1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Network: Position vs MaxCPC vs Clicks

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Binary Ant, Sep 11, 2008.

Hello everybody. I know that in Search it is recommended to bid high at the beginning and then as the time goes by lower the bids to values more profitable. This is because we want to get more action at the beginning so we get more CTR and consecuently a better QS to record a good campaign history.

Now let's go to CN, I'm more confused here than in Search. I think that the "howto" here is similar in spite of not having QS for kw. This is my case:

- 12 hours since campaign launch (only CN)
    - 9 adgroups, $0.20/click

Results:

- 1 adgroup getting impresions and 95% of the clicks and position 2
    - 6 adgroups getting impressions but almost no clicks and positions between 5 and 6
    - 2 adgroups getting 0 impresions.

What should be the next steps for every case I got with no clicks?

- Impresions but no clicks: Should I increase the bids to reach a better position?
    - No impresions: Should I increase the bids or wait a little longer?

Anyway I'll wait another 8 or 10 hours before doing any change.

Binary Ant, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  2. Vagabondette

Vagabondette Member

Best Answers:
    how is your ad language? My ads routinely show at 4-7 spot and I'm still getting decent clicks.

Vagabondette, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  3. Binary Ant

Binary Ant Peon

Best Answers:
    Update:
    - Same 9 adgroups, all of them running with views, only one has 0 clicks.
    - 29 clicks in total after 15 hours.
    - 15 clicks from just one adgroup.
    - 4 adgroups with CTR <= 0.02% , should I increase the bids here?

Ads written in English. Gramatically I think they are ok and with no mispells. I can't tell you how good is my copywriting, I don't know :confused: ...

Binary Ant, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  4. Vagabondette

Vagabondette Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean what language you wrote them in but rather what do they say. If your ads aren't enticing people won't click. You have to really sell it, create some interest.

I don't think it's a problem to post them here if you're comfortable with that. Then maybe people can give suggestions...

Vagabondette, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  5. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:

1. content picks up momentum over time. It usually picks up the most after 24 - 48 hours have passed
    2. how many keywords did you place in your adgroups?
    3. What position are you coming in? You want to be around 3 for the most exposure, if your under position 3 then you are under bidding

robertpriolo, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  6. cavepro

cavepro Peon

Best Answers:
    @Robert - Should we aim for position 3 in network search?

What is the best amount of keywords to have in an adgroup. I tried a campaign with over 35,000 keywords. Is it too much?

cavepro, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  7. Binary Ant

Binary Ant Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Almost 48h now. I still have an adgroup with CTR 0.0 and position 4.4, perhaps I should delete it.
    2. More or less 49kw/adgroup. I don't place more than 50kw/group.
    3. My best performing adgroup with CTR of 0.10% is in position 3.1. My average position is 4.7 and I don't have any adgroup with position over 6. With my actual bids I'm losing money and if I increase the bids to improve position I'll increase my loss.

QUESTIONS:

- Should I try to improve my position in spite of the loss during this first days of campaign?
    - It is important in content network to reach top 3 positions?

More or less I'm quite clear and straight forward in my Text Ads. I explain the customers what they are going to see and I encourage them to take the action. My conversions have improved from the 1st day to the 2nd, and I have started to decrease the bids (10% every 24hours) in the best performing adgroups.

Binary Ant, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  8. Vagabondette

Vagabondette Member

Best Answers:
    Holy cow! 35,000? I don't think I could even come up with that many. I started with 100 or so and every few days I've gone in and deleted the ones with no/the worst CTR until I"m down to about 30 and I'm going to remove more today.

with 35k I don't see how you can have a decent quality score at all or how most of them could even be remotely related to your subject.

I'd say start by getting rid of about 34,950 of your worst performing keywords and then going from there.

Vagabondette, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  9. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:

I think you are just experiencing a bad CTR. You probably need to write more compelling text ads. Remember in content the users are more interested in the article they are reading, not the ads around it. You need to make your ad stand out and call attention to itself.

1. If your average position is greater than 4 then you simply just need better text ads.

2. for content network only the top 3 advertisers get the most exposure as most site either display only position number 1 or the top 3 positions. Advertisers 4 and under and usually junk sites that are just spamming there pages with adsense.

3. If you want more impressions try less keywords per adgroup. less then 20

robertpriolo, Sep 13, 2008 IP