1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

492 Hops & 0 sales??

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by AffiliateEsprit7, Dec 9, 2008.

Hey everyone,

I'm rather new to affiliate marketing. I started about a month ago & my first three weeks went smoothly, about 1 sale/120 hops.

But the past 7 days I have received 492 hops and 0 sales!!!!

How is this possible? Could there be something wrong with my link? Please help

90% of my traffic is targeted, quality traffic & the product is generally high converting. I'm working very hard but not making any money this past week I don't understand please help

AffiliateEsprit7, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  2. jimmybloggs91

jimmybloggs91 Peon

Best Answers:
    what are you promoting?

jimmybloggs91, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  3. terryd

terryd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of it will come down to the product you are promoting.

terryd, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  4. Czzarre

Czzarre Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, its likely the product. The fact is you GOT them there. They clicked the link. You did your job. Its the products landing page which let them go. There is nothing you can do about it except get rid of that product. Go find another similar product in CB with a better landing page. If there isnt one in CB, check out other affiliate services (CJ) for one.

Good Luck

Czzarre, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  5. domainiac

domainiac Active Member

Best Answers:
    It can be a lot of things. If your product is the same and the traffic you are sending is the same as when you were converting 1 in 120 then it could just be a hiccup. It could also mean that you outperformed the product at first and this is more the norm. It is hard to say.

Here is my advice. diversify. If you have many products (even 3-4 products) and one starts to act crazy then you still have the remainder to fall back on. This is why there is an old saying about having all your eggs in one basket. If something happens to that basket, you lose all your eggs.

domainiac, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  6. diligenthost

diligenthost Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I'm surprised things on CB even sell in the first place. Every time I see one of those landing pages, I close it almost immediately. I haven't quite rigorously looked at what CB has to offer for products though, so I could be missing out on certain things!

diligenthost, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  7. AffiliateEsprit7

AffiliateEsprit7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I definitely agree that I should diversify my "affiliate portfolio" so if one of my programs begins to perform poorly I have others to back it up.

What confuses me most is, when I first started I was getting around 1 sale/120 hops(as I stated before) but all of a sudden it dropped off to nothing. It may very well be just a hiccup but an unlikely one at that.

Especially because the product I'm promoting has a very very cheap trial period that people can sign up for, so it's not likely to be the economy or anything.

8. AffiliateEsprit7

AffiliateEsprit7 Peon

Best Answers:
    And Diligenthost I agree, it's important to cloak links when promoting Clickbank products.

9. Ideastone

Ideastone Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say you need ton consider traffic quality as well as product quality. Clearly either your traffic doesn't fit the product, or perhaps the product has a junky LP. Possibly both. I dunno.

Ideastone, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  10. AffiliateEsprit7

AffiliateEsprit7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well my traffic is targeted and quality, that's for sure. I thought the landing page was good! Uh maybe I need to rethink my definition of good landing page.

11. Ideastone

Ideastone Peon

Best Answers:
    well in affiliate marketing, "good" is usually determined by how well it converts.

Ideastone, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  12. terryd

terryd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your going to dump the product then let us know what you were promoting and your landing page, then perhaps we can give you some advice.

terryd, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  13. Bill_Stanbrook

Bill_Stanbrook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As mentioned above, there are a variety of factors which could influence sales (traffic quality, landing page conversion factors, seasonal issues, etc), but from the numbers you've quoted, it just sounds like a statistical anomaly. You could just as easily have gotten twice as many sales as normal, rather than none. You would really need a sample size of thousands of sales before you start to make any judgements based on sales trends.

Personally I'd just leave the site as is, and start a new one promoting a different product. It's better to expand and diversify.

Bill_Stanbrook, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  14. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    While I don't know what niche or offer or market you're in... or the reliability of your host or CB.... I will say that in general, a conversion rate of 1:120 indicates that there may be some gaps somewhere along relevancy line. Many good CB products can convert targeted traffic consistently at between 1:25-1:50 or so.

If you're really interested in making a go of this product (since it seems like you're probably a bit vested in it at this point), here's what I'd recommend checking to make sure your offer starts converting:

- You've said your traffic is targeted, but what is it targeted to? Does the product you're promoting EXACTLY meet the needs of the traffic you're driving to it? Are you selling them a "fix" when they're just looking for information? Is the sale page/lander/etc convincing enough to people you send there that they just have to pull out their wallets because the offer seems so good?

- Does the audience have money they're willing to fork over for the product, if it meets their needs?

- What would people's main reason NOT to buy be? Are you addressing this on your ad, sales page, lander, website, or email somehow?

- Do you present your offer in such a way that people are expecting free info when in fact they have to pay?

- Are you tracking or analyzing stats? Maybe the traffic you're sending isn't as optimized as you think? Maybe they're not getting to the merchant page? Maybe your ads or landing page is getting traffic from sources you haven't expected?

Ultimately, there could be a hundred different reasons why people aren't buying, but if you can narrow down the things you're doing wrong, or at least aren't sure you're doing right, you can start to test & iterate & make progress.

-T

Telmari, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  15. frankwyatt77

frankwyatt77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been with Click bank for about 2 years now. I have on and off months of sales. I thought there may be something wrong with my link not being tracked right that i purchased a product with my Affiliate link in it. Well it worked. I am going back to the drawing board. All we can do is learn from each other and keep on trying.....

frankwyatt77, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  16. bl4ckmaN^

bl4ckmaN^ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How do you know, if a product is high-converting? I assume, you refer to the gravity, because high-gravity usually means high-converting...

bl4ckmaN^, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  17. AffiliateEsprit7

AffiliateEsprit7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I'm looking at the gravity, it's the second highest out of all cb products for that niche. I've been cloaking it with a url I own but would it maybe be better to use viralurl??

AffiliateEsprit7, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  18. HarryLee

HarryLee Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah when I started about a year ago, I also had a weight loss product I sent around 1000 hops to and didn't generate any sales. I think it was burn the fat or something like that, it had the highest gravity at the time.

The traffic was mostly from ezinearticles, so I assume it was pretty quality traffic. Didn't really know what the problem was, could be anything really. But the important lesson is to just keep on going and you'll start making money eventually. You just have to push through that first barrier.

HarryLee, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  19. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    The look of the URL is not nearly as important as the traffic you're sending to the offer, and how you're presenting it to them. A product could have sky-high gravity, but send traffic & customers to it who don't give a care, and you won't have conversions. :)

-T

Telmari, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  20. AffiliateEsprit7

AffiliateEsprit7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea you're absolutely right, traffic quality has a lot to do with it. I actually just got a sale this morning for the first time in 7 days, it's only one sale but I'm very happy with it.

Also, I see you mentioned Ezinearticles. I have a question about that site.

I submitted 2 articles to Ezines & they said "you cannot submit articles that promote a specific product". How else can we promote our products through Ezines if we are "not able to promote"??

Thanks for the all the help everyone, especially Telmari :) you're advice is very helpful

AffiliateEsprit7, Dec 10, 2008 IP