1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin - Guests see passworded-forum6 thread titles?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Hade, Oct 16, 2008.

I have a password protected forum.
    I'd like guests to be able to see the thread count on the main page, and also thread titles within the forum. But not the thread titles!

Any idea how I can achieve this?

Thanks!

Hade, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Huh? Either you do want them to see the thread titles, or not.

I'am a little confused. Do you, or do you not want people to see the thread titles?

~kev~, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  3. Hade

Hade Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oops, slight typo there!
    I DO want them to see thread titles. I DO NOT want them to see thread content.

Sorry!

Hade, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  4. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vbulletin admin control panel - forums and moderators - forum permissions - pick the forum you want to edit - pick the usergroup you want to edit -

Can view forum - yes
    Can view thread content - no

That should fix you up.

~kev~, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  5. Hade

Hade Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but I've done that.
    The password seems to override that setting completely.
    Any other ideas?

Hade, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  6. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have edited the permissions on a group level, why do you really need the password?

I dont understand what you are trying to accomplish.

~kev~, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  7. rw_essen

rw_essen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see any use on that function Hade. I would suggest you to let your forum as it is because is ok.

rw_essen, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  8. Hade

Hade Active Member

Best Answers:
    Basically, I want everyone to be able to see thread titles (registered or guest).
    Only Registered users with the password may be able to see thread contents.

This is important. Search engine spiders and guests need to be able to see what's available in the 'privileged members only' forum.

Hade, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  9. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds more like you need to use promotions or change their usergroup to grant people access instead of using a password. There are several ways to do this.

Are these people in a paid members group? Are you trying to set up a premium members group?

I still do not understand "exactly" what you are trying to do. You want people to be able to access a section, ok - that is easy enough. But "who" are these people? Are they moderators, Paid / premium members, member that you want to belong to a certain group?

Lets say you want everyone with 100 post to gain access to a certain section. Vbulletin has a built in promotion system. Set up a new promotion, base it off post count. Create a new group, grant access to the forum section to that group. After the member reaches 100 post, the promotion system will move them to the new group and they will have access.

Lets say that this is a paid membership section - set up a new group that is a VIP/ Premium group. Set up the paid subscriptions manager to move the people to the new group after their payment is processed.

If you would explain "exactly" what you want to do, either myself or someone around here might be able to help you. But all I know is you want a group or person to gain access to a password protected forum.

Personally I think password protected forums are a waste of time. Mainly because you have to change the password to keep people out. If you use usergroups, and promotions - this could stream line what you are wanting to do.

~kev~, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  10. Hade

Hade Active Member

Best Answers:
    Perfect!
    I didnt realise I could make new usergroups. I new there was a better method than password.
    Thank you all very much for your help!

Hade, Oct 18, 2008 IP