1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best free php directory script available?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by oakley56fila, Sep 4, 2008.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a good php directory script. The main feature I'm interested in is the ability to charge for postings. I want to setup the directory and let it gain popularity and PR and then introduce a small fee. It would be acceptable to have to upgrade from a free version to a paid version when I'm ready to charge, but I wouldn't want to convert the entire thing to a different script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

oakley56fila, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    an0n, Sep 4, 2008 IP
    hyper likes this.
  3. oakley56fila

oakley56fila Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, I have been searching and I have found a few. I'm looking for anyone that may have experience using a directory script. I can only trust back alley website reviews so much.

Any HELP would be great.

oakley56fila, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  4. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So, if you have found a few, summarize what you've learned and have come to a conclusion on thus far.

As far as iPod(allydirectory) goes, he is one of the few that I can count on ONE hand that I DO actually trust.

an0n, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  5. fear

fear Banned

Best Answers:
    fear, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  6. amenda

amenda Banned

Best Answers:
    phpld v2.0 & v2.1 are the best free php directory script.

amenda, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  7. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    phpld is the most popular, you can try this script first. :)

WallaceYeung, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  8. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHPLD the best?It was, maybe. But i found the biggest flaw in it that will make my wallets go empty.

2 years back i bought my first 3.06 license later followed by many others. Installed on my directory. Promoted my directories. Got custom template. got N numbers of paid mods.

But now when i am facing a SPAM problem, i am suggested to upgrade to the latest 3.3 version. Upgrading needs upgrade of all templates coz no one template work for different versions in PHPLD <- biggest flaw. It also need upgrade for paid mods and as it requires reinstallation, those services aren't going to be free.

PHPLD is good but when you really want to take your directory to next level. It is not the script to go with! It will burn holes in your pocket until and unless you decide to stick with free templates and no modification whatsoever.

Thanks Rob. BTW, i think i can wait for your script to come out to save me from future hassles. Seriously man, i need a new directory script!

iPod, Sep 5, 2008 IP
    an0n likes this.
  9. alexme

alexme Guest

Best Answers:
    I am personally a fan of OpenLD...

If you have time to work on a theme (which is easy to setup), you can do it! Check out www.thegreatdirectory.org or www.the-net-directory.com.

I believe this is a great script, especially in maintenance, approving and rejecting listings etc... However I will say, if you want support and easy customization because your not as "willing to do the real work in making a custom setup" you should use phpLD. :)

alexme, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  10. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  11. alexme

alexme Guest

Best Answers:
    Mmmm yea, ^^^^ that sucks bigtime... The forum was used quite a bit for people sharing their scripts/themes etc but yea, they aren't around at the moment which is not good.

alexme, Sep 7, 2008 IP