1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SE Penalty for Sitewide Directory Links

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Pacific Publishing, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol...you're funny sometimes, stoner

loredan, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Because its a footer attribute crediting the script owner. Not a spammy sitewide link paid to be there to manipulate SERPs.

mikey1090, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  3. IC_IC

IC_IC Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts has spoken about these type of links and said they should be no-followed. They would fall under 'link scheme' I think.

IC_IC, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  4. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:

Exactly, I remember when Matt published it quite some time ago.

stoner3221, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  5. seomagician

seomagician Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't post a sitewide link unless you use nofollow. This is the voice of experience. Google will pound you.

seomagician, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  6. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    If any directory charges a fee = Selling Link.

There is no other way around this, but some directories feel they are exempt from this rule. I really don't find any wrong providing free links or selling link, but what I have problem is with directories "avoiding the above statement.

These directories are the worst offenders yet they want to be seen as "saints"

So let me make this clear again,

If you have a paid directory, then you're selling links.

Is this wrong or bad? Absolutely NOT. But please, stop evading the real issue.

mywebsearches, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    tradeya likes this.
  7. johnsunvalley

johnsunvalley Banned

Best Answers:
    yes, i think so.

johnsunvalley, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  8. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i think google give less weight to directory now. they even decreased PR of most of the directories I knew. no surprise if they will pay less attention to the site the got sitewide in directory as well but i dont think google will penlize them.

tradeya, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Submit a 1 day old blog to Yahoo with 10 pages of random crap in it. See if they really do charge for a link ;);)

mikey1090, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  10. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion you’re very wrong, but that’s the great thing about the internet, everybody has a voice and an opinion.

stoner3221, Dec 10, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  11. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well put, but I strongly disagree. Yesterday I reluctantly reimbursed somebody who had paid for a review, I don't always do that but as I use a third party (Paypal) merchant it's sometimes necessary. Now if I was selling links, I would have happily accepted his money and his link.

If I was selling carrots in the market would I care who bought them? Of course not, because I am selling a product.

Often I receive a submission to a certain category and place it in a different category, that's what the submitter is paying for - my time to peruse his site, edit the title and description, and locate it. If he's not happy with that, tough luck he paid for a review not a place for his link.

All that said if somebody pays for a review and has their site accepted what you said makes sense, they paid and got a link.

syted, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  12. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They call it a "review fee" or "paid review" calling it "link selling" would be so yesterday. Link does gets "reviewed" for a price.

A "Paid Link" is when one advertise as such or is soliciting for a buyer on a website, usually as sitewide (all pages) You can find that example here on DP in the Link Selling section.

It is not illegal to charge a fee on a web directory, nor that you are not permitted to add some sitewides links on your website. What the search engine was saying is that "play fair or I'll drop you" in which it did on many of the sites that abuse it.

If you can recall not long ago, there was a frenzy of people buying and selling links (I too was guilty of that) on blogs with PR5, owner of that blog will sell or blog about your website for a fee and it will usually include a few inner pages with it.

People are constantly banging web directories about how it got it's PR being drop, saying that web directories are worthless and such. Web directories will Never be obsolete.

A web directory is nothing but a webpage(s) like any other web pages out there, so to think that a web directory has no impact any more, then all I can just say is that you are wrong, but if you wish to believe that, then that is your fact and I wont stop you and in fact I might even help you to believe that notion.

When running a web directory, one must care for it, you cannot just wait for submission to come to you because the submission is what makes your content. You'll need to create contents, things of use for your visitors, offer such a service, entice with some goodies so that they will keep coming back.

wwws, Dec 10, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.