1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google learns synonyms

Discussion in 'Google' started by stripersonline, Jun 8, 2004.

1. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I think we are talking about 2 different things here...

Stemming is Google recognizing plural forms, etc of a word (example: KW= wrap, Google also recognizes: wrapping, wrapper, wraps, etc.).

Synonyms are different words with similar meaning. If you enter, "~panties", in Google, these words are highlighted in the searches: bikini, thong, panty, bra, etc. Not exactly synonyms, but they are related.

I have no idea how this would effect the serps, unless you were searching for something really obscure. But, perhaps that is what Google is goind for... :D

ViciousSummer, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  2. stripersonline

stripersonline Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No idea, I haven't checked. I thought the fact Google was highlighting words other than the search terms was interesting, that's all. It means they are giving some relevance to those terms - in a pure text search, that wouldn't be the case.

Stemming - never heard the term before, but like I've said in the past, this whole SEO thing is extremely new to me, I prefer fishing ;)

stripersonline, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  3. stripersonline

stripersonline Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's interesting - if you enter "~striped bass fishing" (without the quotes) "striper fishing" is no longer highlighted :)

Sorry, I don't have time to enter "panties" in Google...I'm very easily distracted ;)

stripersonline, Jun 9, 2004 IP