1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strange email from DMOZ editor(?)

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JLeigh, Oct 19, 2008.

Hello,

I submitted my site to DMOZ around 7 or 8 months ago. I just got an email that my site was accepted but that in order to "activate my listing", I must place a link they gave me (a retail site) on my home page. Not being too familiar with DMOZ, I'm not sure if this is how it works or if I'm being scammed. Can anyone let me know? Thanks!

JLeigh, Oct 19, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  2. Feydakin

Feydakin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Post the editor's name in public so we can see him get tarred and feathered..

Feydakin, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  3. Badlands07

Badlands07 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is a scam or an editor trying to take advantage of you. The DMOZ does not require and links back in order to be included,

Badlands07, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please provide full details (including email headers if you can) either through our Public Abuse Report System or by PM to me.

We should be able to determine whether or not it's editorial abuse and take appropriate action if it is.

jimnoble, Oct 20, 2008 IP
    discover likes this.
  5. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    No need to send any details now - we already have them.

The editor concerned is now an ex-editor.

jimnoble, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  6. bdw

bdw The Booler

Best Answers:
    Well done! ;)

bdw, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shows how easy it is to get caught ;)

It also shows that when Editor abuse is proven, Meta Editors take swift and decisive action.

A win for the good guys!

snooks, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  8. JLeigh

JLeigh Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the replies! I thought it sounded a bit strange, but you never know. lol.

Now I'll go back to waiting to see if I get listed. :)

JLeigh, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the first thread I've read at DP in months, glad I chose this one! Thanks Jim for your swift action and for letting people know that this sort of thing is taken seriously. You've made my day. :)

compostannie, Oct 21, 2008 IP
    robjones and (deleted member) like this.
  10. elias_sorensen

elias_sorensen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well done, Jim!

elias_sorensen, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  11. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    your site must have been pretty lucrative , JLeigh :) good work on your part .

websys, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Would it be possible to go through that editors logs and see just how many sites have been removed? I'm sure many of them were due to people not paying.

And what of those that are still listed, that possibly have paid for such a listing... Do those site fall under the "bribe" rule?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just trying to see how far or to what extent these things are looked into and made right.
    Q

Qryztufre, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  13. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify: I didn't actually do anything other than report the basic facts here (which changed between my two posts yesterday).

@Q: No of course you won't be seeing the logs; they're confidential to editors only.

jimnoble, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I didn't mean me of course, I'm not an idiot. I'm wondering if the logs would be gone through by someone that can...

Corruption was found in the ODP, so I'm wondering if more then just firing the editor will be done. Had the OP in this thread not come forward, and not paid, his (her?) link would have been removed, which makes me wonder if other links were removed wrongly, and if that has happened, then the 'end user' is suffering due to the wrong doings of an editor. Yes, getting rid of the filth helps keep the ODP clean, but without cleaning up after the filth, the tarnish is still there...

15. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    You're jumping to incorrect conclusions. This thread was not the trigger for the abuse indication - as you could have deduced from its content (or lack thereof).

The OP never claimed that his website was listed in the first place. How could it be removed? Do you know its URL because we don't?

Lastly, I am absolutely not going to give you details of or assurances about our investigation and its ramfications. Isn't the fact that proven abuse was dealt with swiftly enough for you? Most folks posting here so far seem pleased.

16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

No, certainly not. It's sad that you will not say that more will be done then just ousting a bad seed.... now their actions will taint the rest of the directory, as I can only assume that you will not say there will be some clean up because there will not be.

Or is that another incorrect conclusion?

Why is it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard for an editor, any editor, to actually say "we are going all the way" rather then just saying we are doing as little as possible, the rest is 'inside knowledge' :rolleyes:

I AM pleased that the editor was found out, I am THRILLED that they got canned as quickly as they did... now is it really too much to ask that the WHOLE picture be looked into, or rather to at least say "it'll be looked into" rather then just telling me nothing? The only thing left to conclude is that NOTHING more is going to be done about it *sigh*

Ask a simple question and what do I get? *shrug* I guess it's just to much to ask that things like removed sites (from the directory or the queue) get looked into. Gods forbid you say you are doing the right thing...

17. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    ROFLMAO at your illogical contortions and deductions from them. Assume what you wish - but assumptions aren't proof of anything; they're just dreams.

1 person likes this.
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Like I said, it's simply too much to ask for an editor, any editor, to say that the entire thing will be looked into. The fact that you will not say that the sites touched by a corrupt editor be looked into says a lot more about the ODP then my assumptions...

Thank you for once again proving that the ODP is unwilling to nicely correspond with webmasters.

19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Since the request for a reciprocal link came from the other direction... doubt they'd take action against webmasters that just responded as asked.

I'd be tempted to send 'em a note saying the ed was canned and they could drop the recip link if they wish... maybe apologize for the twit that asked 'em to place it. But that's just IMO, and my opinions arent exactly binding on anyone.

Anyway, glad to see the system worked.

robjones, Oct 21, 2008 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Thank you for giving an opinion...