1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Difference between sale's person and marketer

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by grgnng, Nov 19, 2008.

Do you believe that the difference between a sales person and a marketer is that a sale person will lie to you just to have his or her product sold, while a marketer is somebody who knows and believes that he is creating network and would not lie about his or her products:D:eek:

grgnng, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  2. T.J.

T.J. Peon

Best Answers:
    No a sales person is a marketer and a marketer is a sales person.. Marketing and sales go together... You may be confusing Sales person with Copywriter... :)

T.J., Nov 19, 2008 IP
  3. DaveMarrow

DaveMarrow Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the are kind of one in the same in that sales people use marketing and marketing people use sales techniques. Marketing is more focused on getting the right message to the right people, and sales is about closing the deal.

DaveMarrow, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  4. grgnng

grgnng Active Member

Best Answers:
    But asales is only interest in closing the sale that all, a marketer might need you to be part of his or her network:eek:

grgnng, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  5. grgnng

grgnng Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree there is some little drawing line between them, thanks:eek:

grgnng, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  6. Yep!Jamie

Yep!Jamie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sales and marketing are the same thing I think. There are bad sales men and marketers out there who will lie and cheat to get what they want. I find it really important in this industry (I'm a AM) to be as honest as possible. The key is to build partnerships and not relationships. A partnership is a two way street where as relationships can be very one sided....

Yep!Jamie, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  7. bigmac_lfc

bigmac_lfc Peon

Best Answers:
    Sales and Marketing are very similar but I do believe that marketing probably covers a larger range of activities than sales

bigmac_lfc, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  8. T.J.

T.J. Peon

Best Answers:
    And what is the end result for both? They both want to close the Sale...Don't they? :rolleyes:

T.J., Nov 19, 2008 IP
  9. NscopeMultimediaMarketing

NscopeMultimediaMarketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    marketing is the process of IDENTIFYING who you want to sell to!

Sales people are responsible for finalizing those sales. Marketing is a little more complex being that research is involved and other factors to determine you have the right person identified to sell to. (Target Audience) Sales People go in to close the sales, sort of like the messengers. However I think being that some marketing research and campaigns may fail, or miss completely thats when some sales people start to "manipulate" the process a bit. By offering things that were not originally intended for that specific target audience.

10. Essociate

Essociate Peon

Best Answers:
    there are honest and dishonest sales people
    and honest and dishonest marketers

Essociate, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  11. Tina Tiano

Tina Tiano Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. You can't lump them all together. There are good and bad people in both areas.

Tina Tiano, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  12. brand35

brand35 Peon

Best Answers:
    I once read that the difference between a salesperson and a marketer is that a salesperson tries to sell something people don't really need (part of his job is to convince people they should buy it even if they don't need it, or to convince them they do actually need it). A marketer, on the other hand, is someone who finds out what people need, and then figure out ways to market the right products to them. The explanation comes from a marketer; that might explain the positive spin, but it does make sense. The idea, then, is to be a marketer rather than a salesperson.

brand35, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  13. grgnng

grgnng Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are right about this one get to lie to have some quick feedback, it can either be a sales person or a marketer, but more often is a marketer.:eek:

grgnng, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  14. grgnng

grgnng Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is a great explanatory response about sales and marketing:D

grgnng, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alright, we have to start by defining the terms selling and marketing.

I see on forums and even people who call themselves gurus write on blogs things that they should know in the first place.

Most of the people confuse marketing with selling and advertising. Well there are some common things but I would like to say that marketing is way more complex than what we think.

Advertising is simply the process of communication that aims at provoking the person receiving the message to act and buy a particular product ot service let's say.

Selling is simply a process when a person who owns a product or service delivers the ownership to the customer/client. The sale is the very last process before the payment is made. It obliges the client to pay for the product or service he/she is buying as agreed in the sales process.

And now, let's say a few words about marketing. Marketing is a broader term than we all think. It encompasses both branding and advertising as well as study and research of local or global market's movement if I can put it that way. The marketing process is rather complex as it involves a lot of things prior to its completion. You have to study and research the people who would eventually need your product or service. You have to find what their needs are. You also have to find the way they want it delivered to them. Another thing to take into account is the number of customers and the time frame. I mean, you have to find out how many customers are likely to become your potential clients and how long they would eventually be clients of yours. You also have to distinguish the hot spots. The places where people are more likely to buy what you are offering. Find several ways to market and always segment your market to increase and develop multiple income streams. Analyze risks, threats, and possible obstacles. Evaluate the strengths and opportunities. All this is a part of the marketing process.

Now, I hope this sheds some more light on this discussion.

Peace,
    turbulence

turbulence, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  16. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great explanation turbulence, this is probably the best way to explain it. Define the processes that are involved in each of the salesman's and marketer's activities.

Well done! ;)

shuttle, Nov 20, 2008 IP
    turbulence likes this.
  17. RichardG87

RichardG87 Peon

Best Answers:
    marketer
    Discovering what product, service or idea customers want.
    Producing a product with the appropriate features and quality.
    Pricing the product correctly.
    Promoting the product;
    sales person
    will influence a customer to buy a product or service.

RichardG87, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  18. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The difference is that a marketer studies the market before they go out in public, whereas a sales person generally "wings it".

joebert, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  19. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    A marketer is like a hunter and trapper in the wils and a sales person is like a butcher who chops up the kill and gets it ready to eat.

ErikJ, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  20. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    marketer has a greater responsibilities than the sales person. Sales person talks and discuss mainly on the product/services while the marketer is responsible to do the indoor tasks in promoting and advertising their products and services.

carol.prime, Nov 20, 2008 IP