1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hubpages Advice for Budding Writer

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Ajeet, Sep 3, 2008.

I have a young relative, still in college, who would like to write. The good part is that she can write. The bad part is that she has no discipline, at all.

So, instead of taking orders from clients and never finishing them, I thought it might be good if she could write for herself. This will permit her to write whenever she feels like it.

After some preliminary research, I think that writing for Hubpages might be the easiest way for her to monetize her earnings (Adsense). She has no knowledge nor inclination to learn anything tech.

Do you think Hubpages is the right way to go?

Ajeet, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  2. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In short, yes and no.

About AdSense: No.

About using HubPages as part of something larger: Yes.

But, I'll hold further comments until I see posts from others.

marketjunction, Sep 3, 2008 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  3. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to say "no" to using HubPages to make money from Adsense, at least not as a primary means of making money. HubPages takes part of Adsense revenue share. She can set up her own website, put up Adsense (or some other types of advertisements) and take 100% of the earnings.

If she wants to take advantage of the traffic potential from HubPages, she can put up some articles and use them to drive readers to her own site. Then, she can still put up Adsense as a secondary way to bring in money.

latoya, Sep 3, 2008 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  4. cheekui

cheekui Peon

Best Answers:
    I will suggest you to buy her a domain name with PR and then install a wordpress blog on it. ;)

CK

cheekui, Sep 4, 2008 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Hubpage is best a supplement to your website and work rather than on it's own. Tell her to start a free/easy to handle blog on blogspot or something and supplement it with some hubpages.

lightless, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you ask her to write for you. That way she can also learn to maintain clients, and you get new content...
    regards :)

JEET, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  7. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks all. The problem I foresee with setting up a new blogspot or wordpress kind of blog is that she will not do link building or any other kind of marketing. She just wants to write :)

I will be one frustrated client then. I think she should set up her purely flexi-time writing arrangement. Then if she starts getting serious about it, I can surely point her to sources for getting clients :)

Ajeet, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While the pay will be awful, if she's looking to earn directly from writing, she might be better off just doing articles for Associated Content. If she won't put effort into marketing at all or dealing with clients, it sounds like she might be the type that would get frustrated waiting around to start earning adsense revenue with Hubpages. Unfortunately (and I know you know this) there's generally a lot more to making money with writing than just the writing itself. :(

jhmattern, Sep 5, 2008 IP
    Ajeet and sachin410 like this.
  9. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Get her to register a profile at HubPages.

She won't have to worry about setting up a site or a blog. It'll be straight forward and easy for her to sign up and implement Adsense, Ebay and Amazon.

May I suggest that she read http://hubpages.com/hub/how (written by me) to show her the 'ropes'.

She can go at her own pace. She can write about things that she enjoys. She can get plenty of encouragement by the rest of the community.

She may find herself addicted to it, and as a writer, being addicted to writing (and becoming prolific) can only be a good thing.

Reprobate, Sep 8, 2008 IP
  10. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the convenience of HubPages. But as a rough estimate, what is the kind of money she should expect from an article?

Ajeet, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  11. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not much (if we're talking about relying on AdSense crap here).

Her best bet would be to pick an affiliate product and promote it via her lenses or hub pages.

She's going to be very limited anyway until she learns more about Internet marketing.

One idea would be to build the lenses and hub pages for affiliate products and sell them off if she doesn't make much.

marketjunction, Sep 9, 2008 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  12. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    It would depend on how well the search engines pick up on it and other promotional factors.

The more original and unique, the better chance of an indexing and ranking highly.

If its quality, and by that I mean from a readers point of view, it also stands a chance of being passed on via "word of mouth".

Then it would also depend on what she's writing about.

And then how many articles she's written.

She could make $5 a day from Adsense. Which isn't much, but that's residual. You can be getting that day in, day out 24 hours a day, earning while you're asleep.

It's not an exact science. Some articles might not do well, but 6 months down the track BLAM, its hot. Others may start off strong and then taper off. And others may get a little trickle of traffic of 15 visitors a day, but it can be never ending.

My suggestion is to write what you know and enjoy.

Reprobate, Sep 10, 2008 IP
    sachin410 likes this.