1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Having diffuculty to advertise and promote a Military combat video sharing page

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by ApacheStark, Oct 6, 2008.

Hi folks,
    We are a team of three friends and each of us are looking after a different part of the page.
    My part would be promotion of the page and I have to admit I'm running into some very difficult and frustrating aspects and not doing a good enough job.
    First off, from the beginning when I thought about a strategy the very first thing on my list was that I would NEVER ever spam the page (obvious right?)

Link Exchange:
    The problem is, that I have written nearly ever military page out there to share links but the responds are hardly encouraging, some admits have written back but never updated their page with a link even if we have included their link on our page.
    I have generally speaking the feeling that most of the pages feel a little threatened and don't want to loose potential users, I could be completely wrong and maybe they just think that our page is simply crap, who knows.

Word of mouth:
    Due to the sometimes mature content (war is hell after all) on the page it becomes quite difficult and you cannnot just mention the page on the water cooler ;)

Forum (sigs and such)
    Again most military pages guard their page quite good and don't allow sigs or links to "un established" pages (liveleak and youtube are ok go figure)

All in all I have invested quite some time (I’m not complaining) but I have not received the desired effect.

Can you guys think of anything I may have done wrong? I haven't really any experience in this sort of thing so all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Oh page is apacheclips.com

ApacheStark, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  2. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    do some ppc. You will get quick results.

narsticle, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  3. ConquestYoutube

ConquestYoutube Peon

Best Answers:
    You might try video ads on YouTube. It's a somewhat new service that has recently been automated which allows large numbers of ads at very low prices.

We suggest this because you mentioned that you wanted to prepare your audience for the violence and this is very highly targeted based on keywords and they are very inexpensive.

If you're not sure what a video ad is or how they work, give me a shout and I'll be happy to go over it with you personally.

ConquestYoutube, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  4. ApacheStark

ApacheStark Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your help guys.

narsticle I ahve looked into that aspect as well but the normal ppc is not ready for our small budget yet ;)

bluegrid2: thanks mate pm send.

ApacheStark, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  5. TubeHoster.com

TubeHoster.com Peon

Best Answers:
    You might want to jump on the America's Army forums (the video game), when I was active in the game, the forum was VERY busy. Just a thought.

Cheers.

TubeHoster.com, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  6. ApacheStark

ApacheStark Peon

Best Answers:
    excellent idea the same goes pretty much for all FPS army shooter games,

ApacheStark, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  7. lissie

lissie Peon

Best Answers:
    You have a very niche market: I would think that relevant forums would be the ideal free marketing approach. For long term build backlinks from relevant sites: but that might be tricky given the controversal nature of the product

lissie, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  8. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Bookmark your pages in all dofollow social bookmarking sites. You'll see improved rankings.

Bohol, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  9. Tuzic.com

Tuzic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    hi,

do some article writing i have seen many do well with this.

Tuzic.com, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  10. ApacheStark

ApacheStark Peon

Best Answers:
    First the content of course but also I have never in my life seen such childish behaviour by webmasters.

one page I wrote (and mind you I used a very good template good english thought through not a "Hi my name is XXX and this is my webpage do you want to trade links?"
    anyways one webmaster replied:

Him: I put a link on my webpage if you put a banner on yours

Me: Say again? That's not the plan nor did I ask for that

Him: How many hits you have

Me: Well we are pretty fresh only a month we have around 1k unique hits and lot of pageviews.

Hi reply a day later: "WE HAVE 10000 and our YOUTUBE the same ahahah"

Real childish and that was only one of them mails i got back, granted i got some very good once like from http://www.gishavingfun.com was very cool but overall I'm done sounding like I am begging for link exchange.

11. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ApacheStark, your already a member of my site - http://www.survivalistboards.com/

Get into the military weapons section and start posting links to your videos - http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

I even have a videos section - http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

I dont see what the big deal is, get in there and start posting. We have members that post links and videos from all kinds of sites, why shouldn't yours be included? Those sections in my forum are just for military style weapons and anything else related to the military.

Also, members can have an RSS feed link next to their names. So enter that information into your profile on my site. But your RSS feeds are XML based, so I dont know if they will work.

From what I saw of your site, it looks like a blend of youtube and liveleak. Its going to appeal to a certain, but large audience. I dont see any reason why your site can not take off and get lots of traffic. But you need to get the videos out there.

One of the most popular modifications for vbulletin is the automatic embedding media mod. Make an XML file so your videos can be embedded into vbulletin forums. Then release the XML file on Vbulletin.org. This will help promote your site as well. I use the automatic embedding media modification on my site. It would really help you out if site like mine embedded the video, instead of just posting a link.

Lets take the "Female Suicide Bomber speaks out" videos, that would fit in perfect with the Controversial News and Alternative Politics section on my site.

Also, sign up on my sons Team Fortress forum - http://www.fortresstraining.com/forum/ and post your videos in the non-fortress section - its at the bottom of the page. My son needs content on his forum anyway.

=================================EDIT=============================

After thinking about my reply, I feel that making an XML file for the automatic embedding media modification at vbulletin.org would help point you in a good direction. This could help you get your videos out to forums that install the XML file - which takes just a couple of minutes. There is a bundle of xml releases that is offered as a download at vbulletin.org. Get with the author of that bundle, and ask him to include your XML file.

Here is the automatic embedding media modification - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189267

And here is the XML definitions - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=175378

Once you have this done, you can embed your own videos into your forum.

:)

~kev~, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  12. ApacheStark

ApacheStark Peon

Best Answers: