1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I Get 15,000 Visitors From StumbleUpon In 1 Month

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by amosgoh, Nov 1, 2008.

I did 1 month experiment on purely getting traffic from StumbleUpon to grow my new blog which is currently 1.5 months old. This was make easy for me to track since none of my traffic came from search engines and almost 90% came from StumbleUpon.

I got a 1% conversion rate of the 15,000 visitors turning into regular readers of my blog. At the same time, I have dropped my Alexa Rank below 300k within a month. But I did not try to monetize this visits since I know that there is a large portion of non-targeted group for my niche.

These are the few key points that I have learn from StumbleUpon which I would like to share with the community:

1) A different stumbler to discover your article

I tried discovering my own article and the results was great at the initial stage. After 3-4 articles, my own stumbling of articles seem to bring me very few traffic. Therefore, I tried getting another friend of mine to discover my next 3 articles and the same thing happened again.

So this time, I tried getting different stumblers to discover my articles and it works. Traffic spikes occur for the next 1-2 hours which usually gives me around 1,500 unique visitors.

2) Time of discovery

The time where you discover the articles play a part in driving traffic as well. The most traffic I have gotten was from 12pm-2pm and 8pm-10pm (GMT+8).
    Traffic was not good for other time and I got 500-800 less visitors for articles discovered on other time.

3) Avoid stumbling every single post

There is a huge difference of having your post stumbled 1-2 times a week compared to 5-6 times. You get more traffic when your blog articles are stumbled less frequently. If you don't believe me on this, you can try it out yourself as well.

4) Avoid discovering your own article

I notice a lot of stumbler actively stumbling their own articles as a mean of social media marketing. You stumble weigh less compared to others discovering the article for you. This is the biggest mistake that I have did 1 year ago.

I did not know about this mistake and I kept stumbling my own article which I did not get much traffic from SU. This could also be the reason why most of you complained that you are not getting traffic from SU.

This are my findings on StumbleUpon and this have grow my new blog pretty well. Having 150 subscribers for my blog (with the inclusion of newsletter subscribers) was a pretty nice result for a 1 month blog. Hope this could help those that are building a new blog or those who haven gotten any results from 3-4 months of blogging.

Try this and let me know if it works for you. Most probably it will but I want more confirmation from this to prove this strategy right. Hopefully this reveal would not cause SU to change its algorithm. If they change, I guess many others would hate me for revealing this.

Happy stumbling guys. You can check out my blog link in the signature if you think that I am lying to you. Cheers to all.

amosgoh, Nov 1, 2008 IP
    bacanze, zinruss and Smaaz like this.
  2. atulperx

atulperx Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing your unique experience buddy , I am still learning about stumble but getting good traffic from digg .

atulperx, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  3. BMD-Media

BMD-Media Active Member

Best Answers:
    nice post! That is some helpful info :D So you mean you are having 150 people as regular readers?

BMD-Media, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  4. amosgoh

amosgoh Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome dude. I am glad that you pick up a tip or 2 from this post. Let me know if this works for you as well.

You are right! Pretty much converted the SU traffic to regular readers for my blog. But I use 2 methods of conversion which is both RSS as well as newsletter opt in form.

amosgoh, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  5. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    yes I have had similiat problems with submitting my own articles no one likes them and reads them

so get someone else to submit your articles for you and vice versa

ErikJ, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  6. fouzie

fouzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice information sir, I don't know how to get traffic from stumbelupon. Do we need to register our site there?

fouzie, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  7. shotazi

shotazi Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advices, it's cool 15,000 visitor in 1 month, it is great :D

I also agree with you that stumble your own posts isn't good idea :)

shotazi, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  8. amosgoh

amosgoh Peon

Best Answers:
    @ErikJ Glad to have another one supporting my discovery. This makes my findings more concrete now.

@fouzie You don't have register your site but you will need to create an account to use SU. After which you can download the Stumbleupon toolbar. My advice is to make a few friends in Stumbleupon and ask them for help.

@shotazi Thanks for it. Have you gotten similar results from Stumbleupon in terms of traffic count?

amosgoh, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  9. shogan

shogan Banned

Best Answers:
    Good discovery tips. I get many visitors from SU without doing anything. I think stumblers just visit my profile and visit my sites in there.

shogan, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  10. shotazi

shotazi Peon

Best Answers:
    @amosgoh i have gotten more then 10,000 visits from SU but not on my blog, it was on arcade site.

shotazi, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  11. amosgoh

amosgoh Peon

Best Answers:
    @shotazi Pretty decent traffic as well. Do share with me if you have any other techniques that are not mention here.

@adigital Glad that it helps. Do test it out and let me know the outcome.

amosgoh, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  12. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    hi..

thanks for the thread first of all.

I know nothing about SU. Not only about SU. But totally about any social networks. So have a doubt.

How do SU identifies if we stumble our own website article?

icpathi, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  13. amosgoh

amosgoh Peon

Best Answers:
    @icpathi That's a very good question. I might be wrong on this because the mechanics is as long as you stumble too many of a same domain, your stumble has less importance compared to another who is a first timer stumbling your article. So it might not necessary be yourself stumbling on your own article.

amosgoh, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  14. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply amosgoh. So I just joined stumble upon. And now if I stumble any article.. will it have importance??

Something I thought all these days was... If an article gets more stumbles or diggs from different users, then that article will get good traffic. Acknowledge me if I am wrong.. Thanks.

icpathi, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  15. amosgoh

amosgoh Peon

Best Answers:
    @icpathi You are correct to a certain extend. Traffic will only be good unless you hit the front page of Digg or it will only get you 100 odd traffic. But for StumbleUpon, you can get 1000 traffic from just 20 stumbles using the techniques that I have written.

Since you are new to Stumbleupon, you can try stumbling your own article and get a few friends to help you stumble it as well. Of course for my technique to work, you need to have at least 10 stumbles to work. Make friends with the stumble upon community and get them to help you.

amosgoh, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  16. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like your theme where did you get it?

ronmac, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  17. PlayPassGames

PlayPassGames Member

Best Answers:
    how do you find people to stumble your site? Or do you just have 1 or 2 friends stumble it? After 2-3 stumbles wouldn't the traffic go down a lot from their stumbles since they have already stumbled your site a lot? What do you think about stumble exchanges?

PlayPassGames, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  18. amosgoh

amosgoh Peon

Best Answers:
    @ronmac I have send you a PM regarding the theme. Hope that helps you.

@PlayPassGames I actually have a group of social media friends (about 15 of them) that will help out in stumbles. Yes stumble exchange works. You can actually get Friend A to discover for you first then follow by B then C then back to A again. In that way, the stumble from friend A is still effective and traffic will be great too.

@auburnfan23 ,shashankre, kuteetap

Glad you pick up some tips in here. Do try it and let me know your results as well.

amosgoh, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  19. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cheers Felix - rep added and thanks for the info

ronmac, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  20. DTavarez

DTavarez Peon

Best Answers:
    So don't stumble your own stuff, i'll try it out.

DTavarez, Nov 2, 2008 IP