1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cloud computing - Am I missing the point?

Discussion in 'Cluster Computing' started by pondlife, Jul 30, 2008.

I've never been one to spot great advancements in technology but I really don't understand the benefits of 'cloud computing'. Surely we've done this all before when we worked at dumb terminals and all the software was based on big fat servers?

Can anyone explain this concept to me?

The reason I ask is that I've just read the following article on the BBC that says HP, Intel and Yahoo are getting together to build a huge 'cloud computing' experiment: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7531352.stm

Cheers, p.

pondlife, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  2. TTLGY

TTLGY Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the main point of it would be that you or me could be using enormous infrastructures to support our web applications, without caring how the backend is working - just let them worry about it.

TTLGY, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  3. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    That's if our web applications are built out of 'cloud' application components right?

I mean all I've seen of 'cloud computing' so far is Google's office applications - you use their remote applications to create output rather than using the applications based on your own machine. This takes away the need for sophisticated laptops and destops and that you can still be productive?

4. TTLGY

TTLGY Member

Best Answers:
    Cloud Computing is usually backend mainframes that you can use to cater around your business, without worrying about the technical knowledge required to scale large applications.

Have a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

TTLGY, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  5. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah great stuff - I should've wiki'd it! :)

6. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just one to add - Have a read of http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2008/04/animoto---scali.html

Animoto is an online Video service to create Videos from Images etc.
    They use Amazon Cloud Services and can scale behind the scenes. So basically Virtual Servers can be deployed as they need them. If the demand rises , they arent just stuck with a server that will crash , the Amazon combination of services helps them meet that demand..

BTW - I use Amazon S3 for Backup and have dabbled in EC2 but am not affiliated with them etc...

Tom Thumb, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:

It's also used for the Google Chromebook, although based on sales, it doesn't look like that has been much of a success. I guess because most consumers consider it still to be too expensive for essentially getting a dumb terminal like you put it.

dcristo, Feb 6, 2013 IP