1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I think google has a new Algo

Discussion in 'SEO' started by leswoody, Aug 17, 2008.

1. prodigenius

prodigenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Does Google really tweak that often? I mean, that average boils down to 1-2 per DAY. That's outrageous.

prodigenius, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site that is #5 for its keyword in Google one day, completely gone the next, back the next time I search, gone another time, back again, and so on. This has been going on well over a month, possibly two.

It's never gone for long. Google's Webmaster Tools continues to report the keyword as one of the most frequent keyword search terms for hits to my site every week, so people are seeing it on a regular basis, but I would really like to know what is going on.

Business Attorney, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  3. DomainMagia

DomainMagia Peon

Best Answers:
    DomainMagia, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  4. The Stealthy One

The Stealthy One Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think you are probably quite right in your observation. I have seen many of my own sites definitely come higher in the SERPs. I am getting a lot more traffic over the past few weeks from Google than I was before.

The Stealthy One, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  5. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    They are always jumping around.. some times its for the better... other times its not.. oh well.

desilator, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  6. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems they've just inserted some new "rules", and those new rules are driving alot of people crazy. Me included by the way...

scubita, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  7. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, this has hit me too. Rather hard....

Chinchilla, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  8. metromark

metromark Guest

Best Answers:
    Are you confusing "new algo" with "algo update"?

There's nothing happening that tells me there's some major shift in what's being calculated.

Mark Madson
    Metro Hi Speed.com

metromark, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  9. Vengence

Vengence Peon

Best Answers:
    I Hope So :S

Vengence, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  10. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Ok the reason this happens, is when Google does a larger algo adjustment they don't just 'do it' and be done with it.

What they do is update the servers in one datacenter with the new algo, then they switch this DC in and out of rotation as the primary results when querying Google.com

This enables them to gather data about the changes and if the changes are good or bad, then they will pull the new DC back out of rotation and make changes then switch it back in.

The new algo changes may effect some sites dramatically, that's why some people see their site bouncing from front page to nowhere then back again from day to day or hour to hour.

Hope this explains it.

sweetfunny, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  11. xentech

xentech Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is changing and updating it's algo all the time, they develop it not change it. Google wouldn't just change it completely instantly, what you have been experiencing has been common in Google SERPS for years...

xentech, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  12. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you explained it well sweetfunny, nothing new - it's what they do "since ever". The affected site owners note it, all the others see nothing.

Two of my client's sites are affected - the rest stays stable; my conclusion by passed experiences - until now I never saw it last longer than 4 weeks, so it should be due to come to an end soon.

monfis, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  13. jasonb25

jasonb25 Member

Best Answers:
    My site had a positive effect in the last 5 days with the serps. I am still trying to understand all this. Will the sites that had a positive effect return to where they were previously to this latest update ?

jasonb25, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  14. googlefrog

googlefrog Peon

Best Answers:
    Its been poor since about April when I noticed huge swings. One minute page 4 one week later page 78! My traffic graphs look like the worlds tallest coaster :), also it's not working correctly as it should imo.

googlefrog, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  15. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not something new. Their algo has always been changing all these while so that only those websites which are really good can stay on top.

lycos, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  16. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't seen any changes in my site's SERPs in the past few weeks. Anyway, may be google has changed their algo but Not sure if its a algo change or just SERPs changes that happens all the time.

angilina, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  17. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I think google is constantly tweaking their algorithm but I do not think they have
    made any major changes.

kingofsanda, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  18. yonghoshin

yonghoshin Peon

Best Answers:
    Whew, good to know I'm not alone. My visits from search engines went from 46 to 2 in five days. (Not that severe of a jump, considering my website is not even 2 months old)

yonghoshin, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  19. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    is this true that goole will tell you in webmaster tools? even a small penalty they will tel you?

google has screwed up the serps recently, I agree, they should go back to the way they had it before

canam, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  20. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd like to think it did in June. Read up on some popular SEO forums/SEO blogs.

As for something up... in the last week there have been (2) "updates" that seem to have contradicted each other. Can't really explain it since I don't exactly understand it 100% yet, but I just decided to let things roll on their own today. One change today does something different tomorrow and makes what was changed completely irrelevant.

Fka200, Aug 18, 2008 IP