1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Client Stealing Website

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Shawon, Aug 4, 2008.

I recently did a website design and coded it for a client, client sent me an upfront payment, about 40% of the total and then once I finished the website, I get no response from the client from MSN or email at all.

I'm not sure if the client's just been busy or away or is choosing to ignore me and steal this design without giving me the rest of what he owes me, I don't want to disclose the client's info and site yet, because I want to be sure. Because I don't want to think of him as thief because he runs a bunch of sites and this one I did was a pretty popular one with a lot of traffic too.

But is there any thing I can do to get the site taken down or get the rest of my money through a PayPal claim or something?

I design and coded the site for him and had a copy of the coded version hosted on my portfolio, then I check his site today just to see and he has the new version that I made put up, so he just basically copy pasted my coding and saved all the images off the subdirectory.

He definitely doesn't have the PSD and source files though because I never sent them to him, so I can also use this as proof.

So just wondering what are my options to get the rest of the money, thanks for any help.

Shawon, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  2. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep trying to get a hold of him.. If he is using any files from your server alter them... other then that I dont think you can really do much.. unless you want to take up legal action.

desilator, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  3. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it helps I have saved emails and MSN chat logs. And yea is there anything I can do with PayPal? Or contact his host asking to close his site down until he pays me or something?

Shawon, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  4. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal wont do anything.. they are just a middle man. Try contacting his host and proving as much detailed information as possible. Chat logs.. screen shots. I can say they will do anything but it wont hurt to try.

5. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also see on a few other posts here about a DMCA letter, could I send that to his host and show them that he's using my code and graphics and w/e, or will I not have copyright over those?

Shawon, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  6. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not familiar with that letter so I cannot provide any information sorry. Perhaps someone with experience with it can offer some information or you can try and Google it.

7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should get approval from the client before putting the site on your portfolio and in any case make sure that they paid you beforehand :D

bogart, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  8. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well the client paid me 40% upfront and then I had the site just hosted in my server to show the client the coding and progress and everything, but only he knew the link to it so it wasn't public on my portfolio, just hosted in a subdirectory.

Shawon, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  9. gingimaster

gingimaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can always find where he lives, go over there with a couple of "friends" and teach him some manners ;)

gingimaster, Aug 5, 2008 IP
    windtalker likes this.
  10. DeenaEsq

DeenaEsq Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you should still have copyright to your graphics, etc. if you've not been paid. You can look up what DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) takedown notice provision their host has. Sometimes they have a form on their website, but if you Google "takedown notice", you should find a bunch of them...

D

DeenaEsq, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  11. Headshot0123

Headshot0123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just keep trying to contact him. If he doesn't get back to you in a few weeks send him the bill for the rest in the mail. If you don't here from him after that you can contact the host of the website and ask them to take it down.

Headshot0123, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  12. hustlenomics

hustlenomics Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you deal with him here? LOL. I hear alot of stories about shady people on this forum. Not to say he actually stole your design.

hustlenomics, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  13. jdownloads

jdownloads Active Member

Best Answers:
    First off, Is he using pictures that you are hosting? Or did he just copy them and upload them to his server?

jdownloads, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  14. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea he's from DP, http://forums.digitalpoint.com/member.php?u=34782.

He's got good iTrader ratings and all so I'm not sure what to think of this right now.

And no he's not hotlinking the images off my server if that's what you mean, he just saved them and hosted them on his own server.

Shawon, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  15. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well he just got back to me today, he said he'd been very busy and away from his computer past week because his father passed away, so I guess that was the reason. He said he'd get back to me on Saturday after the funeral, so I think it's sorted out, thanks for everyone's help anyway.

But yea I believe him because he does run some big websites and he's got good iTrader rating as well.

Shawon, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  16. MyWebsHost

MyWebsHost Peon

Best Answers:
    So everything is ok after all
    you were going to make a problem from no problem

MyWebsHost, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  17. windtalker

windtalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well his client did not pay him the other half yet...

windtalker, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  18. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm truly sorry to hear you were scammed but if my 2 cents serve for something let me tell you that people who prefer stay in touch via MSN are usually there to either steal your time or steal your ideas.

I'm not talking in general terms because there are honest and serious clients that prefer this method for closer collaboration, but the only way to determine this is offer paid support/feedback/attention via MSN to determine how engaged is him with a project.

This is a common practice in Europe where phone and IM personal attention is charged at a given per minute or session fee.

Michelle Michan, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  19. Littile John

Littile John Peon

Best Answers:
    l only use email or a real letter sent by a postman the old way is best as you have his name address and should have his phone number as well, pref a landline

Littile John, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  20. Flobba-dob-dob

Flobba-dob-dob Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I would've only given half of the website for 50% of the money, that way I'll get all the money because the client would have to pay me to get the rest of the website. Clever idea, eh?

By the way, aren't there any laws on this? I mean, this is theft in a way...

Flobba-dob-dob, Aug 6, 2008 IP