignorance is a bliss!

Ceasar, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You just cried 'ignorance' to me, and yet, have absolutely no idea how quite 'obvious' and 'ignorant' you sound right now.
    Hint: Get a clue before coming at me with such idiocy.

Your 'opinion' is noted, and now you can elaborate on the whys.

This is in no way relate to what this thread is about. Ignorance truly IS bliss.

Umm, where? Are you reading this thread right? Try and not be a suck-up, and deliver your message in an unbiased manner.

If you think nothing more than that... again, your ignorance is just.... wow! hahaha

This thread was made due to the unethical nature of the MOD and the practicality of the abuse that will be foreseen in due time.

This is a 'bidding' directory script, not a directory script. It's purpose is to provide a means to bid into the site in order to become part of it and/or it's content. Keyword is 'bid' here.

I'm glad you seem to agree with both your reading comprehension as well as your level of intelligence; ignorant.

an0n, Dec 14, 2008 IP
    stoner3221 likes this.
  13. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree with an0n and swedal that this particular mod can be (and will be) abused by many bidding directory owners. At the same time, I think I would say that irrespective of whether the mod is there or not, any owner can add their site to the list and give inflated bids.

Primary motive for using this mod should be to get offline 'bulk' bids from people (say on forums) and place those bids from the admin panel.

@an0n: I see your point but the developers don't say that you can use this to falsify the bid. They have created guns so that people can save themselves against wild animals, but they can also shoot others.. :)

jitendraag, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  14. Ceasar

Ceasar Banned

Best Answers:
    You make absolutely no sense! In fact, it is YOU that are off in left field.
    I am a webmaster that runs 24 directories. Keyword is "bid: here!

You wanted the facts...here you go:

The Benefits of the Bid Directory

1. The bid directory is a good provider of links because bid directories usually limit the amount of links that are displayed on a page. The smaller number of links on a page, give those links more weight, in the eyes of the search engines.

2. Bid Directories are many times more search engine friendly than other directories, because of the link weight, and because every link is usually created on it's own page, not just in the category pages. This page is usually picked up by the search engines.

3. Deep links are sometimes offered, but do raise the link weight. However, if you are trying to index and achieve a pagerank for some pages deeper within your site, this is the way to do it.

4. Human-edited and spam free! Again not all bid directories are human-edited, but a lot of them are. It would be worth finding the ones that are trying to create a good user friendly bid directory.

5. Bid directories offer better promotion than other directories, mainly because the small review fee that is paid is usually used to promote the directory itself, and will in turn create more traffic and a higher pagerank.

6. You have the control. With other directories you do not. For example, lets say you notice that you are receiving a modest amount of visitors from a bid directory, but your on a page five category page. You can decide to give your link a boost by bidding up (paying a the amount you wish to pay and no more than that).

7. Permanent links are usually offered on most bid directories. The only reason a website might be removed is if its content has changed and no longer meets the standards of the bid directory, or if your website no longer exists.

8. Another lesser known fact about bid directories is that once your link is placed you can find the link details page (available on most bid directories) and you can click on small icons to automatically submit your link details to Digg, Stumble Upon, Del.icio.us, and many more.

9. Usually the cost of a bid directory is measured by pagerank or traffic, but is usually very affordable. You just have to shop around for the good deals.

10. You will receive more traffic from a well promoted bid directory over a free directory.

I think that somehow you got it into your mind that there is some evil webmaster out there that is going to add a thousand links onto their directories. The tool wasn't created for that, but it does leave the potential for some abuse, even if it is unwise to the webmasters profit. A bid directory that does this would be foolish and obvious to any visitor.

I have been to a few (not many) bid directories where they were artificially bidding up your own links, but the the truth is it rarely happens and obvious when they do.

The bottom line is a free directory can be abused, just like a bid directory can be abused. However, on a bid directory it is pretty obvious when it happens.

Ceasar, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  15. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    jit, read the section on initial post where i highlighted it, and how it works.

According to the email, when the admin uses it, it will:

• automatically attempt to fetch the site title and description
    • create a new bid for each link (this is falsifying a bid)
    • set the status you choose
    • set the category you choose.

Bullet #2
    create a new bid for each link

That is a falsified bid.

an0n, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  16. homepageofthemonth

homepageofthemonth Peon

Best Answers:
    I see nothing but potential for abuse.:eek:

A feature that will "automatically...create a new bid for each link" completely undermines the credibility and purpose of bid directories.

I hate to break the news to the script owner, but there a more than just a few idiots who are scamming with your script. And you have just developed a tool that will make it easier for them.:confused:

If owners want to add their own links, then add them with the minimum bid. It does not take that much time.

We certainly don't need a F*CK*ng Automatic Bulk Submission Tool.

There have got to be better developments for this script than this.:(

homepageofthemonth, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:

When you can learn to come at me with an ORIGINAL RESPONSE, and not someone elses then I will read it. Until then, it is in FACT, YOU are the one driving more idiocy in this thread than necessary.

I had a response retort that was going to put you out of the park, forget out left field, however, as soon as you said you run 24 bid directories... I need not say anything further.

Also, you're not Edwin Waters, so... I'm sure you know what I am referring too.

an0n, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  18. Ceasar

Ceasar Banned

Best Answers:
    Actually its Edwin, not Edgar! I wrote the Wiki and the Knol!

...and it is plain to see I will in no way get through that tough skin of yours.

So believe what you want to believe!

Ceasar, Dec 14, 2008 IP
    iowadawg likes this.
  19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. I corrected the type O

2. Your ignorance will continue to undermine the legitimacy of what a bidding directory is. And since you appear to be of retired military status, I'm more than certain your skin and head are a hell of a lot thicker than mine. (ala brainwashed too at that)

3. I believe in my PayPal account, my Business Account, my Bank Account & Savings Account. (and I didn't need 24 of anything or some MOD to provoke falsified bids either to get there)

I do it well, and do it with honesty and integrity. Sorry the same cannot be said for you. Good luck with your '24' hahaha

an0n, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  20. elusid

elusid Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey man whats up with all the idiocy jabs you keep pokin' at people....

if you want to be taken seriously don't come off like your all high and mighty.

Now taking your whole user bids into bid directory to be part of or add content to the directory philosophy... I totally follow you on that one. But when you launch a new site how in the hell do you expect to get the search bots to come crawling your way without any content? hmmmm lets see.. YOU add some sites... usually 5-10 to fill up your first page all at the very minimum bid. Thats how and why this tool exist... yeah sure maybe 5% webmasters use this to inflate their bids which becomes very obvious especially since its a brand new site....

This just seems like another lame slam on bid directories *yawn* boooooooring.

I think the internet is far big enough for directories and bid directories to coexist.

ez.

elusid, Dec 17, 2008 IP
    jitendraag likes this.