1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dealing with rude clients

Discussion in 'General Business' started by edr, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I just refunded a client his order because he gave me the option which I am honestly grateful for because he had been rude from the get-go.

What I wonder is how do other services manage clients who just seem to lack any and all understanding that some things are still human-centered? How do you manage those clients who have no patience?

edr, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask yourself how McDonalds would handle rude customers. They just ignore rudeness, move on to the next customer and smile all the way.

You don't have the problem, they do. So just get on with life and try to ignore those sort of setbacks.

Rod, Jun 15, 2006 IP
    obenix likes this.
  3. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    As frustrating as rude clients can be, to retaliate with rudeness of your own could not only be damaging to your reputation, but also lower you to the client's level. I have to agree with Rod to some extent. If a client isn't happy with your work (provided you've done everything you could to work with their expectations), it's their issue. Try not to worry about it. These experiences help prepare us for other potential pitfalls down the road.

DeniseJ, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  4. Andreas Bard

Andreas Bard Peon

Best Answers:
    For me it usually ends with an agreement that the customer leaves for another. I have no time arguing with rude people, I refund them if they have the right to a refund and then just say good bye.
    People which you can not speak to and make the understand, you should not bother with.

//Andreas

Andreas Bard, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  5. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Usually try to fix the situation. As I have to eat...But at a certain easily reached point. Walk away and remain dignified.

ROAR, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  6. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Kill them with kindness always works. This way they can not say that you are rude!!

Cheap SEO Services, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  7. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't ever retaliate against them, try to fix any problem, and remain professional at all times.

Sometimes you encounter people that you cant please. Some of these people will always be un-pleasable, no matter how long they are your customer, and what your history with them is, and what you do to make their situation work.

Personally I don't think that you want people like this as a customer at all. They take up too much time, and you get nothing out of it. Even if you perform the best customer support in the world, and you correct or prevent every problem that could ever arise, they will still turn around and let anyone else know about how terrible you are.

As long as you do everything you can to correct a situation, then there is nothing wrong with turning down their business. In the long run, some customers are better left to someone else.

jestep, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  8. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    I've never really had any major problems with any of my customers, but my rule of thumb is this: if they pay their bills on time they're OK. If they're not paying up on time, they're not worth bothering with.

If people are making unreasonable demands then charge them accordingly - as long as you're getting the money for it, why do you care if they're a bit abrupt?

forkqueue, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  9. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Kick them in the nuts, throw them out the building and tell them to f*** off!

mcfox, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  10. weebguy

weebguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Rude customers are part of the business, but i do like mcfox's method :D

weebguy, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  11. utahpigeons

utahpigeons Peon

Best Answers:
    I have found that if you have tried and are still having issues. Its best to part ways and do whatever you can to disassociate yourself from them. As I have found that these are normally the folks that go around and try to slander your name.

Just my 2 cents worth...

- Ryan

utahpigeons, Jun 17, 2006 IP
  12. timiepn

timiepn Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can fix the problem then do so. Sometimes they become repeat/good customers.

If it can't be fixed be nice and count it as loss.

The damage that they might do word of mouth may stop you from getting a few sales, so always try and be nice. It might get you more money.

timiepn, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  13. wheel

wheel Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you gotta keep it clean. Lots of my clients are brusque but that's the nature of the clients I deal with.

I did have one client rip me a new one a few years ago. I'd worked like 7 days a week for two years getting the business going. I'd been waiting months for something back from one of my clients. In the meantime, I take 1 day off with my family (first in years). Yet I still called in for messages. So I call this client back (on my day off) at about 3 oclock, returning their message from 11 oclock that morning. They had some questions about the info I'd been waiting months for. (None of this was urgent). They unloaded on me about my service level and generally yelled at me because this wasn't getting done quick enough. (again, my first day off in years, it's a non-urgent question, I called back only a few hours later, and I'd been waiting for months for them to get back to me).

I'd really had enough. When I got home that evening I sent them an email telling them that unfortunately I couldn't meet their service level expectations and was refunding them all their money. Assured them I had numerous competitors who would be happy to help them. (all of my competitors are multiples more expensive, and most have a rep for dismal service - I've got a rep for excelling in customer service).

Client got the email, apologized profusely. Years later, they're still a client and I've never had a problem with them since. Ultimately, it's OK to fire the odd client.

(actually that does remind me. I fired another client recently for accusing me of all types of unethical behavior. No problem, here's your money back, cya. He immediately went to all my competitors. When he found out their prices - and that most wouldn't even call him back - I got the apology again and begging to come back. I had a friend intervene on his behalf with me otherwise I wouldn't have taken this client back).

wheel, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  14. JustinL

JustinL Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree more. It is one of the harder things to do, but definately the right thing to do. I think everybody at some point in their life, at one time or another (anybody who has worked in customer service) has encountered "that person". I used to work at a high-end hotel and dealt with a lot of those...the over friendly, fake smile approach worked like a charm.

JustinL, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  15. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what kind of business you're in. If it's just a short project, suck it up, be nice, and collect your fee. If it's a long-term relationship, determine how much it's affecting the rest of your business. If this client is habitually causing problems, not paying on time, demanding extra time from you away from other clients, etc. then there does come a point where it's ok to end the relationship. You just need to weigh the pros and cons like with everything else in business.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  16. Susan Arts

Susan Arts Peon

Best Answers:
    Great topic! One of the first things I learned when it comes to business development is - if I sign a 'difficult/rude' client, I end up causing a HUGE problem with the team that has to end up managing that client.

So, part of my qualification is, if I can't see myself working well with them, then I don't take the client on at all!

~ Susan

Susan Arts, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  17. stickman373

stickman373 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah having dealt with a few pain in the you know what customers, you have to try and be as kind as possible. Take things in stride, but it comes to a point to decide if the customer is being rude or going past that. I've had a customer send an email full of profanity which just isn't acceptable on any level. It's clear at least in our TOS that that kind of attitude results in an account termination.

stickman373, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  18. reema

reema Peon

Best Answers:
    whatever is your field, customer is always right, because customer is the God.

reema, Jun 20, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.