1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is everyone on DP obsessed with making money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by prawn_86, Nov 26, 2008.

Virtually every thread on this site is concerned with making money, and "quick fix" solutions for people to make more cash.

While i know people need to make money, its highly unlikely a website is going to make any one super wealthy, and especially not in a short period of time.

Why dont more people focus on creating sites they enjoy and are passionate about rather than 'forcing' sites to try and squeeze money out of them.

Myself for example, I love travel, as does my partner. We travel overseas at least twice a year and many more times within our country per year. My site is designed for the discussion of travel and to create a like minded community. Im not doing it to make money, im doing it because we love to travel. Obviously it would be nice to cover hosting costs, but im not really that fussed as its not that expensive realistically.

"If you follow your heart, money will come"

prawn_86, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  2. DarkyLT

DarkyLT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's a bit silly question. Would you ask in forum about cars, why everyone is talking about cars instead of talking about computers for example?

It's forum about Earning money online and similar things, so obviously everyone here talks about that :)

DarkyLT, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  3. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought it was a forum for Webmasters who want to discuss all aspects, not just making money. Whereas the vast majority of posts seem to be about how to make money.

Its like a car forum where the majority of posts was about how to make money from cars...

4. Highena.com

Highena.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    True, there are a lot of posts here about making money, but DP isn't just about that. Anyway, is there something wrong with wanting to make money online? Of course not. It beats working for somebody else.

Why the adsense then and selling ads in your sig?

Highena.com, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  5. ErnestHemingway

ErnestHemingway Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People say money is not everything.
    But truth be told.

Money is everything, money makes life a lot easier, money allows you to live an exotic happy life..
    Money Money its all about money my honey...

ErnestHemingway, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  6. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not saying one shouldnt take the opportunity to make money (hence me selling ads), and yes i agree that money plays a very important part in life (hell i have a finance degree so i think i understand it better than most), but i think that too many ppl on this site are just tryng to build sites to make cash, rather than doing it as something they enjoy, which if you are doing that ends up being the same as working for someone.

People say things like "I want to spend X and then earn Y", when on the Internet a lot comes down to hard work and if you are passionate about your site you are more likely to put in that hard work.

"If you love what you do you will never work a day in your life"

7. slick4788

slick4788 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is sort of like the 'you should always love your work' argument. I think one shouldn't be naive. Work for money. Majority of people (80%+) out there getting up for work are not the 'happiest people of the world.' If everyone did what they loved, we would be out of business. Cash doesn't come easy, it has to be earned.

slick4788, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  8. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Money shouldnt be the primary motivation behind doing something, which is what it seems to be here for a lot of people building websites (which is fine so long as they enjoy it and realise the Internet isn't a 'quick fix').

I would happily take a job offering 10 - 20k pa less if it was a job i enjoyed and knew i would be happy in.

9. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    I'll spare myself the chore of doing the math....how many of your posts or thread are somehow related to money?

BTW, if you ever have an active Jamaican section of your site PM me and I'll join.

FHI, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  10. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that the majority of my posts are related to marketing, as i want to build a good knowledgable community.

There are some to do with money, but as i have said, I know its hard work and am not looking to make a quick buck.

11. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    Art must meet the market demand, to say nothing of web design , internet market , seo and everything related to webmasters .

justinlorder, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  12. SamOwen

SamOwen Peon

Best Answers:
    You've got quite a rosy outlook there, but c'mon let's get back to the real world where bills, the need to eat and the need for shelter exist. It's great that you can spend your time traveling and make a site about it without thinking of monetizing it, but that's not the same situation with everyone.

Ahem, I beg to differ. There is quite a bit of free info available here that you can actually bank on. I speak from personal experience.

I make sites for fun and for profit. If you can make money off of something you love doing then why not???

SamOwen, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  13. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly, thats my whole point.

I see heaps of posts here saying things like:
    "whats the most profitable niche?"
    "what ad type pays the most?"
    "which website can i sell the quickest?"
    etc etc

It seems that all they are doing is looking for a quick way to make money.

And yes i agree there are a lot of valuable free resources and opinions here also

14. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Because this is webmasters forum and webmasters always obsessed with making money :D

DON.

deluxdon, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  15. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say this is true at all. There are plenty of threads on knowledge growth, especially in the search engine & programming sections. A more accurate question would be: Why is everyone in America obsessed with dollar-chasing :p

MarTh-, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  16. altyfc

altyfc Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello prawn... from a fellow travel-lover. :)

You make a good point. People here are far too obsessed with making a few $. Sometimes so little that it really leaves you scratching your head. Of course, it's the final objective for many here, but people too often look to the final rewards before putting in the work.

With time, they will learn... :)

altyfc, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  17. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    I must be the exception to the rule then.

Glad to know its not only me who thinks it. Feel free to join my site and tell us about 'Aardvark land' wherever that may be :)

18. Cassandra

Cassandra Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is everyone on DP obsessed with making money?

- The answer is simple, they wanted to earn extra bucks in order to support
    their everyday needs and gain money for investment in the future.

Cassandra, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  19. xXKingdom_SEOXx

xXKingdom_SEOXx Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of us do what you do too, but this is a business forum, and we are here to discuss business....or no?

xXKingdom_SEOXx, Nov 26, 2008 IP
  20. prawn_86

prawn_86 Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly, but there is a lot more to business than get rich quick schemes which seems to be what a lot of members are after.