1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Click Through Rate Relation to Niche

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Tarkan, Dec 14, 2008.

I am using 2 Google Adsense ads per page, one on the main page at "content bottom", and one inside articles as a vertical 2 ads inside the content at the top.

I don't think my ad placement can be any better. Also my ads blend in with the site theme. So I don't think there is much else I can do to improve CTR.

I am afraid that the topic I have, programming, provides a bad CTR and thus bad revenue. I'm getting a very low CTR on average, how is your CTR?

Should I be getting more CTR in this niche?
    I know like in a gaming site CTR would be dead low for example.

Any tips on improving my ad placement or ad types or colors? (site in Sig)

Tarkan, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  2. SEOTherapy

SEOTherapy Banned

Best Answers:
    I suggest you just try to see how it goes first. Don't assume.
    Maybe you can put a small 125 x 125 on the section where it says Articles on your site.

As for your forum, maybe you can try what DP is doing right now.
    Put some text links below the first post for members, or you can put a large rectangle box under the first posts for higher CTR.

SEOTherapy, Dec 14, 2008 IP
    Tarkan likes this.
  3. Onera

Onera Peon

Best Answers:
    Technology topic, including software development, that attract very tech savvy visitors don't do good in adsense.

Onera, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  4. Y2K

Y2K Peon

Best Answers:
    You are correct,I got more donation instead adsense clicks on my development software website.Now I removed all adsense ads and replace with big button donation. And glad that's work :D

Y2K, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  5. cormar

cormar Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is that, When you make tech savy websites, the most visitors do have knowledge about 'Adsense'. So they are unlikely to click your ads. Coz they dont wanna you earn money?? huh!?

cormar, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  6. Chip27

Chip27 Peon

Best Answers:
    You have a good site structure and blending ads, but I think the poblem is your link colour. I find it horrible when I see red all over the place, red is used to attract people's attention, reading should be relaxing for the eyes, a clean template and and easily readable colour and font should be used. I suggest you go to library and rent a book on advertising principles or something related. Changing all that red would improve user experience, bounce rate and possibly click-through rate

Chip27, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  7. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm interesting stuff.
    So, You're saying, more ads possibly on main page, and via articles (since I haven't reached ad limit yet).

Also, red color might not help CTR hmm. Yes I do plan on redesigning it a bit.

BTW, tech savvy people, do not click as many ads, not because they are not interested, but because they use the web so much that they have become adsense-blind. I'm considering, maybe even a little contrasting colors at least somewhat, or maybe trying image ads for a bit (any opinions about that?).

A donation button, heh, well I dunno about that, that would be a little odd.

Tarkan, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  8. Chip27

Chip27 Peon

Best Answers:
    I read a few books about advertising and using different advertising strategies, and also how we react to color and everything. I also was in advertising program for a semester at college. A good website to take example of is BBC. When you click their articles, you see everything is white, an image or two and the lettering is done in grey with an easy to read font. Small details like picking up the right writing font good sizes of titles and colors can make a big difference.

And yeah, my parents made me realise when I was 16 that I would be ashamed to ask a friend or someone I know to 'donate' to my website... Anyway good luck with your ads and tell me how it goes!

Chip27, Dec 14, 2008 IP
  9. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah I see, yeah, that's a good example.

So what color themes would you recommend?

Tarkan, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  10. Chip27

Chip27 Peon

Best Answers:
    In your links in general like navigation you could try putting them a darker blue to see how it goes. Also on your main page I noticed every 4 lines theres a social button of -(share, add comment,read more)- it looks like a lot to me, instead of leaving the 'share' button and similar links, it makes more sense to put it at the end of the article page, because 1 line of links on every 4 lines looks like spam lol. Also all those links that were in red, changing them in a darker blue would definitely be better than red. Red is usually used to draw attention because something could be important, for example important news or an important release, a special promotion, etc, using it like regular text is stressful for the eyes. Like I said, you could try to put your links in dark blue and maybe have a poll on your site and ask your users if they like it better, it's up to you

Chip27, Dec 15, 2008 IP
    Tarkan likes this.
  11. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, I guess you're right. I was just using red because its a color of the theme, and I thought Red attracts attention so, more CTR and attention to ads I thought.

Tarkan, Dec 15, 2008 IP