1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Importance Of Yahoo Business Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Credit Hammer, Nov 13, 2008.

I have read different opinions on trying to add my site to the Yahoo business directory.Paying $ 299.00 and then wondering if you will be accepted.Is my money better spent elsewhere? Input please--thanks in advance.

Credit Hammer, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  2. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it really depends on the market your in. But for *most* websites being in the Yahoo directory helps.

If you only have $300 to spend maybe spread it over a handful of websites. But in the long run if your going to spend $x,xxx ++++ go get in Yahoo.

larysmith711, Nov 13, 2008 IP
  3. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure a listing in Yahoo directory has some benefits however, I don't feel it's anything above what a listing in any "good" directory will provide. I just don't believe Yahoo gives any special consideration simply because you are listed in their directory or that it is in some way truly superior.

For me personally I had to take my overall budget into account and decided that spreading my $299 out over a number of what I considered "quality" directories (a bit older and I knew just a bit about the owners, well indexed, well edited and for the most part didn't allow a lot of "junk" in) would be of greater value. If a had a large budget and could afford the $299 yearly review fees I might submit to Yahoo but since I don't I'm trying to get the best bang for my bucks.

I looked for directories with permanent listings and a few yearly listings for $20 or less and submitted to those. Now I have several listings that continue to provide good backlinks and yes, send a bit of traffic instead of one single listing in Yahoo Directory.

LakeCountry, Nov 13, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  4. amenda

amenda Banned

Best Answers:
    If I have $300, I will buy a link from yahoo. But remember, this $299 is just a review fee, and if your link is reject, the money is not refundable.

amenda, Nov 13, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  5. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A "Review Fee", $299.00 and the "non-refundable" don't mix with me, I stay away. A year passes by so quickly, unless you just want a bragging rights that your site is listed @Yahoo, then go for it:)

$299.00 is kinda hefty and what are the benefits that you can get for $299 per year?

wwws, Nov 13, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  6. SEOBOT

SEOBOT Banned

Best Answers:
    My opinion is no...
    Many of members have complained that they dont receive much traffic though they have submitted site to yahoo dir.

SEOBOT, Nov 13, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  7. PabloPalatnik

PabloPalatnik Peon

Best Answers:
    Has anyone been denied a website on Yahoo dir?

PabloPalatnik, Nov 14, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    depends on your site. If your site's revenue is in $$$ / year, then it is certainly not worth investing in Yahoo Directory, but if you are making more money than that and have tough competition, then Y! directory can certainly help.

That being said, I submitted my site to Y! after I submitted to BOTW and couple other good directories first.

Nima, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  9. dimmakherbs

dimmakherbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    so, what equals a spot like yahoos? Is the $250 for BOTW worth it? Thats a huge chunck of change too. What else is top of the top of directories?
    It seems directories just charge alot of money to keep junk websites out rather than only including really good ones. It seems to me that once you start taking money you accept everyone that pays as long as not against your TOS. Really has Y! ever turned down a link not against TOS? NO. Neither has any other directory.

dimmakherbs, Nov 15, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  10. mister charlie

mister charlie Peon

Best Answers:
    BOTW rejects sites all the time that do not meet editorial guidelines.

mister charlie, Nov 16, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  11. Red_Knight

Red_Knight Banned

Best Answers:

I believe you can get in Yahoolocal for free. Don't know if it's as good as Yahoo main directory listing, but at least it's free.

I heard of a few businesses that have got in yahoolocal. Mind you, after checking out Yahoo's main directory, there are a few big-name directories listed, and if they advertise there, perhaps it's not a bad idea after all.

Red_Knight, Nov 16, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  12. spice

spice Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that Yahoo has changed in the last few months, I dont think it matters any more if you are in Yahoo business directory

spice, Nov 16, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  13. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have any supporting evidence for that claim?

Nima, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  14. shabi1985

shabi1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo directory is a very good for SEO but it is not good source of traffic.
    If you want to get several high quality, trusted back link to your site then you can invest on yahoo.

shabi1985, Nov 16, 2008 IP
    Nima likes this.
  15. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When your niche is competitive you gotta do everything you can to get ahead, and Y! directory is one of them, but I would go with it (as I did) only when you are done with more important matters such as basic on-site optimization

Nima, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  16. dimmakherbs

Best Answers:
    Again, your talking about 'editorial guidlines'. The site was too spammy, under construction, adult, etc.... not because it wasn't the 'best of the web"!
    Im not saying there isn't anything to gain from BOTW, im saying its all about the money

dimmakherbs, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  17. mister charlie

mister charlie Peon

Best Answers:
    TOS and editorial guidelines are not one and the same.

I'm saying that you are wrong. BOTW gets the money regardless - whether a site is listed or not. Same thing with Yahoo. Pay for review vs. pay for inclusion. I fail to see the point that you are trying to make here...

mister charlie, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  18. Red_Knight

Red_Knight Banned

Best Answers:
    As a basic promotional starting point only, I suggest the following:

• Submit to major search engines
    • Search for the Country engines next
    • Submit to Regionals
    • Submit to some general directories (don't over do this, many aren't worth it)
    • Seek out niche directories next
    • Get as many on-topic links as you can. (Free or paid)
    • Buy some sponsored listings on established sites

But DO expect to pay for results

Red_Knight, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  19. dimmakherbs

Best Answers:
    My point is it is obvious that google removed the suggestion to be in a directory like yahoo, for more reasons than yahoo being a competitor. They are hard up against paid links and that is what directories are becoming...

dimmakherbs, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  20. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's what Matt says:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Webmaster_Help/web/q-a-from-the-3rd-live-chat-oct-2008?pli=1

Marjy, Boca Raton FL: Recently, you removed this suggestion: "Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!" from your guidelines. Is there any chance that you will be discounting these kinds of links for ranking value in future?

Matt Cutts: Hey Marjy (testing out this 'post a response' thingie). There's always the chance that we'll discount directory links in the future. What we were seeing was quite a few novice people would see the "directory" recommendation and go out and just try to submit to a ton of directories, even if some of the directories were lower-quality or even fly-by-night directories that weren't great for users. Right now we haven't changed how we're weighting directory links--we've only removed the directory suggestion from the webmaster guidelines.

syted, Nov 18, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.