1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can't I beat this lousy site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by christian231, Dec 10, 2008.

1. aimtowin

aimtowin Active Member

Best Answers:
    aimtowin, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  2. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would change the page title to:

Fishing Games | Play Free Fishing Games
    or
    Fishing Games | Free Fishing Games | Play Online

Also, if you change your page title(s), be sure to use the phrase or phrases at least once on the page. You could also use the phrase 'fishing games' in your description if you do not already.

These are the first things I would change. You can make these or similar adjustments site-wide as necessary. Page titles are SUPER-important, and I have read that the first phrase in your page title should be the one you would like the page to rank higer for. So, definitely use 'Fishing Games' first if you want to rank higher for that term than the others used in your title(s).

I just switched the order of my keyphrases in my page title, and moved up from #11 Google ranking to #3 for the term I wanted to rank for!

Best of luck!

Tara33, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  3. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    http://dir.homes-for-sale-by-owner.info
    -- This guy know how to beat google or he know how to F* google in the A**
    And he ranks high on many key words with a .info that hadly has any listings.
    Extreemly talented and I am stunned to see his performance.
    Excellent Excellent SEO - Hats off mr.

----------------

This guy out ranks me on my 3 year old directory.
    Which I mantain with devotion. (My directory is free for three years)
    no Spam - regular approvals..

stock_post, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  4. SugarUK

SugarUK Banned

Best Answers:
    some time age have alot to do with it..

SugarUK, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  5. john1021

john1021 Member

Best Answers:
    Domain Name: topfishinggames.com

Expiration Date: 2010-07-30
    Creation Date: 2008-07-30
    Last Update Date: 2008-07-30

Your site isn't very old. Just keep building high quality backlinks with the anchor text "fishing games".

john1021, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  6. bphelps

bphelps Peon

Best Answers:
    A site which is just a few months old is extremely new in Google's eyes. You need at least 6 months of age to stand a chance of ranking, especially in online games, which is very competitive. Also, as other users pointed out, your 25k of links in just a year looks suspicious to Google. At the end of the day, Google doesn't like you SEOing your site so you have to do SEO without over optimizing and getting flagged.

bphelps, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  7. Limotek

Limotek Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the last two posts sum it up. I think the rate at which you built up links and the relatively new domain has meant you've fallen into the sandbox. This will be resolved over time, just keep building quality links and you'll get there.

Limotek, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  8. Highena.com

Highena.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    i disagree with that. I recently analyzed some competitors and the ones that had varied text were ranking higher.

You say 28K in a year, thats about 13 a day. thats a lot for a fishing games site to get imo.

Highena.com, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  9. SornSoft

SornSoft Peon

Best Answers:
    Def. sounds like he's been penalized a bit on his site. There are a lot of great suggestions through this thread which should help your ranking a bit. It won't happen overnight but should work itself out over a course of time. Shouldn't take too long but def. won't be immediate.

SornSoft, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  10. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll admit I may have gone a little crazy with the link building. I'm launching another new game site and I'm really going to focus on getting quality, related links..as opposed to quantity. It's too late for that on the fishing game site so I'm going to change my title and description and try to optimize more for fishing games and see what happens. I have to believe it's just penalized for now and will pull itself out eventually. I'll just keep grinding away.

christian231, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  11. geoiss2004

geoiss2004 Guest

Best Answers:
    this is a prime example of natural link building. they have probably sat back and concentrated on running their website while you've been busy getting links. being an older site, they've also probably got a decent amount of REAL natural links over the years. give it time - you cant expect a 1 year old site to rank highly for such a targeted keyword (that gets over 60k monthly searches)

geoiss2004, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  12. geoiss2004

geoiss2004 Guest

Best Answers:
    what?! it's more like 75 a day

geoiss2004, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  13. Limotek

Limotek Peon

Best Answers:
    How did you work out 13 a day? From what I can see the domain was created July 30 2008 which means it is 5 months old so surely that works out to be roughly 187 per day.

Limotek, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  14. Namrepus

Namrepus Banned

Best Answers:
    Except his link profile, at least from a glance, is better than his competitors. I am guessing he is caught in a sandbox. His site is one year old, and Google hasnt decided it trusts him, plus he got too many links in too short a time coming from a little too specific a niche. Basically some flags went off somewhere in Google.

Meanwhile his competitors probably have older backlinks, a more natural progression of link building, etc.

Namrepus, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  15. ddzc

ddzc Peon

Best Answers:
    Where did you check your backlink count? yahoo is showing 231 links, google shows 31.

ddzc, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  16. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    christian231, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  17. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Christian,

I know I gave you some advice on changing some of your homepage but I took a little more in depth view of your site and looked at other pages in your site. I noticed none of your interior pages have PR so I'm guessing that they don't get much traffic. The most glaring thing that sticks out that's most likely holding your site back is the duplicate content on each and every fishing game page.

Here's what I saw: Welcome to TopFishingGames.com where you will find the LARGEST selection of fun, free fishing games on the entire web. We know that you fishing crazed fools eat, breathe, & sleep fish...and that's why we give you more free fishing games than any other site...completely free, all day, everyday. Go out there and catch the big one.!

You need to really do some work and change each of those pages with some long tail keywords for each page and differentiate them from each other. Give a real good description of each individual game as well as some general instructions or some kind of rating system. Just make each page stand on it's own.The only main difference on each page is the title and game but the content is the same. Get some links to those inner pages (not all, but some pages) and I'm pretty positive if you do these things your site will skyrocket, well maybe not skyrocket but you'll definitely break the 100 barrier.

Age of your site does matter but a year at targetting "Fishing Games" is plenty long enough to break into the top 30 or better.

My two main sites have taken number 1 for keywords I was initially targetting in 8 months and I'm going for higher volume keyword phrase for one of these sites (368,000 searches a month) and am in the top 10 in a year and a half.

Don't give up on this site as it may not be a penalty due to links, but rather a filter due to duplicate content on each page. Best of luck!

P.S.- Were you targetting free fishing games i.e. are most of your inbound links with that anchor text? If so, I agree with some posters here in this thread go for anchor text "Fishing Games" but vary some of them. ;)

pbruessow@msn.com, Dec 11, 2008 IP
    christian231 likes this.
  18. Li Weng

Li Weng Peon

Best Answers:
    Where are you getting your backlinks from? Are they quality links relevant to your keyword and your niche? Google gives different weight to backlinks that come from different places. I looked up this page it has one edu link which is relevant to fishing. That's backlink with some good weight.

Li Weng, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  19. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    pbruessow@msn.com, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  20. LawnchairLarry

LawnchairLarry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These suggestions should give your website a boost in the rankings:

1. You should definitely change your title and metadata. For instance:

<title>Play free online fishing games</title>

I am a bit in doubt as to which title to choose: on one hand repeating the main keywords is not good (looks spammy), but on the other hand you should put the main keyword as close to the start of the title as possible, like Lycos said.
    2. I would replace the first phrase of the meta description with "Free online fishing games." and keep the second phrase shorter (remember: 150 max!)
    3. Not that keywords help much at all, but I would also replace the single noun keywords with compound keywords: free online games, free online fishing games, online fishing games, free fishing games, fishing games, etc. You're not going to rank for the keyword "games" in a million years, so you may just as well omit that keyword.
    4. Man, you've got a weird title and first paragraph on your homepage:

<h1 class="title"><span style="text-transform: none; letter-pacing:0pt"><span lang="en-us">Fishing</span> Game<span lang="en-us">s<span style="font-weight: 400">For The Online Angler</span></span></span></h1><p class="meta"><span style="font-size: 9pt"><a href="index.html"><font color="#000000">F</font><span lang="en-us"><font color="#000000">ishing games</font></span></a><span lang="en-us"> are a great way to get in some practice when you can't make it out to the lake.

No search-engine will understand that, so I suggest you to change it to:

<h1 class="title">Fishing Games For The Online Angler</h1>
      <p>Fishing games are a great way to get in some practice when you can't make it out to the lake. ...</p>

or

<h1 class="title">Fishing Games For The Online Angler</h1>
      <h2>Fishing games are a great way to get in some practice when you can't make it out to the lake.</h2>
      <p>...</p>
    5. For the other pages: You've got a serious duplicate content issue with the same text on fishing partners, new games, advertise and the contact pages! Fix that immediately!
    6. Delete the link below "topfishinggames.com" in the footer and keep the link under "free fishing games".
    7. Make certain your website looks good in other browsers that IE only!
    8. Make certain all the links to your homepage point to your full URL including the www (if you choose so) and the trailing slash and set up a proper redirect. There's no need to include index.html in the link to the homepage.
    9. Request a modification of the anchor texts in the backlinks that you've got. Having only two anchor texts looks unnatural. You should vary both the anchor texts (use e.g. the keywords I suggested) and the descriptions of the backlinks!
    10. The subpages are rather heavy on the AdSenseless ads, so you may want to delete some of those.

LawnchairLarry, Dec 13, 2008 IP