1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are directories a WASTE OF TIME?!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by DinoCagney, Sep 28, 2008.

Geez.. I've submitted my site to around 500+/- free directories.... non stop..... no reciprocal....for MONTHS and MONTHS... to build one way links

So far... out of those 500+/- .... only 3 listed my real estate website

Are backlinks from directories even worth while anyways when you DO get them? Or does Google realize anyone can submit a site to a directory and its really not worth much

How about these "Directory Submission Services"....... do they live up to there word, and really get you listed in 500 directories for a fee..... or is it a scam?

Thanks!

DinoCagney, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  2. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you should know to select the quality directories, otherwise it's waste time and damage your own sites as well.

WallaceYeung, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  3. vgps

vgps Peon

Best Answers:
    submitting your site to free directories is waste of time. All free directories are trying to get more traffic from your submission. They are struggling themself to let google know about them --> so they can not help your site so much.

I never submit my site to free directories.

vgps, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  4. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you may have been submitting your link to directories that are no longer active or monitored.

desilator, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  5. globestar

globestar Guest

Best Answers:
    Article submission services are much better

globestar, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  6. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Free directories submission is not a waste in my opinion. However, you should not concentrate them too much because their link power are not that great, but link is a link. :) It's like gambling a little, some free directories these days may be a big guys in a soon and your submission would be worthwhile because you submit while it "FREE".

Sxperm, Sep 28, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  7. DinoCagney

DinoCagney Peon

Best Answers:
    What about these companies that will manually do it for you?? Have you heard of any that will actually get you "500 links" etc.???

8. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never dealt with this before. I prefer to manually submit my links just so I know they have actually been submitted.

9. chucky00

chucky00 Banned

Best Answers:
    waste of time for sure..you can even go down because some of them..be careful where your links lands

chucky00, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  10. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What are you using to determine the number of backlinks from these directories? The reason I ask is Google only shows a small sampling of your backlinks and it's possible you have more than three.

I'd consider this as well. Lots of the "free" directory list floating around are outdated and the directories aren't being maintained. A couple of ways I check is look at the "lastest" links if there is one. If the last link added was a year ago chances are pretty good you are wasting your time. Also some directories display their statistics and if it has 10,000 pending links chances are good the owner has just let it go.

Another thing to consider besides where you submit is what you are submitting. If a directory owner is concerned with building a quality resource, free or paid, they will not accept any and every submission and if they do you may not want to be listed there.

I don't know anything about your site and I'm certainly not saying this is the case but I would look at my submissions and be sure you are submitting a good title and description and not trying submit something really "spammy". I routinely submit to free directories and I have a very good acceptance rate with fast approvals.

As far as using directory submission services, there are some good ones around but I would do my research first and find one that is highly rated by other people here. Personally I like to do my own so I know exactly where my sites are being submitted, when and what info is being used. There are some tools that make this pretty easy. For instance I use FireFox and InFormEnter and it takes less that a minute make a submission.

LakeCountry, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  11. DinoCagney

DinoCagney Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard that Inbound links cant hurt you.... otherwise, there would be nothing but sabotage

12. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    Building too many back links can appear unnatural and good have negative effects.

13. travelgirl

travelgirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought your goal should be to build high quality links with high PR pages... if it happens to be a free directory then all the better???:D

I also was under the impression that building a lot of backlinks is great... the only thing you want to make sure is that you don't do them all in the same month. You want your links to appear as if you acquired them over a "natural period of time" --- how long is that? I don't know... but you prolly don't want to get 300 approvals in one month.:eek:

I'm new at this game but I have found success with this website

http://www.directorycritic.com/free-directory-list.html

I even think I discovered it through a thread in this forum.....

I have concentrated on the free directories that have higher PR ratings and don't require a reciprocal link.... and I've gotten several approvals with PR3's and a PR4 site already.:D

Others may say these ranks are low but I consider them good for me... especially since my site is young.

Good luck and check out that list...

travelgirl, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  14. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    how to count the "too many" backlinks?
    IMO it depend on the quality of link but not quantity.

WallaceYeung, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  15. jasonb25

jasonb25 Member

Best Answers:
    Link is a link no matter how un important.

jasonb25, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  16. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you might have submitted to dead directories, that is why you have witnessed poor results, for best results and approvals i advice you to submit your site to new born dirs.

gauravgrt, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  17. smivers.com

smivers.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally purchase links on high pr sites, the reason for this is simple.

You know the quality of the site and what kinf of visitors will visit the site. You dont want spam coming your way.

smivers.com, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  18. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah. Of those 500 submissions, if you followed the submission guidelines and have a decent site you should have been approved in well over 350 of them. That'd mean over 200 indexed backlinks.

mikey1090, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  19. ezimedia

ezimedia Peon

Best Answers:
    HI

People stop worrying about what directory is going to approve your submission if you use a semi auto submitter is takes only 30 secs max to submit to a directory... submit to as many as you can you never know what the directory will be in 6 months... it could be a pr 4-5 and go paid only .. there are to many new directories coming out each day to worry about what directory will approve you site.

Tom

ezimedia, Sep 29, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  20. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the free directories do not have their internal pages cached or the topics are up to twenty pages deep in popular topics. In either case if they ever bothered to submit your website it would do nothing for your it. Submit to a handful of the top directories for your websites business or service and move on to other linking methods. Your not going to see good search engine results by just linking to hundreds of useless directories.

stoner3221, Sep 29, 2008 IP