1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Tricks" to get High PR backlinks

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by DinoCagney, Aug 21, 2008.

1. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The proof is right there in Google's Webmaster Guidelines right under the "when your site is ready" heading.

Now, let's expand on this a little further. Google also states not to participate in "link schemes."

And here is the shocker:

Source: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66356

You wanted proof, so there you go.

You keep talking about "big name Websites" and their backlinks. Well, those sites have been Online for quite a few years, have a great degree of trust, and have plenty of related links pointing to specific stories. With the trust these sites have, and the recognition they have in the offline world, Google is not going to critique 100 backlinks out of 8 million (CNN.com Alexa ranked 54 in the World). If you want a better comparison, take a look at sites that have been penalized. Their backlink profiles tend to have links coming in from anything and everything.

Speaking as one that has "been there and done that," I can tell you with 100% certainty that relevant backlinks do a heck of a lot more for SEO and PR then unrelated links. If your goal is to improve your ranks, then the only way to go is relevant backlinks.

I hope that I have addressed your concerns Angela. I do use a lot of words like "assume," "tend to believe," etc. But in SEO, few things are certain. What is working today may not work tomorrow. That's why our efforts should be for the long term, and having relevant backlinks protects us for the long run. Otherwise we may wake up one day to find we went from page 1 to page 10. :)

snowbird, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    Cbrooker and Jim4767 like this.
  2. Cbrooker

Cbrooker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great post snowbird, you beat me to it. I was compiling almost this exact post in notepad and getting ready to cut and paste! Rep given!!!

Cbrooker, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  3. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. In that same section, Google says that the quality of the links counts, too...just like the relevance. In fact, here is sentence number 2 quoted verbatim:

So if you get a mixture of relevant links and high quality, High PR links from authority sites, that is the best way to go, don't you think? That's what I stated earlier that I believed to be true: both techniques count toward your rating. :)

I could take your same quote from Google and bold the other word, quality (which actually comes BEFORE the word "relevance"):

and use it to show that I am not spreading "misinformation".

Many of the sites that were penalized were, unfortunately, selling link space on their websites.

AngelaE8654, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    One gauge, albeit not very accurate, is to use the related:domain.com query at Google. It will give you a little insight on how that search engine sees you.

Actually did this for one site once and remember seeing a lot of guestbook pages in the results.

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  5. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The trick is to get high quality (aka high PR) backlinks from relevant sites. I've moved single pages 200+ positions with one backlink from authoritative sites in related niches.

To Google, quality is PR. As I noted previously, unrelated backlinks will not pass as much SEO benefit/PR juice as a relevant backlink will. I'd take a PR 0 relevant backlink over an unrelated PR 5 backlink any day of the week. Well, maybe not. It sure would be nice to get some exposure from CNN or other media outlet with no other outbounds on its page. :)

The point I'm making is that a spammy backlink profile can result in a site's demise. Especially in competitive niches, where top ranks bring in big bucks, having spammy links in ones backlink profile is not a good thing.

snowbird, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  6. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    look Angela, in the nicest possible way, because your backlink checker gets it wrong and shows your link page PR as the domain PR does not mean you're getting PR6 and 7 links all over the place.

if it did, as others have said, your own site would be more than 3. it has nothing to do with your content or when it was last updated.

PR = backlinks

SEOibiza, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  7. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    Im curious about the (my)bolding, where did you get that information from?

as for relevancy, am on the fence with this one. Angela may just have a point. personally I think it far more important how many other links leave that PR6 page that how "relevant" it was.

evidence of low powered links ranking things well due to relevance would be welcome at this point if anyone has any?

SEOibiza, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  8. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    Thank you. :)

However, I have seen a tremendous amount written about "fresh content" and the like. And I have yet to see evidence that what the backlink checkers ("Domain Pop" gives similar results) are telling us is faulty information.

What I've seen is people saying that "inner pages won't give you a high PR backlink". I have yet to see anyone show hard evidence that this is actually the case. If this is really the case then the thousands of article writers who are putting their articles on Ezinearticles just for the backlink are in for an unpleasant surprise, as the "inner page" on which their articles are stored is almost always 0 PR or N/A.

Even in forums and the like; the place your "signature file" is being left is an inner page. It's very seldom that you are able to leave your link right on the index page of a High PR website. Those are few and far between.

Bloggers who post links in their blog bodies have the link on the front page only for a short time, until they have refreshed their content a number of times and that link makes its way into an "inner page".

AngelaE8654, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  9. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    What you have to understand is that there a number of factors in play here. Google is always perfecting the formula too.

When they analyze a link, they take into account where the link is in context to the rest of the page, keyword density of the page, keyword text of the link, the page the link is pointing at, how that page relates to context of the page it is coming from, and so on. All of these fine points analysis is mind boggling, bordering on artificial intelligence.

I can look at any given webpage and tell right off what is a paid link, an affiliate link, or a link that is relevant to the content of the page. It is not a far stretch of the imagination, with minor glitches, that Google can do this without human intervention. That is how good their link analysis is.

But it goes beyond that. It is not all about links, the PR of the page it is coming from, or the PR of the page it is going to. It is what is "relevant" to the users search terms.

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  10. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Again with the backlink checking. Can you for a couple of minutes, put that out of your mind.

All search engines like fresh content. Google has what was named, The Freshbot, which crawls the web on a continuous basis and is responsible for finding content that is updated frequently such as news sites, forums, blogs and other websites. It appears that when Google finds a new page it checks it frequently at first to see if there are regular updates. If there are, the site is added to the list of pages to be visited by the Freshbot.

It is rumored, with pretty good analysis to back up the claim, that Freshbot results are kept in a seperate database than the main index. The Freshbot and main index are merged to produce search results. This means that fresh content may appear in search results very quickly but then disappear only to resurface one or two months later in the main Google index. If the page is already in the main index the Freshbot results may appear for a few days before reverting to the older version until the site is crawled by the Deepbot.

See remarks above.

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  11. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Relevancy is key.

Look up Eric Ward and JB http://www.jimboykin.com/site-backlinks/ (50 backlinks beats out a site with 1000).
    I did this to a site a few years ago.

Sites like Microsoft, Apple and the like get their PR from having high profile links worldwide, press releases (int'l and domestic) for new products, wall street, authoritative educational links, govt., law schools, etc..
    those piddly-anny links from small sites don't help them much.

Seriously. C'mon. Throw most of those mom & pop sites out and they still rank high due to relevant sites and authoritative sites. Although, you may argue that the search term or backlink "click here" confirms your theory.

Well, I'd bet if you take out click here that site will still rank extremely high. I am firmly in the relevancy camp

Lukas, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  12. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    OMG. I forgot about this guy!

I love his Link Monkey rant:

Sound familiar?

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  13. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    yea I read that ages ago, and it seems to make sense and we've done exactly this with a couple of small niche sites of our own a while back.

I think G do weight relevant links, but you can also rank sites with powerful but not-so relevant links. by powerful I mean good pagerank, low links off page, and good anchor text.

when you get this right relevancy takes a big back seat.

SEOibiza, Aug 24, 2008 IP
  14. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    All that may be true Ibiza, but I will bet that your smaller niche sites will fair better in the long-run as Google continues to improve its link analysis. Also, some of the resources you suggest (high ranking pages, low OB links) are not available to the normal Joe without having to find somebody (for a lot of cash) to implement it. And you know how hard it is to find one of those individuals.

Dodger, Aug 24, 2008 IP
  15. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That might work to some degree for non competitive niches where there is little money to be had and smaller players. Try doing that in a competitive niche, where your competitors are crawling through you backlinks looking for any way to knock you off that first page. Those irrelevant links will stick out like a sore thumb, and give the competition something to report to Google (paid links, link spam, link designed to manipulate PR, etc.). Google has made it clear they don't like link schemes designed to manipulate ranks. However, if you blend the link within the page, and make it look natural, you may get away with it. I would not risk a client's site for the link, but to each their own. Just think from the perspective of a Google employee and let your conscience guide you. :)

snowbird, Aug 24, 2008 IP
  16. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    I agree, Snowbird, and webmasters do need to be very careful. If the linking is done incorrectly then, like you say, it can actually be harmful to their sites.

However, there are natural ways to get your link on many High PR sites. If you've got a link in a profile on a site on which you've registered to and are participating in the site the way it's designed, "reporting" you to Google won't do anything. Why would Google penalize someone for having a profile on a High PR site and participating in the interactive community there?

The High PR sites that I find often have this capability; they WANT people to "register" and they have an interactive component in which many people can participate. These are a lot safer than weird links left for no apparent reason, like you've pointed out. :)

AngelaE8654, Aug 24, 2008 IP
  17. Kyliemeg

Kyliemeg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I signed up for the email!

Kyliemeg, Aug 24, 2008 IP
  18. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I'll bet you'll be pretty happy with the information. :)

19. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    This blog, which was being discussed in another forum, has this to say about High Page Rank links:

So I am not the only one who thinks these are good for your site. :)

20. muncle

muncle Guest

Best Answers:
    Angela, if what you're saying was truth, then my PR2 blog would have to be PR 6 already, from few dofollow comments of a blog with PR6 main page. You are offering heavy misinformation when you claim that people get PR6 backlinks if their link is on a PR0 page of a site with PR6 main page. That's a blatant bullcrap. Google ranks individual pages, not websites. If it ranked whole website, then each page of your site would have the same PR no matter what. Sure it weights more to have a PR0 backlink from an authority site than a PR0 backlink from a non authority site, but it's still a PR0 backlink. If myspace has PR9, it's because of millions of backlinks that add up to pushing its rank so high. Google takes PR of pages that link to your site and calculates your PR based on that.

Trust me, you'd see the difference if PR6 site linked you from its PR6 page, rather then a sub page that's PR0. In the former, your SERP would significantly improve overnight and your PR would change to PR4 or PR5 with next update. In the latter, your SERP would change only a slight little bit and your PR would not be affected (unless way more pages link to you).

muncle, Aug 24, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.