1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Image ads vs text ads - what is better in $ revenue

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by hans, Sep 8, 2004.

Image ads vs text ads - what is better in $ revenue ?

Google adsense Text ads of course are several per ad depending on size giving several opportunities to click on an ad - for image ads as far as i have seen only one image ad per ad unit.

has anyone already made sufficient experience with Google image ads to have a comparison between the two types of ads. is it worth to display image ads on all adsense pages or only on particular topics ?

so far i see few image ads on my pages - too few to have any experience to decide - on other sites - like Shawns forum - image ads appear quiet often, sometimes only images.

hans, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  2. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    "so far i see few image ads on my pages - too few to have any experience to decide - on other sites - like Shawns forum - image ads appear quiet often, sometimes only images."

Put as much content as possible on each page and use some broad terms and you will start seeing a higher frequency of image ads - at least that has been my experience.
    Although I really can't compare the success of image/text ads. I guess it depends somewhat on your target audience as well. Kids and teens are more likely to click on image ads that adults - that's just basic phychology.

david_sakh, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  3. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Image ads come and go, so I cannot say if they are good for $

I have started running image ads for one of my sites and have found that although it seems they are served as a second choice they cost you top dollar and were as your maximum rate is vary rarely met in my field it charged full whack on an image ads

Fishing Forum, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course i made a substantial mistake myself ...

when i singed up for Google Adsense there where no picture ads available yet.
    i set up my Adsense according to my own liking or page layout.

when later G announced the picture ads - i opted for it
    without taking ( having ) the time to see the details.
    recently only i studied their formats and saw that only the below 4 formats are compatible for picture ads - all others are text only.

- Leaderboard (728 x 90)
    - Banner (468 x 60)
    - Skyscraper (120x600)
    - Medium Rectangle (300 x 250)

hence if you want to give picture Adsense a chance you need to make sure your ads have one of above formats.
    from the logical point of view of course it makes sense that a pic ad taking the space of 2 or 4 text ads most likely also is more expensive by at least a comparable factor..
    since my changes or ongoing, the coming weeks and months may show the difference in payout.

i guess Shawn has a GOOD reason to have a particular format showing up more frequently than others ;)

hans, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  5. dhruv

dhruv Peon

Best Answers:
    I think image ads make you more per click

dhruv, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  6. mussolinihitler

mussolinihitler Peon

Best Answers:
    i personally feel text ads are much better than image ads. This is because text ads are more relevant to the content of your website thereby increasing your CTR highly. It gives the visitors and impression that it is a part of the website itself. Though image ads might look good, most users will probably look at it rather than click on it !!

mussolinihitler, May 7, 2006 IP
  7. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, there is no comprehensive answer to this question. The Adsense system will show the ads that have the highest possibility of earning you the most amount of revenue. If you have image ads enabled, it means that you have more ads competing for that ad spot, hence (theoratically) you will be paid more for that spot.

The problem comes with CTR and CPM ads. Image ads tend to have a lower CTR (not in all cases, but in general)... that means that if the image ad displayed in PPC then you might lose out if the person doesn't click. However if the image ad is displayed on a CPM basis, that means that you might earn more regardless if the visitor clicks on the ad.

Crusader, May 7, 2006 IP
  8. largn81

largn81 Peon

Best Answers:
    image ads are more difficult to set up for bloggers, however with blogs like blogger text ads can be inserted in no time and each unit has 3 to 5 ads this increases the CTR which makes text ads the best choice.

largn81, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  9. emphi

emphi Peon

Best Answers:
    From my personal experience with image ads, they tend to be dull and not as relevant to the sites theme as text ads. I am rather tired of all the lame online game picture ads that seems to show up on almost every site no matter what topic the site is about.

I use the "only text ads" option on about 3/4 of all my ads.

emphi, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  10. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    he has image ads showing up more frequently because they pay less :rolleyes: forums are not a good way to monitize traffic, so they get crap ads, typically cpm.

as mentioned above, image ads(aka cpm on many occasions) are also way off-topic... i've seen adsense fart button ads on many occasions.

if you have that crap showing up on your site, it means that your traffic is not good... adsense text ads the cream of the crop.

danimal, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  11. digital1

digital1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've found that text ads pay more, in my experience. However, to my understanding, Google will display the highest paying ads anyway, regardless of whether they are image or text ads. It's possible that I've just been more lucky with text ads, though.

digital1, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  12. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll agree here. If I had one choice it would be test ads that are well integrated into the ad.

reapr, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  13. khateya

khateya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would choose, img ads on my gadget site while content ads on my biz.

khateya, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  14. tradedemon

tradedemon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it all depends on the type of site you have, I personally have done very well with image ads on some of my sites......

tradedemon, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  15. bestofmoney.info

bestofmoney.info Peon

Best Answers:
    Text ads is generally better.

bestofmoney.info, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  16. creditstore1

creditstore1 Peon

Best Answers:
    image ads will make you less money

creditstore1, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  17. vip_vyo

vip_vyo Banned

Best Answers:
    On my website i earn more for textads...Images ads are not so good ...

vip_vyo, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  18. ColinPL

ColinPL Peon

Best Answers:
    On my websites text ads are better than image ads.

ColinPL, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  19. D22314

D22314 Peon

Best Answers:
    i prefer text ads, but image ads work well too.

D22314, May 17, 2009 IP
  20. realfreeware

realfreeware Guest

Best Answers:
    I think, image ads will give more revenue better than text ads (per click) with same size and same place

realfreeware, Dec 5, 2009 IP