1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.com vs .info vs .net

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Mencius, Sep 4, 2008.

So, what do you think the pros and cons are of having something other than a .com?

I think most companies use .com and it seems more "official" for some reason, but are there are real detriments to using a .info or .org or .net or something like that?

Mencius, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  2. Boo

Boo Peon

Best Answers:
    well i use mostly .com and .org..
    but dont like .info for some reasion, maybe bad reputation

Boo, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  3. glendowney

glendowney Notable Member

Best Answers:
    .coms are obviously better as most people know of the .com so your more likely to get type in traffic if you have a memorable domain name that has a .com extension.

I don't really mind what extension I get, I aim for better SERP position than trying to get type-ins.

glendowney, Sep 4, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  4. kori

kori Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there are any real detriments for using something other than .com, except that the general public is more used to seeing .com than anything else. I think one of the biggest advantages with .net and others is the possibility of getting a good domain name with those extensions that might not be available with .com anymore.

kori, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have .info more than 1 year and earn $50/m through adsense, also index well in SE. I don't see the negative.

tamaras, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  6. chaitu2006

chaitu2006 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think .com strikes easily to mind than .org or .info since .com was reputed since long and i heard in some forum that many people think .info are mostly scams. but i don't believe it

chaitu2006, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  7. Inisheer

Inisheer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I think the main reason is for branding purposes. Let's say your website is DigitalPoint.com. Somebody might know the name "Digital Point" but not the extension. .com is the most popular, so most people will type in whatever.com in the address bar. People are less likely to type in .info or something else, so .com is best if you want people to easily know and remember your full URL.

However, if you are just doing SEO, article marketing, etc, then I don't see any bad reasons for not having .com domains. When you use anchor text, or direct search engine results, people don't look at the url as much and they will still go to your site. A .info domain would work fine, but it depends what you want to do with it.

Inisheer, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  8. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In terms of SEO there are no pros or cons. There is a debate that not owning a .com results in people automatically going o the .com version, though as people get more used to alternative TLDs this is happening less.

MattUK, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  9. Mencius

Mencius Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I think I can get much more relevant .info, etc. domains than .com and I am mainly hoping for the online traffic, especially SERP.

I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks!

Mencius, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  10. elt4all

elt4all Peon

Best Answers:
    .com is the best !!!

elt4all, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  11. Essociate

Essociate Peon

Best Answers:
    .com is the leader of the pack and is the beneficiary of type-in traffic from the other extensions since surfers are very conditioned. we have seen very good results with our .org's as compared to out .net's and other extensions. .biz has been the poorest performer for us.

Essociate, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  12. Rulzar

Rulzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I always figured .com gets all the free traffic from the folks who forget to type in there favorite 2nd rate ___. although if I had to pick .net or .org would be a close second...all the others are the sam IMO

Rulzar, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  13. fitchtank

fitchtank Member

Best Answers:
    A report was recently released that showed, in numerical order, which extensions serve up the most viruses/ spyware. I don't remember who posted the report but the more obscure the extension obviously the greater the threat and the less credibility you have when using one. I remember that .info was pretty high up there in terms of negative sentiment.

fitchtank, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  14. zawswe

zawswe Guest

Best Answers:
    Its about trust to the user, but I have had just as much success ranking ".info/.in/.cc" as I have with ".com/.net/.org"

zawswe, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  15. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Most people think .com is the only possible TLD.
    So if your competitor has the .com and you promote .net - you're in trouble.

zexy, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  16. Hoster1983

Hoster1983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Comparisons of domains have been a topic of discussions from a long time. In fact, "domainphobia", a new term can be used to describe the fear of registering domains other than .com.

I really don't understand why people fear registering domains other than .com....it has nothing to do with SEO, PR, or search engine acceptance or penalization. I run a few websites with .info domains and i can tell you, the traffic, PR, etc is of the same quality as of similar websites with either .com, .net or so called "good domains".

Its not the domain, but how much time and energy you dedicate to your website that matters :rolleyes:

Hoster1983, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  17. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have FM, and I do just fine also.

copper12, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  18. World_Peace

World_Peace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .com should be the priority, if it is not available then .net should be the second option and if that is also not available then go for any other extension you like. :)

World_Peace, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  19. Pinup Girl

Pinup Girl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    .com is the best,the second good extension is .net

Pinup Girl, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  20. DrAnte

DrAnte Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you use non .com than you will loose some traffic because people remember domain name without extension. Than they write www.yourdomain.com in browser instead www.yourdomain.net.

.net is better if you have some network/computer/internet related site. Net i short name for network. Computer related people will not forget the extension.

If site is non computer related, than many of people will forgot the extension. In that case your trafic is goint to .com domain owner.

DrAnte, Sep 5, 2008 IP