1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some SEO myths busted

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Web Design Company, Dec 12, 2008.

Myth: Proper Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques help your site to have high rankings in the search engine results.

Truth: There is no such guarantee. Sometimes web sites following the basics of SEO from its inception fall way back in the rankings as compared to other web sites that do not use any search engine optimization. Of course, a search engine optimized web site has greater chance of having high rankings than ones that don’t follow SEO. However, no guarantee can be given regarding achieving high ranks.

Myth: Pay Per Click (PPC) advertising & Search Engine Optimization (SEO) are same.

Truth:
    Search Engine Optimization & PPC advertisements are different. SEO techniques adhere to specific criteria favored by the search engine algorithms. This helps the robots of these search engines give a high rank to your pages.
    Pay Per Click is the process where keywords are purchased through a bidding system. Every time a person clicks on your link, you have to pay. Pay Per Click will boost your site’s traffic and can help you get a high rank in the search engine results. However, it can cost you a lot, especially for popular and competitive keywords related to your area of expertise.

Myth: You must use CSS to design your web pages rather than using table/cell based layouts.

Truth: Use of CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) is better as it makes your pages load faster, separates design elements from page content and increases browser compatibility. However, it is not absolutely necessary to use CSS.

Myth: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques help to fool the search engines.

Truth: Search Engines have evolved with time. Now, they have become very smart and can distinguish good content from the ones trying to trick them. So, instead of saturating your pages with keywords, take some time to build a web site with strong coding and quality content.
    Myth: I only need to optimize my site for the search engines of Google and Yahoo.

Truth: Yahoo and Google do not control the major share of the Internet. Other search engines such as msn, ask.com, excite and others are still used by many web browsers. It pays in the long run to have a web site that is friendly to all the major search engines rather than concentrating on only one or two.

Myth:
    Your web site should have a high keyword density to make it optimized for the search engines.

Truth: Keyword density of your web site should stay between 3% and 10%. If it goes over 10%, then some search engines may penalize your site for unnecessary keyword saturation.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some more articles on web design and development, SEO can be read at http://www.webdesignexperts4u.com/articles/all_articles.html

Web Design Company, Dec 12, 2008 IP
    pbruessow@msn.com likes this.
  2. unna

unna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    everybody knows this

post some different

unna, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  3. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    As we have covered many times on DP, there is NO such thing as an ideal keyword density percentage range. Sites with 0% density can rank #1; conversely, sites with 10% keyword density can rank #1.

What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Niche, purpose of web site, competition, and so many other factors determine what any one page's keyword density should be. It's not even really safe to assume a percentage range as a 'rule of thumb'. It is such a varied science...

Tara33, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  4. DrivingTraffic.com

DrivingTraffic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah... i like your effort but some of those Myths & tips are pretty basic stuff. Who actually thinks PPC and SEO are the same?

DrivingTraffic.com, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  5. DomainMagia

DomainMagia Peon

Best Answers:
    Well. Simple questions remain. Does more than 80% of the global search market mean major share or not? Also I need some development hints. How do you build site that is friendly for G and Y but unfriendly for MSN or Ask?

DomainMagia, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  6. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is a pretty useless thread my opinion. The information is much too basic and most people on this forum likely know this stuff already. I don't agree with his points either. In my opinion Yahoo and Google do control the major share of the search market. By optimizing for these two search engines, you usually end up pleasing the other search engines at the same time.

I agree with Tara that keyword density is not important. It doesn't make sense for a website to require a certain keyword density to be considered relevant for a keyword search. Just ignore keyword density and write your content for your visitors.

Your first myth isn't a very strong one either. You pretty much contradict yourself in the 'Truth' section. The myth doesn't say anything about guarantees, yet you do acknowledge that seo helps rankings. SEO does help a website get rankings.

vansterdam, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  7. onlywin

onlywin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes... too basic stuff... please post something more advanced ;)

onlywin, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  8. StarkReality

StarkReality Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, depending on buget you can guarantee rankings, at least as long as links are still the most important part of the game. It takes time and money, but ranking is never based on luck.

Absolutely agreed, it's totally different, although often using Adwords for a site increases Google crawling activity and can help getting a site or certain parts of it indexed.

I'd disagree. The crawler always reads a HTML page from the top to the bottom. If you are using frames, a top navigation for example would always have to be in the code right after the header. CSS gives you the ability to make certain elements appear on the top of a site although it's at the bottom of the code. This way you can put your keyword rich content where it should be and shift navigation, any repetitive elements, further down in the code. This can help alot, e.g. for a big shopping site with a huge category navigation.

Yep, but the blackhat quickshots can be profitable as well, not so steady, not long term, but good for a quick buck. The search engines are much smarter today, but they are never as smart as a human trying to trick them.

They do control a major share, it's always around 80%, here is some quick stats from september http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/1...ket-share-just-went-up-again-in-august-to-63/ Together with MSN it's 90%, so the rest is breadcrumbs.

Myth busted!

StarkReality, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  9. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How would one define a "myth"?

internetmarketingiq, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  10. phpwnes

phpwnes Peon

Best Answers:
    everyone who does SEO knows those facts tsk tsk

phpwnes, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  11. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    1- Myth: Everyone who posted on this thread knows all about SEO

2- Myth: Beginners don't need the help that the threadstarter provided.

3- Myth: People always appreciate a helpful thread for beginners.

4- Myth: I really like people who bust other people when they have nothing to add.

5- Myth: I'm a personal friend of Web Design Company and helping them out.

6- Myth: Many of the posters to this thread were born with SEO knowledge and never learned from others.

OK guys, get the point. Web Design is trying to help others with this thread. Although there maybe some subtle inaccuracies, they are a help to those who are just beginning webmasters. Were you guys ever "newbies"?

pbruessow@msn.com, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  12. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Accurate on most count accept the 'SE share'. Google, yahoo nearly own the search market. For specific countries there are other SEs. I am starting to see more traffic from guruji than from yahoo for one of my sites.

jitendraag, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  13. seohelp

seohelp Peon

Best Answers:
    you are right at most but with respect to google you are missing something which lights on the exact usage of search engines whereas using css will definitely effect ranking. Why ? because loading of page is one factor that is calculated in the ranking.

seohelp, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  14. Niche

Niche Peon

Best Answers:
    I honestly thought this was going to be interesting:(

Niche, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  15. evolveforever

evolveforever Peon

Best Answers:
    thx but everything was known.

evolveforever, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    post of the week, definitely!

contentboss, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  17. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why this thread is getting such a hard time. People post copy and paste stuff from a 4 year old ezine article and people line up with "this is grate tip 4 noobs" comments.
    It's put some stuff out for comment, and makes more sense than a lot of stuff posted.

magda, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  18. speedymove

speedymove Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO is highly overrated in my humble opinion. Of course you need to think about things like having target keywords in your title, in the article etc but when you think about it, you are going to be hard pushed to write an article on poodle training without mentioning poodles in the text. Add to that a well researched and written article will always contain keywords that are relevant and with good LSI by default.

On-page SEO is for webmasters who are not experts in the niche they are writing about.

speedymove, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  19. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also if 50% of the post is incorrect?

siflur, Dec 13, 2008 IP
  20. goodmast3r

goodmast3r Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google webmaster has opened a chat session on 22 October 2008. Here are a recap of their live sesssion chat session. One interesting thing at the chat session is the myth about Google ranking.

goodmast3r, Dec 13, 2008 IP