1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories Good Or Bad

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dee2007, Sep 21, 2008.

Hi, I have been reading through some of the threads and one post said that submitting to directories is not the way to go as in the future they will be seen as link farms and you will be penalised, is there any truth in this?

Also as far as I am aware all the the directories I submit to are respectable, but how do I actually know if it's a links farm? just so I can avoid them.

Thanks

Dee

Dee2007, Sep 21, 2008 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  2. bigu

bigu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's always and forever good!

Let submit daily to all directories you see!

bigu, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  3. SerpFreak

SerpFreak Peon

Best Answers:
    Some are good, some are very very bad. Before submiting to directories i always check for: pr, alexa rank, and how much pages are in google index ... if this values are low, i do not submit.

SerpFreak, Sep 21, 2008 IP
    freelistfool likes this.
  4. Dee2007

Dee2007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does everyone check all the above info for every directory they submit too??

Also what happens if you submit to a site that you believe to be decent and respectable and it turns out not to be?

Thanks

Dee

Dee2007, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  5. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Google would never penalize you for being listed in a directory because your competitors could easily submit your site to a few thousand directories. It's not a rocket science.

zexy, Sep 21, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  6. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Submitting to a directory won't hurt you. Where you need to be careful is where your site links out to. Be sure to verify the quality of any other site you link to.

freelistfool, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  7. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    check the status on google by typing the site name.

MeetHere, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  8. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Submitting to directories really won't harm you. People (like me) have only been penalised for building thousands of links too quickly.

mikey1090, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  9. Kurg

Kurg Member

Best Answers:
    GOOD directories are few and far between. Even with the best script a good amount of SEO work needs to be done by the owner. Then the owner has to promote it so that it draws regular traffic as well as (painfully at times) go through each link one by one and evaluate them all.

Some pointers
    - If the directory is empty, save your time.
    - If the directory is essentially a DMOZ clone, save your time.
    - If you browse through a few sections and find blatant spam, MFA or other junk... save your time.

Your site is who you associate it with. I've seen some PR1- PR2 directories worth more to webmasters submitting links than a PR7 site (index only, NO internal page gets pagerank)

CHOOSE CAREFULLY !

Kurg, Sep 21, 2008 IP
    silencer likes this.
  10. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Good points but it would take more time to evaluate a directory than submit to it :D

zexy, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  11. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As per usual, what was probably a well intentioned post from a forum member, has actually turned into a misleading statement.

You would not be penalised for submitting to directories (many people do it, the same as many people also advertise). However, if those sites offering the links turn out to be *bad* sites, and are penalised, then any benefit that you did derive from those sites before the penalty, you wouldn't derive after the penalty. So the time you spent submitting to those directories, would be lost...

Look at their latest listings, or check out a few of their popular categories (Travel, Real Estate, Business). If they are full of spammy/junk listings (i.e. they are accepting almost everyone) then they are a link farm.

A directory requires editing, cataloguing, and work. A link farm doesn't bother to filter the good sites from the bad sites, they just add anything that gets submitted to them.

The metrics provided are actually less of an indicator of quality in a directory than the actual content/listings within a directory. As stated above, check out popular cats or latest listings - if there is a significant amount of junk within a directory then its more likely to be tagged as a link farm than one that has little or no junk.

Then you've wasted your time... But the same could be said of investing in a bank. Look at the current situation in the US. At least in the directory industry the worst investment that you will lose is the time that you spent submitting.

You can't know everything about every site. Just make sure you do some research before submitting, and you will minimise the time that you waste.

I actually disagree with this. Evaluating can be a very fast process if you know what to look for. For instance, you only need to skim a latest listings section to see if there is any spam. Ok, that method isn't foolproof, but if there is spam in the latest listings section then no more evaluation is required. I can rule out probably anywhere between 50-80% of directories by that one method alone.

silencer, Sep 22, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  12. appleiphone

appleiphone Active Member

Best Answers:
    If all the same you I think new directories will be underdeveloped :p

appleiphone, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  13. SerpFreak

SerpFreak Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry i do not know what your want to say. Could you please be more precise. I submit to directories this way, but it is true that directories present 5% of my seo optimization.

SerpFreak, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  14. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are always good and bad directories, do a little research of it when submitting your site to the directory

xc06, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  15. Kyliemeg

Kyliemeg Active Member

Best Answers:
    So far, I've submitted to many and they have never hurt my forum.

Kyliemeg, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  16. tails423

tails423 Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ = good
    The rest = bad

tails423, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  17. itportal

itportal Peon

Best Answers:
    Some directories are very good. and other things depends upon the directories PR.

itportal, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  18. flatroxs

flatroxs Banned

Best Answers:
    Submit Daily 200 Directory and Use This List Addurl.nu

flatroxs, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  19. ezimedia

ezimedia Peon

Best Answers:
    HI

What is a link farm... and if there was such a thing.. what would stop your competitors submit your website link to 1000's of link farms to get you penalized in google... ?

Tom

ezimedia, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  20. flatroxs

flatroxs Banned

Best Answers:
    Directory Submission is The Very Useful Part in SEO and improve Website Page Rank

flatroxs, Sep 30, 2008 IP