1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using someone elses User Agreement/policies

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by fallingforme, Nov 27, 2008.

All,

Is it legal to just adopt another websites user agreement and terms of service?

Ive spoken to internet lawyers about making one for me, and one said he just uses a standard one and just fixes it up a little for my site. The cheapest lawyer i could find was 1k.

All of these policies just seem to be templates with the websites own name inserted in them.

If im making an auction site, could i just use ebays, fix it up, cut it shorter, and say its mine?

Regards,
    m

fallingforme, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  2. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    If you look at your hosts terms, then compare to several others, you will see they are pretty much the same. I do not think there would be any issues, as what you are trying to do is roughly the same, and your going to want to protect yourself the same way. Plus you can argue you came up with it. Just make sure you sanitize it of anything that could be linked back to them and you should be good. Thats what I did with my webhosting site lol.

hostlonestar, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  3. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In a word, no. Its owner might hold you liable for copyright infringement.

That lawyer you mentioned probably browsed a couple and wrote a template
    of his/her own, which can be customized. Hopefully that lawyer didn't maybe
    "rip it off" (heaven forbid) of whoever's legal terms.

Here's one that might be a wee bit affordable:

http://autolawgenerator.com/

Of course, it's always best to get one from a lawyer who's intimately familiar
    with the laws of your jurisdiction, depending on your situation.

Either because they happen to use similar wording, or they're all using exactly
    the same template "licensed" to them from whoever they got it from.

Dave Zan, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  4. cheapez

cheapez Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did the same thing, and there was this one time I advertised my service at a forum, a guy that offered the same service saw that and he didn't like it, he made a post about it.

You should spend sometimes to write your own agreement/policies, don't copy all.

cheapez, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  5. NetworkTown.Net

NetworkTown.Net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the owner did get it written up or wrote it, you could be contacted for copyright infringement. If i where you i would either take a look at others and write one up or hire someone to do it for you. Since you dont want to face trouble in the near future for something simple ;)

NetworkTown.Net, Dec 1, 2008 IP
  6. paytink

paytink Peon

Best Answers:
    Just google sample or template privacy policy, terms and conditions, and whatever else your looking for. There are many free places that offer them free of charge and allow you to customize them to suit your website. You can ever copy a few and incoporate what you need from each one. Much easier, and free :eek:)

paytink, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  7. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    There is also another post with a free policy generator.

hostlonestar, Dec 3, 2008 IP