1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My idea of overal promotion strategy for the n00b.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Regrouping-webmaster, Sep 20, 2008.

I'm thinking that a noob should do these things for their overall advertising plans.

basic on site SEO with occasional links
    Paid advertising in relevant ezines
    Paid advertising on relevant websites, directly from the website. Preferably text ads; -controls needed on very sticky websites such as forums for consideration of ad blindness.
    Buying other's signatures for $x per month.
    Limited Blog commenting
    Limited article marketing
    Website submission to DMOZ & yahoo directory.
    (optional) - paid links
    PPC should be permitted on a very small scale AFTER the n00b has gotten their feet wet with other promotions.
    (optional) social bookmark links at the bottom of every page.

Forbidden:
    self-building signature links
    spam of all kinds
    Directory Submissions of all kinds except to the top 2.
    extensive blog commenting.
    link farms
    anything blackhat.
    Banner exchanges

Anybody have any to add to either list or any portion to contest? Obviously the n00b should expect to lose some money upfront and be given some kind of primer, but otherwise I'm thinking that this would be a decent list of things to do & things that will effectively waste resources.

Regrouping-webmaster, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  2. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    what do you mean when you say it is forbidden to do self building signature links?

zurpit.com, Sep 20, 2008 IP
    tamiro1992 likes this.
  3. danimal62

danimal62 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with forbidding self-building signature links. I think it is a great technique if not abused. One should never post in a forum if they are not adding to it and providing quality content. I think maybe the OP is afraid that a noob would just post random posts say things like "nice post" or "I agree" just to get their link out there.

When done correctly, signature links work well!

danimal62, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  4. supa2008

supa2008 Guest

Best Answers:
    Not sure why the above are forbidden. Please explain why you would forbid self building signature links , directory submission of all kinds except 2 you mentioned , blog commenting , banner exchanges.

Thanks in advance

Peter Thompson

supa2008, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  5. smallone

smallone Banned

Best Answers:
    That seems a really strange thing to say. Signature links are good and directory submissions are good too. As for the other forbidden ones I agree with you. But why do you say about the Sigs and Directories. Would be good if you could explain your reasons.

smallone, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  6. CaffinePhil

CaffinePhil Banned

Best Answers:
    I would say blog commenting and forum sig builing are two musts for n00bs.

CaffinePhil, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  7. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Overall promotion strategy = The Marketingers Project
    Offering free marketing service, you can focus on what's more important... the site itself.

jeffbeer09, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  8. Regrouping-webmaster

Regrouping-webmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    By forbidden I mean that the "client" would be directed not to post signature links or use anything else in the forbidden list. Legitimate posts of all kinds with signature links do pull a few people with them and do build links. However having done this, I question if a signature link is it is worth the $1.00 it costs. ( ($24/hr / 2 (30 minutes per post ) / 12 months ROI). Most postings I've made turn up 0 people in direct referrals and the page originating the link is a PR0 with no inbound links or initial aging. If the destination page has an excellent profit margin and conversion rate then maybe a signature link would be fine.

Directory links have the same issue as above; with a few exceptions nobody uses them (no traffic).

I'm recommending SEO be a side item not the center of the marketing strategy. This means that anything done just for SEO link building (maybe blog commenting too?) of questionable financial responsibility. Time is money I want my "clients" to make enough money to justify their time, and do so consistently. Some things are tempting, but eat a horrendous amount of time with little return.

Keep the comments coming!

Regrouping-webmaster, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  9. arkrose

arkrose Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting list. Of cource if you have money you can buy any traffic you want. Is that targeted? Organic searche traffic is much more targeted with right keywords. Directory submissions, article submissions and any kind of high value backlink building is not only important, it's vital.

But something I do agree. That signature link is worthless. Only thing what might give it some value is, if it looks cool.

arkrose, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  10. mariochase

mariochase Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah. I think that is a good start strategies for newbies in the internet marketing scene. But it will take sometime anyway.

mariochase, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  11. Regrouping-webmaster

Regrouping-webmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    If a new person gets some quality direction, it would take a lot less time...

Regrouping-webmaster, Sep 21, 2008 IP