1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Server Type Affect Google Rankings?

Discussion in 'Google' started by jburdon14, Nov 26, 2008.

I have always been wondering.... Do you think google rankings are affected by the server type (ie. Shared, VPS, Dedicated) ... If a website runs fine on a shared server would it rank less than it would if it were on a dedicated server? Just wondering? ... I doubt I will switch, I am just trying to learn as much about SEO as possible... Thanks in advance.

jburdon14, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. checkmeeveryday

checkmeeveryday Banned

Best Answers:
    checkmeeveryday, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. zee

zee Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, I know that the location of your server where your site is hosted has an affect on your rankings pretty much like .com and .co.uk but shared server or dedicated server does not really matter if you ask me. Having a dedicated server can reduce page load time and such other things but unless you are on a blacklisted hosting server, having your site on shared servers should not really have any impact on your seo

zee, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  4. artlan

artlan Member

Best Answers:
    Google recently released an article about the various myths that are floating around. One of them had to do with what you mention; shared vs. dedicated. According to Google, it makes absolutely NO - NADA - 0 difference. So there you go.

artlan, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  5. web_hunk

web_hunk Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO the Google ranking doesn't matter on the type of server that hosts your site. However, as mentioned before, the server location can have an effect. :)

web_hunk, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  6. SGBoise

SGBoise Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a good question. It wouldn't make much sense if google penalized people for having shared hosting.

The only way I can think of that will hurt you is if you have 100 blog sites linking each other with the same ip address.

SGBoise, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  7. keym4k3r

keym4k3r Peon

Best Answers:
    Dedicated server is better, but it would have the marginal difference on SERPs.
    I assume that within the same host company dedicated server has better technical performance than shared hosting.
    The factors I think about is the uptime and speed, if the page loads very slow it has some influence on crawling spiders.
    Dedicated server has usually own IP, while shared hosting means shared IP, and you have no choice of 'neighbors'.

keym4k3r, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  8. Arnaud

Arnaud Peon

Best Answers:
    Server location used to make a difference. Now you can change your default website location with Google Webmaster Tools, it is not that important.

Arnaud, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  9. jburdon14

jburdon14 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I found the article! I really appreciate you pointing it out.

jburdon14, Nov 27, 2008 IP
  10. izwanmad

izwanmad Banned

Best Answers:
    I think it will not affect much. but server location is important.....

izwanmad, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  11. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Server Type / OS dose NOT affect your websites ranking within Google search engine. PERIOD ;)

IEmailer.com, Nov 28, 2008 IP