1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 Tips For Motivation

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by zac439, Nov 13, 2008.

I, more than anyone, love to procrastinate. I've managed to get this far on my own because I know a thing or two about improving the odds. Some you may or may not agree with these tips, so be sure to share or add your own in a reply!

1 - Don't eat. Yep, it works. When I find that I'm hungry and I stop to eat something, I get lazy and tell myself I should go watch TV and take a break. Plus, not eating gives you a nice reward once you finish your chores. Not to mention fasting is healthy in moderation!

2 - Listen to music when doing repetitive work. I was once not able to listen to music and write creatively, but slowly I got into the groove of doing so. It brings a certain sense of entertainment to the job, so your mind doesn't wander. Try listening on a low volume for best effect.

3 - Indulge your urges. When I have fun things I could be doing, it always stays in the back of my head and bothers me until of course, I end up doing whatever is on my mind. I've come to find doing this hobby (which for me is video games- I won't lie) a day or two out of the week in extreme proportions will make you tired of doing it for the rest of the week. Then you can finally focus!

4 - Set aside a "power" object that means you are getting down to business. Mine is a Monster Energy Drink. When I have one of these, I automatically go into work mode. Not necessarily because I have energy, but because I associate a Monster with working hard. (See Pavlov's experiment in psychology)

5 - Hold the deadline as unbreakable. I always view deadlines as what they are- the final date you have or the world ends completely. You may not like them, but learn to respect them and never break them. Once you do, you'll do it more often (speaking from experience).

Overall, motivation is a mind game. How do you overcome procrastination and sloth?

zac439, Nov 13, 2008 IP
    lightless and elias_sorensen like this.
  2. QualityContentCreation

QualityContentCreation Peon

Best Answers:
    Great tips! I especially like tips 1 and 2. Although I haven't really thought about it before, it seems to be true that eating causes me to take a longer break than I planned on.

For number 5, I have my own variation. I'll convince myself that the deadline is about 12-24 hours earlier than it actually is - that way, if something comes up at the last minute, I'm not just screwed.

Great post and good tips! Thanks! :)

QualityContentCreation, Nov 13, 2008 IP
    zac439 likes this.
  3. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think all of the first four points are well summarized in the last point itself

jeewant_gupta_051275, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  4. kingfisher23

kingfisher23 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also add this quote,

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

Just be confident on what you are doing.

kingfisher23, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  5. drvenom

drvenom Peon

Best Answers:
    Eating is necessary.If i don't eat then i feel weak and lazy.Loss of energy is totally bad thing there

drvenom, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  6. bruce-banner

bruce-banner Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am really motivated now.

bruce-banner, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  7. sitegorilla

sitegorilla Banned

Best Answers:
    Good post!
    I quite liked #1 as whenever i eat, i always end up taking more time..

sitegorilla, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  8. chizarium

chizarium Peon

Best Answers:
    I too associate energy drinks with focus and work time - monster and red bull are both my fave

chizarium, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  9. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    Your energy drink is my orange! I find that whenever I have trouble focusing, eating an orange (or even half of an orange) totally boosts my energy and helps my brain focus. It must be all that Vitamin C!

I would also reccommend, if you can find it, making a specific space your "work space." Right now space in my home is limited so I work at the dining room table and I have to tell you, it was a lot easier to stay motivated when I had a space dedicated to my business. Something about just being in that space made it easier to focus and stay on task!

snarke, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  10. bizrocket

bizrocket Peon

Best Answers:
    Number 2.... Listening to Music is great way to remain motivated. It has an effect that can't be overstated.

bizrocket, Nov 14, 2008 IP
  11. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Procrastination is a luxury of those with extra time.

I find that by working myself to the bone every day teaching, parenting, writing, parenting a bit more, and then maybe picking up a few stray items around the house, there is simply no option to procrastinate.

Work must be done in its designated time slot or the world really will collapse around me. It's as simple as that. :p

internetauthor, Nov 14, 2008 IP
    tankard and zac439 like this.
  12. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with Rebecca. I don't have that luxury. And I'm so freaking swamped I've hardly had time to post here much less procrastinate. I also do a lot of branding and tag lines so I have to do a first pass and let it marinate. Then go back a few times more. That's just what works for me because I have to really immerse myself in the target market and the client's business to create that which will stand out in a crowd.

However, I will say that there are a lot of writers that get fired up only when a deadline is beating down on them. There are many ways to approach the creative process and some find the procrastination and deadline pressure a real inspiration.

webgal, Nov 14, 2008 IP
    zac439 likes this.
  13. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I practice #2 often.

There are also "Procrastination activities". Activities that you do which are pretty much pointless and unproductive [But don't appear that way]. They are usually just excuses for not doing something you really ought to be doing.

lightless, Nov 15, 2008 IP
    zac439 likes this.
  14. UIS4821

UIS4821 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post, i like 5 the best. Everyone seems to be adverse to pressure its a great motivator.

UIS4821, Nov 16, 2008 IP
  15. ArfanCh

ArfanCh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually eating helps me out personally munching a snack or two helps me think when i am stressed. But hey we all are different and think differently.

ArfanCh, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  16. avonlee1983

avonlee1983 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Number one usually works for me. It seems like I have more energy to write when I'm hungry.

avonlee1983, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  17. Bali_Sunset

Bali_Sunset Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Great....

you can make an article out of these tips...:D

Bali_Sunset, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  18. elias_sorensen

elias_sorensen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great tips!

Could really need some motivation when I'm working sometimes.

Thanks!

elias_sorensen, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  19. RichardG87

RichardG87 Peon

Best Answers:
    Really very good topic,

I liked the 5Th point. It helps us to reach the goal.

RichardG87, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  20. Benji888

Benji888 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very good post, i need my ipod anytime i am doing any projects:)

Benji888, Nov 19, 2008 IP