1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will directories die because of Google?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Sxperm, Oct 6, 2008.

After reading this thread Google No Longer Suggests Directory Submission. I wonder if directories are going to die because of Google or not since Google may devalued link from all directories, even a bug one such as Yahoo, DMOZ. Most of webmasters submit their sites, both free and paid because of seo effect and not about traffics. What do you think? :)

Sxperm, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  2. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As long as google will value links for their ranking algorithm
    directories will have a place on the internet !!!

Chios, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  3. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes very rightly said, i am still optimistic about this strategy.

gauravgrt, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  4. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Lemme tell you, directories today are the most important portals online that contribute in a very big way for Seo & advertising.

Submissions done in the right manner surely benefit and there is no way the directory industry can die, there is only one possibility, it may grow even better and further. Ofcourse there are gonna be crap stuff like there is in every type of industry.

Google just doesn't want people to use cheap n easy tactics for ranking, but I don't blame them, but you see every industry has pros n cons. :)

humm, Oct 6, 2008 IP
    tradeya likes this.
  5. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree but I think Google may devalue links from directories in some degree, depends on editorial status of that directory. Google may not reduce value of directories link to zero but choose not to count some suspicious directory (auto approval without human editor, etc.)

Sxperm, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt they will die, theres still yahoo, msn and the other search engines.

They dont hate directories, they just want to control them, as they will indeed control all sites, your mobile phone choice, your payment processing, emailing and your banking options in the future.

Its not all bad, you just have to get used to the idea.

The alternative is a worldwide revolution to over throw the governments but that will never happen, so climb aboard roller coaster google, enjoy the ride because it doesn't stop, even if you want to get off, lol :)

pipes, Oct 6, 2008 IP
    tradeya likes this.
  7. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    devalue link... this doesn't happen coz of a directory or directory owner but because of the submitter.

A smart submitter can rank for biggest competition by just submitting to directories, if his submissions are done smartly.

What happens in future is not known, but for sure google hates duplicate content and hence links get devalued and we assume its because of the directory but this happens coz of the submitter.

Though there are exceptional cases wherein the directory is crap itself. :p

humm, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  8. Michael smith

Michael smith Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't think this will happen.

Michael smith, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  9. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    it's very not fair if they devalued link from directories,
    what is the difference from DMOZ and Yahoo as well as Business dot com with a part of quality directories?
    Google should close the DMOZ first if they think directories is useless or something like that!

WallaceYeung, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  10. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it doesn't mean google will discard directory links when they remove those 2 lines.
    Maybe google just don't want to encourage people to focus too much on yahoo or dmoz.

xc06, Oct 6, 2008 IP
    tradeya likes this.
  11. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    They've already died, compared to the way they were a year or two ago. But, they'll never be gone completely. They still provide some value, but they don't compare to 'natural' links anymore.

mdvaldosta, Oct 6, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 and tradeya like this.
  12. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeah i would agree with this. they are not that much value like before but still "useful" insome sort of bringing traffic and backlinks.

tradeya, Oct 6, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  13. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because Google removes the suggestion to submit to Yahoo and DMOZ, directories are going to die? I've seen a good number of comments along the same lines, and think it is all hogwash.

Yahoo is Google's direct competitor. DMOZ has long been accused of having corrupt editors. Why would Google bother associating itself with these organizations? Who knows, maybe Google will creat its own directory and charge $299 a year for inclusion. That would be a great way for them to increase revenue in the face of a failing economy.

People are reading too much into what Google removed and not at the facts. I have sites that still rank well with only backlinks from free directories. Granted they are not in competitive niches, but they do rank well for the niches they are in...

snowbird, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  14. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Last night i was browsing yahoo directory and i see a lot of crapy websites listed there,so i guess if i have once sugest list your site on yahoo dir and pay an anual fee of 299$ then i would expect someone to actually review the sites every year,but i am sure that this is not happening so if someone on google notice that, it will be wise to take out this suggestion.

scoobby, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  15. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The good directories will always be valued by Google. The crap directories are what they want rid of.

mikey1090, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  16. tyler3

tyler3 Peon

Best Answers:
    google doesn't own DMOZ, do they? I thought they just used the directory to index sites...

tyler3, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  17. marki8

marki8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i hope this not happen, people have own opinion, maybe someday this will be big issue for blogger...not webmaster... i mean using html, like old method not using blog platform for fast index,

marki8, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  18. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Will internet democrazy die coz of loogle! ::Thinking::
    the question (OP) sounds like a communist school of thought!

msolution, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Directory links still provide some value. After all, they are still links, and links do help. But it's clear that in the past directories were being valued disproportionately high, compared to the actual value they offered other than the link's benefit. I think things have just come "down to earth" and are finding a new, more realistic equilibrium.

Jim4767, Oct 6, 2008 IP
  20. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, that thread also says they removed the line "Have other relevant sites link to yours". So I guess relevant links are out too. ;)

</sarcasm>

No, they won't die. But they must adapt like all other sites, and Google must adapt as well. The way directories have been used in the past is becoming obsolete. I still have good success promoting with paid directories. I'm psyched to see them get even cooler as we're all forced to evolve. :cool:

Tekime, Oct 6, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.