1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you check on your editor application status?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gregdavidson, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I applied to be an editor on Dmoz a few months ago and never received an email confirming whether I was denied or accepted. Is there any way to check on the status of my application? Also, who approved the editor applications? The community or an employee of Dmoz?

gregdavidson, Dec 11, 2008 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    As I explained in an adjacent thread,
    It is possible (but very unlikely) that your application is still awaiting review. People often forget to ensure that DMOZ mail can get through their spam filters, so I suggest following the above advice to check what happened with your application.

makrhod, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  3. aspardeshi

aspardeshi Peon

Best Answers:
    if you know any way to check your application, please let me know, I will check it now. It is 5 years not that I have submitted application and still awating reply.

aspardeshi, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    There are no editor applications still awaiting review from more than a few months ago, but I already gave you the link to ask specifically.
    However, I suspect you are talking about your suggestion of a site for review, rather than your application to become a volunteer? If so, then DMOZ does not offer status reports.

makrhod, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  5. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    in other words said same thing just more easy and not so gentle :
    1. For editor status check you will receive an email really easy saying you aren't accepted ( about the rumors with '' one of meta will review your application and will give a review about your application is completely false , since the email which I got didn't had any review ! just a blank space on this spot ) . In case you didn't got yet the email with reject , the application is '' under review '' and probably never none will care about it , if is not simply deleted by system after some time ( similar process like bulk folder from free emails ) , so you have to wait forever hopping your application will be '' sometime maybe checked - its applied same waiting like with the suggest url feature ''

2. About checking of url suggestion checking official ODP will not provide any info about this , of course if you follow the guidelines maybe sometime someone will see your suggestion , its a random game like dices :) ... flying around loads of rumors about '' rules which are followed '' about the editorial team , and how fair play they are and how much they offer their time voluntary to help just for helping ODP to provide positive experience for the visitors of the directory not for webmasters , but in two days of personal experience during browsing on ODP I found this rules can be break :) , Its seems also most of editors even don't need the suggestion of url from webmasters just because they can add the sites on the directory when they wish ( of course if they consider to be valuable for the public audience ).

trustnobodynever, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Every editor application is reviewed by a volunteer meta editor or catmod, and a feedback is sent to the applicant.
    If the application is unsuccessful, there is a list of the most common reasons for rejection, and if there are no additional comments, the applicant is expected to know which one(s) from the list apply to them.
    However, in many cases the reviewer will add additional comments to help the applicant prepare a more careful application next time. :)

makrhod, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  7. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    shall I forward you the sweet email with this feedback :)? Some of the reasons for what I cant read this feedback's are : 1 . I`m blind , 2. I cant read few lines of text ( until now none of this apply - atleast I`m think cant apply ) ... 3. the feedback maybe is wrote with some invisible text 4. so small letters like subpoints from bank contractual papers :) ( for this I checked again increasing the size of the text from my browser ) .

I can bet the answer which I got with the rejection was automatically generated :) but I`ll ask one of friends to apply in same way like I`ve done another way to check if this email is automatically generated is to spend half a hour in town on some internet cafee filling again the application with false info ( i`m scary about this method , if by any chance the application going to be approved by some catmod who do hes job like editor who added on ODP a geocities site with one html page full with affiliate links , or another one who added a popular mlm / refferal scheme which I noticed to be there today , or worthless link who's redirecting on one of knowns girls community - and yes I saved this links there just in case some of you guys ask for them to review :) )

8. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tied to do it, and have been unsuccesdful since 2005, so I think, going to DMOZ itself is a big waste of time...

rsrikanth05, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  9. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    well is not waste of time , its true maybe most important directory from the web ever . Its has hes reputation and we have to respect it , that don't means everything is ok there. There are bad managed things and peoples with not so '' honest '' activities ... . Also there are '' maybe some mistakes '' like they just said on the resource-zone under one of threads where I try to get some help :) . If webmasters have to follow some guidelines others don't don't have to do them , if you are asking for some clarification and after few step by step pointing on direction where you consider to be wrong you got a metallic answer '' this things aren't discussed on public '' & '' this is volunteer job '' & '' this is our guidelines '' .

10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    As I explained, every editor application is reviewed by one or more volunteer meta-editors or catmods. There is no such thing as "automatic" rejections.

If an application is unsuccessful, feedback is sent by the reviewer.

DMOZ gets hundreds of editor applications each week, and every single one is reviewed by a volunteer. So it makes sense to have a standard, comprehensive letter with a list of the most common reasons why the application was unsuccessful. If there are additional points the reviewer wants to make, they can add them at the bottom.

makrhod, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  11. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that would be a waste of your time and it will waste the time of the volunteer reviewer, so I don't see the point.
    I have already explained several times that every application is reviewed individually. To repeat: There is no automatic review process.

makrhod, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  12. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:

:) Of course is wasted time this is one of the reason for which don't even have to get bored to do this , was just a short point to say what I can do to check if there this editorial applications are human review ( or even read by a human ) the answer on this particular review come even faster than the answers from the resource-zone forums damn it , even faster than the gorgeous reply from Jim pointing me back to the guidelines , isn't that the fast way to close the mouth of one idiot like me who wasted like two days from hes life trying to figure what the heck and where I done something wrong ? Even if the first intention was just to ask nicely if is true the rumor with the glitches from ODP . Actually I think this applications are halted like the suggest link feature , suppose there are rules also and same type of guidelines are too of course the editors will have to follow them like they are and its a must to be followed .

13. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    So now you are complaining because a volunteer worked too quickly?? LOL
    I really think you might not yet understand that we are free to spend our editing time as we choose.

After I post here, I might go and review some editor applications, or I might add some sites to a category, or I might look at some Update Requests, or fix some poor descriptions or send feedback to another editor or investigate an abuse report, or fix a dead listing or ...

Or I could go and do some gardening instead. Or do a crossword, or finish my jigsaw. :)

makrhod, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Both features are working fine, and have been used many times already today. :)

makrhod, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  15. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course since is volunteer work , each editor is free to spend hes time how hes wish and when he wish , actually we ( the innocent users like me who used ODP and webmasters who suggested sites there ) we all are always graceful for you guy's for your efforts and time spent there ( following the guidelines and the rules :) )

trustnobodynever, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  16. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a waste of time.
    I would have a never spent that much time outside the real world...

rsrikanth05, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  17. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    well some of us really have to work to afford to pay the rent / to buy food and other things , some of peoples going to work like cabdrivers , others like salesman's , others chose for their life to work on this industry of IT , and we have to spend loads of hours on the desk just with the keyboards and screens on the front trying to do best what we can do :) . Its same thing I think for what our lovely volunteers from ODP chose to spend their time helping the world with their great job editing on ODP , of course respecting rules and guidelines ( even if innocent peoples its seems to see strange and silly things there and when they trying to pointing some things out getting annoy and are put on '' bad light '' ) :) .

18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We have no problems with people pointing out things in the directory where we have dead links or whatever, we sometimes do have a problem with the way they are pointed out, like when it is wrapped around statements that because some URL's are dead etc that means an editor is corrupt. See what I mean!

Anonymously, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  19. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    So this means I just got peoples angry because I write what I write on the way what I write :) .... Let's make some things clear at this point , first of all i`m not in charge to judge and I don't wanna judge how ODP staff manage the things . But like a user of ODP for very short time and like a webmaster lets hope for long and happy time , I have my right to say what I think and when I think , like editors are free to offer their volunteer work when they wish and how they wish . Way like I pointed first two links was perfectly fine , after a deep reading the guidelines and the rules named there I wanted to report other links but I wanted to have an answer why they are there and hows come the rules aren't always respected like Jim and others claiming they are . After the answer in the WAY like I got it decided to not report the last batch of links just because its pointless to do it , since peoples who bother to answer to some of the retarded questions of mine pointed me back on the '' guidelines and rules '' , its almost impossible to prove for them the links at the date when was added was own by same person like they are owned now , the same links have same content which its seems violate the named guidelines and the rules which are claimed to be respected always , and like a global coverage come the master piece '' a mistake '' . It's true if you asking me like a user of ODP I had not so great experience with this links and will be better for me to see them removed , in same way its true if you are asking me from the webmaster point of view I can easy register the dead domains , or future domains which I can found more faster its seems like the tools which are pretending to scan always ODP for this things ... and I`m not have to get bored with the '' suggestion feature '' which its seems to be ignored even if same officials claiming its used often and there at least on this forums , and on other forums like this are idiots like me who really think they can do something better suggesting the links . So .

I didn't had even a second intention to say about anyone of your current editors or past ones to be corrupt , actually its a subjective point of view this thing with corruption and can be easy interpreted from a personal point of view . If that was understand from what I write there on DP or on resource-zone forums i`m beg your pardon and I`m asking for apologies because I`m trully think this peoples are doing things from and with passion like I have for my projects and my work . Even if maybe sometime some of peoples can do mistakes its a HUMAN thing and always its understandable , just the point there is mistakes can be '' fixed '' ;) ... see the point where I wanted to go with the thread from resource-zone and with the shoots from this forums too ? Think about a second , ODP claiming to have 82,150 on this morning , its almost impossible to think all those peoples can be controlled by any chance anytime , how much peoples from this ones answer there on DP and on resource-zone forums ? less than 10 :) .... did you see now where was the point where I wanted to go with same discussions ? Ah I know I become annoying and this put me on '' bad light '' correct . It's more easy to tell to a moron who's coming on your forums asking nicely for some help '' follow the guidelines '' and '' there are rules '' ; Do you know what ? rules are made by humans for humans , this don't means we have to act like robots , we have to act like humans !

20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Review process maybe individual but reply is generic like everything else at DMOZ. :rolleyes:

But then I wouldn't be surprised if Robozilla decided that humans are liability and simply removed all editors leaving few meta profiles to pretend that there are still humans around, if we look at posts from DMOZ staff on forums we will notice that they are very repetitive and very limited as if done by a bot. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 27, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.