1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site down for few days - removed from dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by NeoGen, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have a site that was listed in DMOZ. Due to some DNS issues my site was down for about a week. During this period my site was removed from DMOZ.

Any suggestion, what should I do now?

Thanks

NeoGen, Oct 3, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  2. Final Expense Leads

Final Expense Leads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Happens all the time, nothing sinister about it. DMOZ has an automated link checker that flags sites that are unavailable for whatever reason.

Typically the category editor will keep your URL "unreviewed" for a while then check to see if it is functioning normally. Assuming it works properly and still meets the category criteria the editor will re-place your listing.

You might consider submitting an "update" request explaining the problem and its resolution, if you are impatient - like me :)

Final Expense Leads, Oct 3, 2008 IP
    NeoGen likes this.
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FYI, it's not possible to raise an update request for a site that isn't listed. If it was put back into the pending pool by one of our link checking robots, it will be highlighted for editorial attention anyway.

Also, I urge you not to re-suggest your website. Doing so would replace the current prominent entry in the pending pool with one that isn't.

Just be patient and let matters take their course. Some volunteer will attend to it in time.

Bottom line? Get some better hosting.

jimnoble, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  4. Final Expense Leads

Final Expense Leads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jim! I learn some new subtlety about dmoz every day.

Sorry for the inaccuracy NeoGen.

Final Expense Leads, Oct 4, 2008 IP
  5. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Many thanks, will wait for the update..

BTW: it was down due to dns issues at domain registrar:mad:

NeoGen, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  6. coupontohost

coupontohost Peon

Best Answers:
    Man that sucks :( I'm still trying to get into DMOZ!!!!! How many submissions did it take you to get in?

coupontohost, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    While I can not answer for the OP, in most cases it takes ONE or NONE to get a listing. Any more then that is simply a waste of time on the part of the submitter. If you submit once and walk away your submission will sit closer to the top of the list, whereas, if you submit another time your submission gets sent back to the bottom of the list. Assuming the editor in the category you submit too actually bothers with the submission queue, then you are only hurting your chances of getting a listing if you try more then just once.

Qryztufre, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  8. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I think Qryztufre summed it up real well. For those who had fired a heat seeking missile before, it is "Fire and Forget". Thread closed.

wisdomtool, Oct 9, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.