1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Tricks" to get High PR backlinks

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by DinoCagney, Aug 21, 2008.

1. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. :) Did you find the instructions easy to follow?

AngelaE8654, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  2. Whane

Whane Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not getting the zoominfo tip. Do you mean to suggest that this non-static page found at:

http://www.zoominfo.com/MyAccount/ProfessionalSummary.aspx
    Code (markup):
    Is giving you PR6 juice?

Whane, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  3. jophan

jophan Active Member

Best Answers:
    the list of your backlinks you showed us just tells us from which domain
    your link is coming from but not that it is exactly on that page.
    correct me if I am worng, I am always open to learn something new.

jophan, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Not once did I say the link would not do you any good. I was debating the quality of the link. Snowbird, earlier, pointed out how important relevancy plays a part in linking as well.

As a verifiable example, I do not go out and actively get my link onto hundreds of sites in the manner that you describe. It is not worth my time. Now run a check between my site (sig below) and yours.

You have thousands upon thousands more links than I do -- correct? Then why is it that we have the same PR? There is something amiss here, and your methods are clearly not cutting the mustard.

And yes, I know you have not updated your site. But neither have I. They are on equal footing as far as that goes. But you are still pursuing links and I am not.

I will make a bet with you. I can ramp my site up to a PR5 within 6 months, and you use your method to do the same. Or who ever gets there first, wins.

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  5. nastynappy

nastynappy Banned

Best Answers:
    hmm.. but .. the profile pages cant be PR6 .. can they ?? :s , I mean, DP is PR6 too.. but its profile pages are like PR2 - PR3 ( not all profiles ofcourse )
    so.. can anyone confirm this ?

nastynappy, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  6. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As was pointed out by a previous poster, here's Google's take on Pagerank:

That being said, Google considers more then 500 million variables in its Pagerank calculations. Out of 500 million variables, it is safe to assume relevancy is one of those varaibles. :) Now I am not saying that an irrelevant backlink will not pass PR. It may, but at a much lower percentage.

Search engines are in the business of delivering *relevant* results. And since Google places so much importance on backlinks, it is very likely that our backlinks are scored on a relevancy scale. If our backlinks were not scored in such a way, then it would be extremely easy for anyone to climb to the top of the serps with loads of irrelevant backlinks. Can people do it with irrelevant backlinks? Sure. Blackhats are known for getting loads of unrelated links combined with the hijacking of an authority Website. But Google eventually catches on and slaps those sites/pages silly. Now try getting loads of irrelevant links and pointing them to a site that is not already authoritative. The results will be much different.

Having high PR is great, but PR is assigned on a keyword to page basis. PR 7 pages that dominate some search terms will not automatically dominate with the other keywords on their page(s). The reason is not just the keyword density on their page, but the relevancy of the backlinks they have. So even though that page may have a PR 7 for a specific keyword, other keywords may be ranked at PR 0. What we see in the toolbar is a very general gauge of each page's health, not a specific PR calculation for each keyword that may appear on the page.

Relevant backlinks work wonders for SEO and even PR. A relevant backlink may pass 100% of the available link juice, whereas an irrelevant link may pass 1%. That's why getting backlinks on relevant pages is so important to those that want to improve their ranks and traffic. People selling PR could care less.

Relevant backlinks come from pages that rank for your chosen keywords. Relevant backlinks can also come from niches closely associated with our keywords. As a general rule of thumb, if the keywords you want to rank for appear in the domain/URL, page title, H tags, and in the body text, it is a highly relevant backlink.

Search engines are always trying to improve the results they provide. Relevant backlinks will stand the test of time and minimize the possibility of an entire backlink profile being discounted.

snowbird, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry for pulling this one sentence out of the context of your post, but that is how debates of this type get started. It is fixed into people's minds that this is the goal to achieve and more backlinks will get them there.

I guess this is one of today's versions of snake oil.

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  8. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR has its place, but relevancy tops the importance of backlinks. Getting a backlink from an unrelated PR 5 page with none of my keywords on it is not a powerful backlink. Now if a PR 5 page has my keywords in its domain/url, title, h tags, body text, and an outbound link or two, then that is a winner in my book.

snowbird, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    Dodger likes this.
  9. tunedtv

tunedtv Peon

Best Answers:
    tunedtv, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  10. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I would just like to say that you have made an impressive start on your blog! Very well written, with that 'quick read' approach. Nicely done.

I also like your forum concept on link building. Sounds like a very worthwhile project. When are you expecting to get that off the ground?

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  11. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    Snowbird has some great posts. That poster is quite bright. However, their posts still are saying things like "it's safe to assume" and "in my book" when talking about the importance of relevancy in the links. Not once...not one time...have they shown actual evidence that relevancy is the most important part of link building.

This "relevancy" facet is a personal opinion; nothing more. I told you at least four times that I have looked into the backlinks of BIG NAME websites. Websites that carry Page Rank 8, 9, and 10. Only a very small percentage of some of the sites' backlinks can be considered "relevant" in the way Snowbird is showing!! MOST, if not ALL, of them are not! A very large portion of the links to big name websites come from other sites and personal blogs that are NOT the same type as the big name website! I know this based on actual TESTING of big name websites. The "relevancy" factor is merely an opinion.

12. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    So I take it you do not want to take part in a little contest?

Dodger, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  13. SEO_Matey

SEO_Matey Banned

Best Answers:
    Best sure shot ways to get high PR backlinks would be to post on high PR blogs and get paid featured links on high PR directories...

SEO_Matey, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  14. Cbrooker

Cbrooker Active Member

Best Answers:

The relevancy factor is merely an opinion? Really?

As for the so-called 'big name' sites, they get many links from irrelevant sites, but there is power in the numbers. They do add some value, just not as much as if they come from "relevant" sites. Plus, many of the so-called 'big names' online are also 'big names' in their niches and in the markets they occupy which equates pretty good to being an authority in that area.

Here's an experiment for you ... take a new site, get a link from the PR10 Adobe site in your signature, have that as the only link, and see what the PR will be after an update. See what the traffic levels are on that single site.

For anyone chasing true PR numbers, it's like a dog chasing it's tail. Has very little value to bring true "RELEVANT" traffic to the site that converts into paying visitors.

Cbrooker, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  15. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    And yet~so many people are asking me to prove that High PR backlinks are valuable, but no one is offering any type of evidence at all for the "relevancy" issue.

16. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    In case any of the readers were wondering, my opinion is that both are valuable. Relevant links AND High PR backlinks. I suspect that a good mixture of both will help your site tremendously in the search engines. Don't give up your backlink efforts, but don't turn down backlinks from sites with great Page Rank, either, just because 'somebody' told you they "might not be valuable".

17. Cbrooker

Cbrooker Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to Matt Cutts at the San Jose SES Conference sometime around 2004 / 2005 I believe, he indicated that Google values relevant in-bound links. In relation to Google, link relevancy has to do with the subject matter of the sites sending and receiving the links. If the site linking to yours shares similar "interests," then Google will place more value on the link when it comes to ranking.

Judge for yourself if you want to believe Matt Cutts or not.

Cbrooker, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  18. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts "indicated" that Google values relevant in-bound links? No link to his actual words?

Like I said, I'm sure relevant links are great. However, High PR links are also good. This is what I have found while researching the biggest name authority sites. They have some of both kind, but most have a very large percentage of "irrelevant" links that carry great Page Rank. Put a big name website like MySpace into a 'backlink checker tool' and see for yourself.

Don't reinvent the wheel in the case of backlinks. See what's given others great success and do the same. :)

19. muncle

muncle Guest

Best Answers:
    Lots of hard core misinformation provided by AngelaE8654 in this thread...

muncle, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  20. AngelaE8654

Best Answers:
    And yet~no one has offered evidence that what they are saying is true and what I am saying is "misinformation". Analyze a big name website's backlinks for yourself and see what I mean.