1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did you start your forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by inspiration100, Nov 5, 2008.

1. orlandolukas

orlandolukas Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah im having the same problems but the post in here does help me out.

orlandolukas, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  2. nrok420

nrok420 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started mine about a week ago and with minimal promotion i have 20+ members. I put watermarks on images ect and spread thme on various sites.

This is the forum

nrok420, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  3. fulltilt

fulltilt Peon

Best Answers:
    Attracting is one thing, retaining is something completely different though ;)

You need a good core group (10 should do, I've started with as little as 3 at times). EVERY day you post, EVERY day you think of a new thread to be created (easier with 10 people ... that's 5-10 replies because not everyone will reply every day; and 3-5 threads) and it builds from there.

These days AdWords, YouTube and several other sites can really help get the word out quickly but I would do that after you have 50-100 members so you can iron out the kinks (rules, moderators, etc..)

fulltilt, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  4. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:

Being in the niche that i am in, i am known on many forums doing affiliate marketing and i used to be a global moderator on a huge "remotely hosted" message board company for a few year's. I got a few folks from there to add some content in the beginning and a few good friends of mine had a downline that they emailed about the forum.

Before i launched the forum, i sponsored 3 web directory templates, used adwords for 2 weeks and had a monthly referral contest for the first 4 month's of the forum's launch.

Also i wrote 3 articles related to my niche and used a article submission service to dish them out. I purchased a web directory submission service about 2 weeks after the forum went live and i still continue to submit to web directories. (Mikey1090 from DP does this)

snakeair, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  5. inspiration100

inspiration100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your site has a virus.

Thanks guys for your responses. It's tough even just to get those 10 people! I guess that's what I'm looking for, how to get evey the fewest active users.

inspiration100, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  6. Sir Rusty

Sir Rusty Guest

Best Answers:
    I've got all my 1st 35-40 members from my AIM and YIM. And they just spreaded the word. And got more traffic. Now, we are becoming a big community. =D!

Sir Rusty, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  7. jhsutton

jhsutton Peon

Best Answers:

I was in the exact position. My first forum started from scratch! I knew nothing! What I did, was to offer a no registration forum. That way, content was being added fairly quickly. Then, i added a member's only section. I was then getting new members daily. PM me if you'd like to know anymore

jhsutton, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  8. bluearrow

bluearrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes if you want a quick start you can get few paid posters for cheap prices. After that you can do all promotions and advertising. Put several contests and some free give aways, you will get plenty of members.

bluearrow, Nov 12, 2008 IP
  9. gr8webseller

gr8webseller Peon

Best Answers:
    Now i am in the same problem, i want more number of forum members......

gr8webseller, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  10. joyboy2001

joyboy2001 Peon

Best Answers:
    doesn't everyone want more ?

Anyways ... You could publicize your forum online and offline (search for forum promotion tips on google)
    You should have few friends who start logging in and posting regularly (3 topics, 10 posts everyday)
    If your forum niche allows, add a gallery and make it viewable to public
    Create some "respect" for yourself on related, not directly competitive, forums by not spamming, and being an active helpful member. Then include the link to your forum in your signature.

Hope that helps.

joyboy2001, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  11. fulltilt

fulltilt Peon

Best Answers:
    Just check that you're allowed to do this first. Some sites are getting very upset about member poaching these days and are banning links in sigs (especially to "competing" sites)

fulltilt, Dec 31, 2008 IP