1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Huge Bailout Proposal--$700 billion--Suck the bad debt out of the financial system

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by earlpearl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    SEOibiza, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  2. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  3. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    possibly.. when is it again?

4. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bogart:

I suspect their goal is to keep banks/financial institutions operating and save the financial system from large scale collapse. I hope that is their singular goal. The credit system is teetering and there are failures occuring as we speak.

Who is to blame? The mortgage companies got their fees and are gone. The originating banks made these mortgages. They are either stuck with them or they securitized them and sold them to other institutions. The ones that hold the mortgages are part of the blame game. They bought these things and didn't do due diligence on their credit worthiness. From the link provided by Pizzaman it appears that the credit rating agencies totally f*cked up. They need to be hammered IMHO.

I suspect to save the credit system one needs to move fast.

The banking institutions are going to take big big writedowns and losses in selling this to the US. If this system is to go forward, IMHO the Gov needs to buy at firesale prices. If you are buying at $0.25 on the dollar, the gov basically buys equal to or more than the entire value of sub prime mortgages as originally issued as the gov would suck in the value of $2.8 trillion in mortgage value. Will that be so low that it wipes out banks? I don't know. If it is that low, then the gov should buy higher I suppose since the goal is to keep the institutions healthy. The real effort is to keep the institutions alive and give them trust in one another that they will start making loans to one another as they did up to this crisis. That will reinstate liquidity.

Its an ugly mess no doubt. There are no sweet answers.

My guess is that simply not doing anything will see the big banking institutions crash and the credit markets die. That would be a bigger disaster.

@Logicflux: I think Newt Gingrich would be most helpful by saying or doing something productive. It appears Congress's review of the original Paulson request modified his original proposal to not give him that ultimate power. Give credit to folks who addressed that. Newt is Monday Morning Quaterbacking and trying to score political points.

earlpearl, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  5. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    the problems run far, far deeper than people not paying their mortgages back.

the links in my post above are to articles detailing how the banks have traded (gambled) with each other with CDTs (a type of spread-betting insurance policy) to the tune of over 1000x more than the toxic sub prime debts themselves.

and in their greed to make money while it was good they've over leveraged themselves by 30 times their capital, so with capital backing of only $100 million, means they have on average gone in for $1.5 trillion dollars losses, assuming the property values would always continue rising.

the credit crunch people refer to was basically the point the suddenly realised they didnt actually know the extent of their liabilities any more and all suddenly stopped lending before they went any further in.

it's collosal, and unstoppable.

6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Leverage is a wonderful thing when all goes well. When things go the other way... well it is a small detonator charge that makers a nuclear bomb work. I wont pretend to know exactly how deep the water is, but the greater the leverage the more likely they've invented the economic equivalent of a black hole.

If so... well, I worked my way thru college as a butcher... if I eventually get to live in the road show version of Mad Max after an economic holocaust, the skill oughta come in handy. Guess we're gonna find out.

robjones, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody knows the details of the bill but I am thinking that the bamks will be getting over on this. If the US were to buy $2.8 trillion for $700 billion, it may help to straighten out the mess. Howver, if it's closer to 100% then the bailout has been for nothing.

bogart, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  8. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    bill is supposed to be available online
    http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/28/ayo08c04_xml.pdf

pizzaman, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    6 more weeks

Once the elections are over Bernake will go underground. The FED can't risk a collapse in an election year or they may face a political blacklash.

bogart, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  10. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    There should be a reading in DC tomorrow. The lawmakers are pushing this bailout through without weighing the risks.

homebizseo, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  11. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The same thing happened after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Thousands of prepaid credit cards were passed out that were used to buy liquor or spent in strip clubs. Thousands of trailers were purchased that are stilling sitting on lots in Arkansas and even a luxury liner was rented to house refugess which sat empty. The US spent 200 billion+ on New Orleans and there is little or no improvement.

bogart, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  12. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    they may not even make it that long.

globally the banks were bailed out at an average rate of 188 billion per day over the last week I read somewhere yesterday.

700 billion would guarantee more like one week

SEOibiza, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  13. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The 188 billion figure probably is so high due to collapses like AIG, Washington Mutual, Lehman Brothers etc.

I believe $700 billion plus the continued FED loans with get the US through the next 6 weeks. I hope so anyway.

This is turning into a worldwide financial crisis. Banks in Britian and the Netherlands are also failing.

British mortgage lender Bradford & Bingley will be nationalized. Britian's biggest mortgage lender HBOS PLC has already fallen victim to the credit crunch, and was taken over by rival Lloyds TSB PLC in a $21.85-billion deal on Sept. 18.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080928/eu_britain_bradford_bingley.html

Benelux bank Fortis nationalised to stop collapse

Stricken Beligian-Dutch bank Fortis was bailed out by the governments of Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg to the tune of €11.2bn (£8.9bn) after investors deserted the bank last week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ank-Fortis-nationalised-to-stop-collapse.html

bogart, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  14. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
  15. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people will be singing the blues on this bailout.

bogart, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  16. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    I liked this one. :p

GRIM, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Amen. Couldnt agree more.

robjones, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  18. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree the most.

browntwn, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  19. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    The miss use of funds during Katrina was absolutely appalling. I listened to talk radio today on a 8 hour business trip, And politician after politician stated that most citizens that contacted them was against the bailout. I am surprised that it received the number of votes it did.

homebizseo, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  20. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Like a deer in headlights.

Hon Daddy Dad, Sep 29, 2008 IP