1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Advertiser Know Which Keyword?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by RICK430, Oct 18, 2008.

Hi guys, wondering if the advertisers on CJ see which keyword on a CPC campaign generated the sale or lead? Does CJ offer such advanced tracking tools to their advertisers?

The reason I ask is that some of these advertisers have open keyword policy and when publishers start brining in tons of leads or sales suddenly overnight they start using protected keywords to control paying out a lot of money to publishers

RICK430, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  2. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    CJ can see all and hear all.... JK well maybe????? I know that CJ puts a insistant cookie on your computer or where ever you use the computer when you visit your homepage.My websites can tell me where people are coming from and what keywords are used. So it might be just as easy to see the same. I am pretty sure it is easy enough though to type a "keyword" in google and see what pops?

jodyq, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually they would need only check their own analytics system they are using.

Sem-Advance, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  4. RICK430

RICK430 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not as simple as using analytics system since the consumer comes to your personal site from your CPC keyword and then clicks on the CJ ad or any other and then lands on the advertisers page. You would definitely see the keyword on your end when you using analytics, but can the advertiser see which keyword you used to generate a lead or sale.

RICK430, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  5. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    They cannot see this through CJ - CJ strips the referrer string for advertisers specifically for this reason. However, advertisers can easily check their own stats and analytics systems to find these keywords.

On a side note, 99% of the time, affiliate teams and search teams are separate (or outsourced). Search marketing teams aren't looking through logs to see which paid keywords affiliates are using to make sales. So while advertisers can easily find out if you're violating search policies, they're not going to be stealing your keywords for their own campaigns.

tvmatt, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  6. RICK430

RICK430 Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely understand why for example Netflix does not want any affiliate using the keyword "Netflix" or "Netflix Dvds" to market. But I have heard many stories form affiliates that by successfully using long tail keywords such as "Netflix Free Trials Now" or "Netflix discounted coupons" suddenly they get banned. Which I do not understand, since the entire purpose of Netflix being on a CJ or any other network is to generate subscriptions or leads and when an affiliate starts ranking in the volume they try to find a reason to ban.

Any comments would be appreciated.

RICK430, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  7. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    The TOS is not to bid on "any usage" of the keyword "netflix"

This does not mean you can bid on other long tail keywords or any keyword phrases. Publishers cannot use the word. whether its one word or combined with one word or more.

Sem-Advance, Oct 20, 2008 IP
  8. RICK430

RICK430 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, then how would "NetFlix" for example know you used Netflix dvd free trials to generate a sale? Just wondering, since many people actually are doing PPC campaingn on many long tail trademarked keywords and making a great deal of money.

I am just wondering why any advertiser will terminate a a publisher generating dozens or hundreds of leads, subscriptions or sales. I sincerely thin Advertisers give a pass to high producing affiliates, what do you think?

RICK430, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  9. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Affiliate networks will keep track of the keywords affiliates use and pass that on to the advertiser.

Why would any company terminate an affiliate who uses their keywords?

Profits and Profit Margins :D

Basically the advertiser will keep all the profit from sales made when a consumer uses their keyword terms to search for them.

So Netfllix does not want to pay someone who is simply bidding on their trademark terms. They can make sales that way themselves.

What the advertiser wants is for affiliates to find the low lying fruit they do not know how to find, or find it more hassle than its worth, (ROI) as they could be more productive focusing on something else.

Sem-Advance, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  10. RICK430

RICK430 Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely understand where you are coming from. But just try the keywordn "netflix free trials" or any other advertiser with any long tail keyword you will see tons of affiliates using those keywords for PPC. So I am sure advertisers pay on sales unless an affiliate really starts bringing in tons of sales whereupon there account will be reviewed and most probably terminated.

And why would any network, like CJ, snich on an affiliate making thousands of dollars in sales, remember CJ makes a commission on each sale as well.

This whole things get confusing. Since affiliates are PPC campaigning trademarked long tail keywords, I am sure there is some kind of loophole that permits them to do so.

RICK430, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  11. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I do not know how CJ earns but I would guess it is a flat fee as opposed to commission.

CJ would likely be required to provide transparency to the advertiser as part of the contract.

The advertisers are not mom & pop shops so they are going to protect themselves and as such CJ has a duty to protect the advertiser first & foremost.

I know there are violations of the terms but nothing works perfectly in the online world.

Think about the time & people needed to sift through mounds of reports sent to the advertiser each month from CJ and other networks they maybe using.....

They seem lucky to get through the financial aspect without a glitch each month, so I am sure a lot falls through the cracks...

Sem-Advance, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  12. RICK430

RICK430 Peon

Best Answers:
    SEMS thanks for all your replies. Its almost impossible to run a successful PPC campaign without not being able to use the advertisers name within the keyword. Some advertisers are ok with it and some are not. I am successful in advertising in PPC on a couple of campaigns and just wanted to know if there was a chance of my commissions being taken from me.

RICK430, Oct 22, 2008 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    No problem and I agree at times the trademark long tails definitely need to be used for people to make a decent profit margin.

I think you would be safe unless you bid on the company's trademarked term....

I think a court would rule long tail phrases with the companies name do not fall under the trademark laws....

Good luck and keep pushing!

Sem-Advance, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  14. Johu

Johu Peon

Best Answers:
    The advertiser and network are both fully capable of searching on Google themselves, and checking. There are also companies who have automated software to check. And no, they don't give passes to high performing affiliates. On branded terms, if there are no competitors on the page (Netflix and blockbuster don't bid on each other's brands), why should they pay an affiliate when they can get cheaper sales themselves?

Johu, Oct 23, 2008 IP
  15. Johu

Johu Peon

Best Answers:
    CJ only polices search affiliates themselves if the advertiser pays extra to CJ to do so. Otherwise, it's the advertiser who does the checking.

Johu, Oct 23, 2008 IP