1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More love for Python

Discussion in 'Programming' started by SunCraft, Dec 14, 2008.

Any Python programmer here? Where do I request to add a sub-form here for python?

SunCraft, Dec 14, 2008 IP
    ncz_nate likes this.
  2. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not much.

Try collecting 10% of DP userbase signatures, then post a request to one of the admins.

Peace,

Barti1987, Dec 14, 2008 IP
    ncz_nate likes this.
  3. SunCraft

SunCraft Peon

Best Answers:
    This must be a dumb question but I'll ask anyways. Where do I find out DP userbase number?

SunCraft, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  4. SunCraft

SunCraft Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeap, it was a dumb question: Members: 233,392, Active Members: 60,247.

But which one is the 10% based on?

SunCraft, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  5. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Python is not that amazing. You'd see Perl, C++, C#, Java sub-forums before you'd see Python (it's pretty much a rarely used language). It's kind of like being a part of a cult, there's no unique use for it.

Tarkan, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  6. lephron

lephron Active Member

Best Answers:
    Python is a rarely used language? Maybe 10 years ago! YouTube is written almost entirely in Python, and it's one of the very few languages used at Google. The popular site Reddit is also written in Python, along with lots of other massively popular websites. In fact for web development I'd say python is second only to PHP!

lephron, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  7. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is like one of the only companies excessively using python.
    Reddit ok cool one more.

Python, is simply an OOP language just like PHP, except a little older and rarely used. One reason for that is its terrible syntax, with whitespaces actually being interpreted (that's just bad). But some major websites use them, because they can, and it could be more secure (less people know about python vulnerabilities).

Tarkan, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  8. lephron

lephron Active Member

Best Answers:
    Tarkan: What gives you the impression that Python is rarely used? Or that significant whitespace is bad?

lephron, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  9. lephron

lephron Active Member

Best Answers:
    lephron, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  10. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes that proves my point. I'm not saying Python is as rare as LISP or some crazy language. It's one of the "general languages" that a lot of people know about. However, it is rarer amongst those top languages, because it has nothing advantageous about it. Perl and PHP can be used for Web, and thus no advantage in Web development. C++, C#, Java, Perl is also used in programming/scripting and so Python doesn't have an advantage there either.

Some people prefer it of course, but it's not enough to say "let's make a subforum quick!". Hence why I said you'd see a C++ C or C# subforum before that. Although, since this website relates to web, Perl and Python subforums being added is more likely.

Tarkan, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  11. blackthought286

blackthought286 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tarken - Python is becoming a very mainstream language. It's not the top language but it is in the top 10.

blackthought286, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  12. SunCraft

SunCraft Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree with Tarkan about the assessment of Python in terms of both popularity and it's advantage. But of course that's been covered elsewhere many times by people with a lot more credentials and knowledge.

I do agree that C# and Java is more popular than Python. But in the context that we are talking about which is web development my guess is that Python is more relevant than Perl and C++. But I would think there is enough traffic/post to C#, Java and Python. So, I'm surprised that C# and Java is not already there. I guess then the questions is why so stingy?

SunCraft, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  13. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    Python is nowhere near the popularity of Java, C#, C++, C, PHP, any of those languages. I am not sure why you argue about it. There is no clear advantage to Python that other languages don't have. It's simply a newer Perl basically with different syntax and OOP capability. It has no unique advantage, hence why it's not as popular to program in.

Why should someone go out and learn Python for Web programming when PHP servers are readily available in every server and easier to program with. Why should someone go Python in programming when they already can learn C++ or Java for all the same capabilities and more efficient compilers and advantages with Java and C++. C# as well is pretty worthless just a marketing ploy by microsoft to guarantee the future of Windows Operating System (because C# developers will demand it; and so will companies that have been dumb enough to program in it).

Learning other languages are fun, sometimes people like it, sometimes people see some companies paying more so they learn Python or C#. But the reality is C++ and PHP have the highest advantages in programming and web development.

If you're an extremely big Python fan, I'm sure you may disagree as will a fan of C#. But they will still be wrong.

Tarkan, Dec 17, 2008 IP