1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it hitting your income?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jeewant_gupta_051275, Oct 7, 2008.

1. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been having to step up my marketing efforts as well, but I don't think it is the actual economy that is causing the slow down, I think it is people's panic about the economy. Suddenly people are thinking "holy crap, I have to pay for that bail out thing so I better not spend any money" before we know exactly how our taxes will be put toward the recovery package. When the panic stops, the clients and buyers will flood back in and things will even out.

That's just my feeling anyway, I am in no way an economic expert :)

snarke, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  2. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with you - I think there is more drama about what MIGHT be coming than anything "real" at this point. Only time will tell about the economy, but what goes up must go down, and then it's only a matter of time before it goes back up again. Weathering the storm - real or imagined, is just part of life in any industry.

internetauthor, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    DPobserver likes this.
  3. what

what Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fortunately, my income is steadily increasing despite the turmoil. In the past week alone, two IMers approached me and hired my services for the next 6 months. I agree with everyone else in this thread - more and more businessmen want to outsource their projects now.

what, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  4. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I feel its more than just a normal slowdown/recession this time around. The markets around the world fell another 7%!
    Anyways, Yeah, businessmen are outsourcing their projects, but what if it keeps falling like this? I have already seen some late payments being reflected in my Paypal. A guy who used to pay me every 2nd day pays me once a week now. The reason he gives - "I have lost a lot at the stock markets, and I am almost broke!" I know such clients need not be considered altogether, but trust me, he was one of my BEST paying clients over the last 6 months.
    I bet we have a lot more coming in the next 12 months, and its time to tank up the cash to survive what might come. But we still have one reason to be happy about- as freelancers, we are more used to living in the 11th hour, so we'll do better than those having fixed day jobs and mammoth salaries.

jeewant_gupta_051275, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  5. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think part of it Jeewant is listening to the "signs" you are getting from clients. And I totally think I know how you feel. I've had a couple of regular clients simply stop ordering, saying they can't order articles right now -- things they were ordering once a week or twice a month or something like that. So okay, you don't knock on their door for the moment -- you look for another source.

Personally I'll check in with that "not now" client in a couple of weeks. But I'm not counting on anything from them. That's what I mean..... :) More eggs for the basket! lol

EspressoChick, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  6. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been offering some "free tips" with every job. They've been able to implement these tips with their regular staff and are seeing results. So they are seeing the value of not only what they pay be outright for but seeing the benefits of having someone like me regularly working for their business. It is sort of a value added approach.

webgal, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  7. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I make about $4,000/month more than before !!

Codythebest, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  8. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Talking about "signs", espresso, I am getting some ominous signs from my clients. There are a lot of eggs in the basket, but most of them are chicken eggs and the people I am loosing were ostrich eggs! Overall though, we need to come to terms with the fact that indeed people are feeling insecure and the need to sit on cash is far pronounced than it ever was in our time. This is primarily the reason as to why people are pulling out of their online ventures

jeewant_gupta_051275, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  9. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... I can't say I've seen any fall in income, and based on my work schedule, I am not expecting a drop either. The exchange rate favors us right now, so my income is actually higher this month. Maybe we freelancers are the Chosen Ones who will ride out this storm?!!:D

I've spoken to most of my American clients about how it's affecting them. A couple have had their retirement funds close to wiped out, but they're still young, and optimistic. Others run websites that seem to be unaffected by any downturn in the economy. All in all, no panic here!:)

rayaan, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  10. Whitley Journalism

Whitley Journalism Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen no real fall in income (yet) but I have noticed that I'm getting less hits on my site. So I expect the income to fall in the next few weeks :( :(

Whitley Journalism, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  11. waynekey1

waynekey1 Peon

Best Answers:
    In the last day or two it has been very interesting several bloggers have come out noting that some of their best experiences came out of troubled times. I would remommend Shoemony's article "Have you ever lost it all."

Historically there have always been businesses that profited wildly in a downturn and we are very likely headed for a wild downturn ride. My recomendation is ramp it up and stay connected to the communities that you enjoy in person and here online. There will be many silver linings inside this cloud. They are just not visible yet.

the best to all of you,

Wayne

waynekey1, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  12. Nicholas Yong

Nicholas Yong Peon

Best Answers:
    Jmattern, InternetAuthor, Snarke and Jeewant - have all said it:

It boils down to continuous marketing.

May I also add:

1. Are you giving your clients (they are clients right?) the 'WOW' experience?
    2. Are they calling you out of the blue and asking for non-related advice?
    3. Are you communicating with them on a weekly basis?
    4. Are you communicating with the main decision makers and not just the 'Director' or 'Manager?
    5. Are you mailing them post cards, Thank You notes or even throwing them a party?
    6. Have you stopped thinking of yourself as a writer and more as a business owner who owns a writing business?
    7. Have you explored other avenues of income - possibly even non-writing related?
    8. Have you been able to strategically align yourself with 'winners?

Nicholas Yong, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  13. Duratec

Duratec Banned

Best Answers:
    yes opportunities are not as robust as before.

Duratec, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  14. michaelgrisso

michaelgrisso Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Don't believe this at all. Granted YAdpa has his/her opinion which is fine, but considering I have not seen a dropoff in work from clients at all tells me this isn't accurate.

Even if it was true and clientele started dwindling off, freelance/ghostwriters are always looking for the next one anyways. It's like waiting tables and trying to turn them over as much as possible to maximize your revenue.

If you personally are seeing a drop off then make it up somwhere else. Sell your own content here, sell it on other sites like Daily Article, join places like Associated Content, or many other scenarios.

Even if you wouldn't take any of those options just keep writing. There is nothing wrong with writing about topics and saving them for a rainy day. Someone will want them eventually, especially if you're patient.

The economy overall is turning more people to the Internet, which in most cases means more work for us.

Good Luck and keep your head up :)

Cheers~

michaelgrisso, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  15. kpaul

kpaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh. I try to do this too... offering a 'holistic' approach, in a way.

kpaul, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  16. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even though im not a writer, but a web designer, still my income have not gone down.
    i think its all depends on marketing and how well you promote yourself.
    and sometime buyers loosk for really cheap services, which let us down for sure.

Oranges, Nov 11, 2008 IP
  17. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    We've been getting more corporate clients on a recurring basis. The global downturn is pressuring EU/US/CAN clients to focus on cost AND quality. We offer leased dedicated outsourced writers with 100% quality guarantees. We also offer low cost but high quality "per word" packages. Most of these were through people reselling our services. They solicit clients and we deliver the work under their label. They just sit back and collect their % month after month. A few guys make several thousand dollars MONTHLY for deals they wrapped up over 2 years ago. LoLz.

webmasterlabor.com, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  18. avonlee1983

avonlee1983 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had more work (freelance writing) than ever these last couple of weeks. My income has increased quite a bit.

avonlee1983, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  19. WebHostAdvisor

WebHostAdvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Every economic downturn creates opportunity. I have found that even when a company cuts employees it still has to get the same quantity of work done and often resorts to freelancers.

WebHostAdvisor, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  20. chikarin

chikarin Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't experienced any slowdowns but it did get me worried so I'm exploring some more fields that I can get into.

But to be honest, unless you got directly layed off in the recent months I don't think anyone is actually affect by this so called crisis. Business has been usual, other than this unknown fear.

chikarin, Nov 20, 2008 IP