1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please can someone clear this up for me

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dee2007, Sep 22, 2008.

Hi

I asked a question a few days ago regarding submission to directories and I happened to mention that I like others submit to some of directories kindly offered here on DP as well as use some of the lists kindly supplied my members.

However I was told, that they are basically "crappy link farms" :eek:, I have to say I was surprised. I was also advised that the only directories worth submitting to are the ones that don't need to spam or promote themselves.

I'm now thinking that I need to rethink this, of course directories are only one of my link building methods, but I need to know if what I was told is true as I obviously don't want anything to do with link farms.

And with a large forum it's difficult sometimes to know what to believe ;)

Please can someone advise

Dee

Dee2007, Sep 22, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  2. authoritydomains.com

authoritydomains.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Dee2007,
    Yeah basicly I was just talking about this in another thread. Most directories are really crap and you should avoid all but the very best of them. Just submit or pay the top 5 or 10 and then any very specific niche directories related to you and thats all you need to do.

Dont waste your time chasing 1000 directories to submit to as it will be a wasted effort. Hope that saves you some time :)

authoritydomains.com, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  3. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A agree that most directories are not worth your time.

live-cms_com, Sep 22, 2008 IP
    nethelp likes this.
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There is a lot of junk directories around. You'll have to skip around them and just submit to quality ones.

mikey1090, Sep 22, 2008 IP
    nethelp likes this.
  5. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What scientific/statistical data did you use to come to this conclusion?

LakeCountry, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  6. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Experience.
    Yours for example would not be worth my time. There are FAR better ways to gain backlinks and/or traffic.

7. LakeCountry

Best Answers:

As neither would yours I'm sure. And please share your FAR better ways if you don't mind.

8. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your directories' sub-pages are PR N/A meaning the links have near no linking power, as is the case with most directories.

Any link building methods that give backlinks or PR0 or above is better than directory submission. Dofollow commenting, social bookmark submission, social bookmark commenting, link-worthy content, link exchange - all are better than directory submission.

9. LakeCountry

Best Answers:
    Ahh, I see. You are basing your advice of what's "better" based solely on the visible toolbar PR. From my experience there are many factors that determine the quality of a site/backlinks with toolbar PR being near the bottom. But hey, that's just me and it each his own right;)

10. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Toolbar PR is based on the backlinks to the page and linking power is based on the backlinks to the page...a PR N/A link is near worthless, especially one that will bring negligible traffic.

The PR in the toolbar means a lot. A PR5 backlink is obviously better SEO-wise than a PR N/A link.

11. LakeCountry

Best Answers:
    I guess it's a matter of how you look at things. I don't let PR have that much influence over my decisions and to be honest I stopped being concerned about it some time ago.

I agree that a link from a PR5 site may have more benefits than a link from a PR0 site. The thing is a PR5 site didn't start out that way.The PR0 site may become 5 within a short period and the PR5 could become PR0. You are correct in that my inner pages are showing 0 or N/A in the tool bar but that's just what Google is letting you see and the actual number could be entirely different...of course only Google really knows. I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to place value on a site based on an arbitrary tool bar number assigned by Google.

Since we are discussing directories, I will gladly accept a PR0 link from one any day and in fact I routinely submit my site to them at every opportunity. My opinion is all back links have some benefit and it's the cumulative, long term value that counts.

Again I agree that there are lots of other ways to to build backlinks but I feel that to suggest directories aren't an important part of it is inaccurate and you are missing out on a great resource.

Having said that, are there lots of crap directories? You bet and more of them every day it seems but to suggest that all or most of them or useless simply isn't the case. This is where using good judgment comes in. For the most part one can tell when a directory owner is trying to build a quality resource and when someone just throws together a junk site. IMO to say a directory is worthless because of it's PR or lack of, is very short sighted.

Of course everyone has their own opinion and mine is directories offer a great way to build quality backlinks and shouldn't be discounted.

12. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Listen Dee - As you can see your going to get the gamut of advice on a forum like this.

The thing is that I doubt a listing on any of the directories your talking about will hurt you and you just might get into a really good directory while they are still offering free listings. The thing it will cost you is the time for submitting to them and if you have the time go for it.

When it comes to directories you get more benefits from the listing when you're talking about a higher quality directory. With experience you will be able to spot the good from the bad pretty easily.

You need to decide how much your time is worth. Do you have the time to submit to 100 free directories to get that one really good one or does it make more sense to look at pay for review directories where you will be able to find quality a whole lot easier?

swedal, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  13. Dee2007

Dee2007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, well I was aware that opinions would differ on this one, my main concern was that I wouldn't be penalised, but it was mentioned in a previous thread that Google doesn't penalise you for something which your competition could be doing to you.

I agree that every directory has to start somewhere and just because it is a PR0 doesn't mean it will remain so in the future.

Does anyone have a list of what they consider to be quality directories?

Thanks

Dee

Dee2007, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  14. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a nice one

swedal, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  15. pibepalo

pibepalo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Parameters to determine best directories to submit:

1. PR>0 (at least on the homepage)
    2. Latest additions dates and available submission types clearly displayed.
    3. A lot of indexed pages at Google.
    4. SEO friendly links.
    5. A suitable,updated and clean category where submit(spam free and only a good few listings inside).
    6. Directory Age.

A lot of submitters misspend their time because they submit to neglected web directories taken from large directory lists where directories activity don't matter, or to directories which have thousands of pending free submissions.

For free submissions, I prefer avoid overcrowded good directories, because free submissions can take many months until be reviewed. In any case, I prefer links from PR0 G indexed pages right now, than the promise of links from PR2 pages in six months. Maybe, in six months, some of the acquired PR0 links will become PR1 or PR2. And probably, in this cases, directories won't be free anymore.

Anyway, to get great listings in short time, the solution is paid for these.

pibepalo, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  16. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A link farm is really a site that just has lists of URLs without any regard
    to categorizations and accepts all kinds of sites without approval

As a matter of fact I have not seen any directory like that
    so in my opinion directories are not link farms
    otherwise DMOZ and dir.yahoo.com are link farms too

Chios, Sep 23, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  17. Dee2007

Dee2007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, thanks guys :)

That was my interpretation of a links farm also and I steer clear of anything that looks like it is or that automatically approves submissions.

I knew opinions on the value of directories would differ ;) but my main concern wasn't that, it was that they can't hurt your site and I think it has been stately clearly that they can't, so thanks again :)

Dee

Dee2007, Sep 23, 2008 IP