1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

JohnChow.com demoted to PR3 - Shoemoney.com up to PR6

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bryce, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems that people are already working on gaming to the system.

JeremiaSK8, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  2. bposervices

bposervices Banned

Best Answers:
    its really useful and new stuff.. thanks for sharing

bposervices, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  3. ColorWP.com

ColorWP.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google has no reason to derank text-link-ads, because they do not sell links on the site itself, they provide a service for buying/selling links.

As for JohnChow - lol, I have crappy one page sites that have higher PR than his blog! :)

ColorWP.com, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  4. gusher

gusher Banned

Best Answers:
    you have a point there, but only Google can answer this, :D

gusher, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  5. supercops

supercops Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of sites are promoted and a lot demoted......it depends how google see a particular site..we can still not understand its algo

supercops, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  6. -Ehsan-

-Ehsan- Peon

Best Answers:
    I know Google is or maybe biased but JohnChow sucks too !

-Ehsan-, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  7. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    enuff said. :D However I must note that Shoemoney (one back in 2005/2006) was a quality blogger. Now i visit his blog once in a while to check out those hot babes :D lol.

godmode, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  8. vexx

vexx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well...first of all...PR has nothing to do with quality nor SERPs. Secondly, the 11k difference between the 2 blogs, may be PR 0 links, you don't know that. Also, Mr Chow is selling links and reviews, he prolly draw another G PR penalty. And about TC, if you were Mr Arrington and you make a site, don't you use your primary site to promote it? I guess you are..and the nofollow links, linke many other blogs, just protects the site from spammers and irrelevant 1 line get the link posts.

vexx, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  9. leet

leet Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good job Google. You get what you deserve and John Chow got what he deserved. You are comparing Jeremy and John? John is just an internet marketer making thousands off the noob's backs. His products are CRAP. Jeremy is a succesful affiliate marketer and a lot better than John in knowledge-wise.

leet, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  10. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Johnchow.com is down to PR3? I didn't knew that. Thanks for the info.

So it means that PR do not depend only on the number of backlinks as if it was, then johnchow.com would have PR6 or more.

angilina, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    Bryce likes this.
  11. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    • You don't know how many links Google acknowledges for either site
    • You don't know how much PR is passed by each link
    • PR is NOT the same as 'authority'
    • Maybe John Chow got penalised for selling links and Shoemoney didn't

I don't know what all the fuss is about :confused:

hooperman, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  12. sudeesh009

sudeesh009 Banned

Best Answers:
    thank you for this information..

sudeesh009, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  13. pointguard

pointguard Peon

Best Answers:
    A directly related discussion is found in Google Crackdown Part II, JohnChow com Freefall Begins
    by Jim Kukral, May 31, 2007.

Good empirical arguments can be made to support the greater PR of shoemoney.
    Looking at its homepage it has an unusually large number of deep, well-commented links to
    relevant internal content. And comparably few(er) ads, i.e. leakage.

The proportionally greater number of ads in johnchow plus its flatter
    information architecture relative to shoemoney may be two factors that speak for
    higher relevance in the latter. Quantity/quality of links in may be just one variable
    among many in determining PR.

pointguard, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  14. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    I was hoping anybody who is tired of the biased treatment Google gives to "the big guys" while raining on the small, independent publishers would spread this discussion around and modify it with their experience. The point is to let people know that pagerank and Google is an archaic system that needs to get the boot.

Bryce, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  15. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I read you post. What are you trying to say?

bogart, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  16. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    This current PR update stats that Google didn't have any algorithm to give the PR's...
    GPR is waste and useless. I'm very unsatisfied with the current update... :(

tendulkar2, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  17. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Knol will never beat Wikipedia because of the Adsense ads on it pages. People will create articles with copy pasted content just to make some bucks on Knol = the content will be a shitty, rehashed content = not many people will link to it. So I agree with you, that Knol is a total abortion.

JeremiaSK8, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  18. bacardirum

bacardirum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah but its all about the quality of the backlinks isnt it, you could have 105,000 links that were pretty much worthless, I could have 254 that were really relevant back links, you have no authority over me.

bacardirum, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  19. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Wake up man. Shoemoney is just as much of a whore as John Chow. Both are megalomaniacs - read the Webster's definition :

Anybody who posts his Adsense check, posts pictures of his pool with his blog logo on the bottom, pictures of him with golddiggers etc is a dyed-in-the-wool megalomaniac and bloated on hubris.

Before you try to say I'm just jealous or "not as rich" as shoe...

FYI, My financial picture is 100% solid, zero debt. I might have two houses (both bigger than shoe's little hovel), three vacation condos, five cars, a big boat and a collection of guitars that would make Eric Clapton cream (mind you, everything is fully paid for, no credit card debt, mortgages, etc) but you don't see me posting about my personal posessions.

Why? because it's tacky and it's a cheap way to get poor impressionable readers to tune in to your blog thinking they are going to "get rich quick" - THE REAL TRUTH is that making a living and/or making a fortune requires dedication, hard work and persistence. Anybody who puts fairy tale vision in impressionable people's heads is setting them up for failure. This is why I dislike both shoemoney and john chow and say they are nothing but whores. I actually care about my readers and genuinely try to help them make the right decisions regarding their financial futures. I don't need to exploit them so I can get custom inlays on the bottom of my pool because I already had all the material posessions before I started blogging.

Shoemoney (self-admittedly) couldn't hack a day job as a programmer (incedentally which is where I made my money - 13 stressful years at IBM) so he took the easy route, got fired for working on his sites on company time (no ethics whatsoever). He took a page from "MLM Marketing 101" - Flash people money, give them the impression they will find easy money by following him. Yes, you can "buy friends", Jeremy is living proof that most people's friendship can be bought with contest and prizes. hmm, a chicken in every pot.. sound familiar??

However, friends who are "bought" usually only stick around while the money is flowing. That's one given he overlooked. Which is probably why his Alexa traffic details look like this (and that bump at the end was due to Arrington pimping him over the Digg/Google deal)...

[​IMG]

So what I want to know is HOW or WHY shoemoney is considered more of an "authority" on his whoring and pimping than his best buddy John Chow? (although Arington has them both beat as the Ultimate Marketing Whore)...

:eek:

Bryce, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  20. selectsplat

selectsplat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems to be that you're proving what many of us have been saying all along. It's not about the quantity of backlinks, it's about the quality.

selectsplat, Jul 28, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.