1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Obama thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by homebizseo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. simplyg123

simplyg123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you watch them, most of it is obama's own words.

There is tons and tons of evidence on Obamas bad character, judgment, deception, and bad associations. The man is plain scary.

simplyg123, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  2. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Man you are completely misreading this. I saw you saying voter turnout favors Republicans and I pointed out that AL Gore won the popular vote. The popular vote is the TOTAL vote of ALL states combined.

You're trying to make this a referendum on the 2000 election and there just is no argument. My only point here is that no matter how he won, George Bush won because he got more electoral votes. I concede that and have gotten over it.

Hell the national polls are within 4 points this election but Barack is going to beat that ass in electoral votes. So, GO ELECTORAL COLLEGE!

No such thing "in my mind". George Bush won and because of it, Barack is going to win now.

Again, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I just wasn't trying to make that argument. I made a little snide reference to Florida as an afterthought but my pure intent was to point out that you were incorrect about more votes.

So back on point if I may, the popular vote means Al Gore got more votes. He lost electorally. But he got more votes. That's all I'm saying.

GeorgeB., Oct 30, 2008 IP
  3. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you ever watched McCain or Palin speak? Have you ever listened to what they say? They're scary... Anyone who thinks that being a POW is experience to lead the country is nuts. That doesn't qualify him for the job.

I think McCain would of done well if he didn't make such bad choices.

Stroh, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I never said a large voter turn out favored Republicans. I said that we have seen before what happens when there is a larger voter turn out.

I said this because it was inferred that Republicans are suppressing voters because of fear that the larger turn out would be bad for them, which we all know after the last two elections is hardly the case.

The 2000 election needs not referendum. All it needs is a compitent 5 year old with basic counting skills.

George Bush won because he got more votes.

You might want to look into cheer leading for a career, you'd be good at it.

George Bush won because he got more votes. You seem to think it was a technicality. That is what I take issue with. This notion that the electoral college got it wrong and that the popular vote should be the discerning factor.

There is a reason it is not, and it might be a good idea for many here that still think Gore won to go brush up on their history.

No disappointment. Just concern for your assertions.

And again, I am NOT incorrect. You are. George Bush won in 2000 because he got more votes than Gore.

More votes of what? Of whom? From where? The electoral college exists to insure that one majority group/area of the entire nation does not overtly and unfairly influence an election. Ultimately what it does is protect the rights of smaller states. Given places like California and NYC have the majority of the population in the US and and are extremely liberal, its entirely possible that with a popular vote even if the rest of the country voted to the right, the left could win, unduly influencing the election negating the representative nature of our republic.

You do realize that we are a Representative Republic and not a Democracy right? The Electorate is made up of 538 elected officials who vote for the president on our behalf. Much like we vote for representatives from our state (Senate and House) to represent us in Washington, so to do we vote for the electorates to make an indirect election choice on our behalf.

You can win an election without getting the popular vote. 2000 is not the only time that has happened. It also happened in 1876 and 1888.

In 2000, it would appear, even after numerous recounts - George W Bush won. Al Gore, lost.

Sorry.

Mia, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  5. simplyg123

Best Answers:
    I have heard them both, and saw palin in person. They speak of reform, and real change.

No one said McCain being a POW gives him experience. The 26 years in congress is what gives him experience therein making him far more qualified than Obama..

6. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    the reason we want someone with experience is that experience teaches people and help their judgment. if you look at mccain, he has a lot of experience running a political campaign yet he is failing this one miserably. It looks like he can not learn so his experience is useless.
    ===============================================================
    now i have a question.
    do Christian[fundies] have a church that they call their own. ?

pizzaman, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  7. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Real change? In my opinion, 26 years in Washington and has yet to do any productive change means he's not going to do much more than what he's already been doing.

Maybe if republicans were to of picked someone else I'd vote republican, but I just don't see McCain doing anything good.

Stroh, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  8. simplyg123

Best Answers:
    Are you serious, Obamas lead is not that great, A republican win is within reach. His campaign may not have made as much money, but the polls are pretty close.

And to say his experience is useless is ridiculous, but i guess you need that mentality when voting for Obama.

9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok first you tried to mock me as if I didn't understand the difference between popular vote and electoral college. I showed you that you simply misread what I said.

What are you simplyg123 now?
    How is that NOT saying "large voter turn out favored Republicans" ??

And I said that AL Gore won more votes. I base that on the fact that he won the popular vote.

More mocking? I could see if I was disagreeing with you but I'm not so......wtf?

Now were back on track -- And I say YES HE DID WIN.

But he won because of the electoral college, not because he won more votes IN TOTAL. Nothing wrong with that. It's just a fact that a presidential candidate can win the popular vote (more votes) and still lose the election.

Your mother.

I said no such thing. I do think there was some corruption in Florida but I am NOT trying to make the argument that we should revisit it. I'm one of those people who believe there was shady dealings on both sides.

AGAIN, my comment about Florida was just a snide remark. Look at my first reply. I was OBVIOUSLY addressing your "more votes" comment.

Perhaps I should be the one telling YOU to get over it. You seem to have some serious left over animosity from previous debates about that issue?

One more time, George Bush won and I'm now glad because we got to show American one more time what happens when you elect a moron.

Good luck with that concern. I hope I cleared my assertions up for you here?

Nationally?

I'm not gonna put on a cheerleader outfit for you but, GO ELECTORAL COLLEGE!

This was written while you were under the assumption that I was contesting the 2000 election and thought I didn't understand the electoral college. So no need to address it.

With the current state of the nation. I'm sure you are ;)

GeorgeB., Oct 30, 2008 IP
  10. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    his campaign has been a series of aimless moves that have cost him many votes and respect.
    what about my question do you consider yourself one of this evangelicals? if so do you guys pick a church as your own

pizzaman, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  11. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event.
    -Wikipedia-

a particular instance of personally encountering or undergoing something
    -Dictionary.com-

So, knowing this, does McCain have experience? The answer is no.

Has McCain been president before? No he has not. Therefore they both don't have experience at the big job. So what does 25 years tell you? That McCain hasn't changed for 25 years.

He has no skill in being a president, granted nobody does but those who've been president before.

Stroh, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  12. simplyg123

Best Answers:
    A quote from your messiah

Barack Obama: "There Is One Person Who's Been Consistent On Reform Issues, And That's Been John McCain."

Definitions of reform on the Web:

* make changes for improvement in order to remove abuse and injustices; "reform a political system"
    * bring, lead, or force to abandon a wrong or evil course of life, conduct, and adopt a right one; "The Church reformed me"; "reform your conduct"
    * produce by cracking; "reform gas"
    * a change for the better as a result of correcting abuses; "justice was for sale before the reform of the law courts"
    * break up the molecules of; "reform oil"
    * improve by alteration or correction of errors or defects and put into a better condition; "reform the health system in this country"
    * a campaign aimed to correct abuses or malpractices; "the reforms he proposed were too radical for the politicians"
    * change for the better; "The lazy student promised to reform"; "the habitual cheater finally saw the light"
    * self-improvement in behavior or morals by abandoning some vice; "the family rejoiced in the drunkard's reform"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yeah, a 9 point drop for Obama in a week. Something is going on.

And McCain's campaign made as much as it was legally aloud. Obama decided to lie, then go back on his promise and take private funding. Its obvious why.

I'm not mocking you. I'm showing you where you are wrong. I did not misread what you said. Perhaps you meant something different, but I don't think so. If you did, you would not spend so much time back pedaling.
    No, I'm Mia.
    Look at the last two elections including 2004 where the largest voter turn out in history occurred. Who won? Again.

He did not win anything. Here you go again with this notion that he somehow won something. You don't win votes. The popular vote does not guarantee the presidency. Do I have to go through this again?

Man, GWB won your namesake won. Why? He got more votes.

No, just a little correction.

Of course he won. He got more votes.

Oh, here comes the "but" again. I got news for you. The electoral college is what we use to elect our presidents.

So what if they can win the election without winning the popular vote. That's how it works. As I pointed out previously, its happened before. Its that way be design. Its not like its some loophole or conspiracy. Its there to protect the representation of smaller states, smaller by population.

Yes?

Sure you are, else you would not be saying "but" so much.

And its obvious what the remark was meant to do. If you want to make a legitimate point, you don't disqualify it with a "snide remark".

Get over what? I have nothing to get over. If someone says something that is untrue, I feel at the very least obligated to correct them, or at the very least help them understand why they are wrong.

Agreed, we found that out in 76' and again in 92'. Hopefully we these things don't come in threes.

Not really.

Yes. There you go trying to slip that popular vote in there again. Do you want me to post a picture of the map? It was pretty red.

Oh, its not for me. Its for Obama.

Of course you were contesting it. I called you on it and now you've back pedaled so far that you've devoted the better part of the afternoon to trying to convince me otherwise.

It is obvious to me that you do not understand how the Electoral College works, did not know that the Electoral College or electorate was made up of actual people, who "NATIONALLY" voted with a MAJORITY to elect GWB president in 2000.

You had no idea. I'm quite certain you still do not full understand it.

I'm doing quite well at the moment. I've got complaints, and different opinions as it concerns a great many things. The difference between you and me? I don't Blame George Bush for everything that is wrong with the world.

Mia, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  14. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are sadly mistaken, my messiah is not Obama.
    Religion does not cross with politics.

Stroh, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  15. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    What poll you looking at?

LogicFlux, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Stripper Polls!

AP, Zogby, etc.. Basically everything but the customized and skewed MSNBC type polls.

Mia, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  17. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL :D

Something every man needs to look at.

Stroh, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  18. Bakai

Bakai Guest

Best Answers:
    Speaking of polls, there is a segment of white Americans who will not vote for a black man. Ever. They will not tell anyone this publicly because they know they will be fired from their jobs, and ostracized as a "racist". But come election day they will vote. They may even pretend to themselves they are "politically correct" but come election day they will vote.

Bakai, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  19. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    YEAH! The left wing media polls are skewed!!!!!!!

Oh, crap, wait.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/election_2008_electoral_college_update

The "all kinds of polls" comes from one, apparently - "9 point dip" comes from Fox News's poll. For a real all kinds of popular vote polls, well....http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html#polls

:rolleyes:

northpointaiki, Oct 30, 2008 IP
  20. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    CNNs poll of polls shows about a 5 point slip in the past week.
    Whatever the real numbers are, most people expected a tightening towards the end. This isn't a surprise. It will probably come down to turnout, and I think Obama gets the edge there.

LogicFlux, Oct 30, 2008 IP