1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Directory Script? eSyndiCat PRO or PhpLD 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Maksa, Jul 10, 2006.

?

Which one is the best Dir Script?

1. eSyndiCat PRO

78 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. PhpLD 3.0

180 vote(s)
    69.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And that, of course, is because you've tried them all? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly my point. Only people like you can compare the scripts as you've used them each for a good amount of time.

mikey1090, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  3. stevenh

stevenh Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread has gone all over the place. Nothing personal but it got way too personal.

Choosing the "Best" directory really depends on what you need from the script. If you want to really do a dedicated search engine style, PPC, site crawling, bells and whistles directory I'd point you to DSx/Hyperseek.

For quick content building reciprocal directories then PHPLD seems to be the ideal choice simply because of the pricing, features and the ability to purchase unlimited/unbranded versions. Having an integrated article directory is pretty nifty too. I find that paying for access to the support forums is a pretty funky way to bring the base price down... everyone wants support so just charge $10 more and include it. It looks better and feels more honest.

eSyndicat has a fairly impressive feature set but just as PHPLD does, it falls short on backend submissions and cms controls. The fact that both this and PHPLD both lack crawler/autofill is a let down. The usefulness of a built in crawler can't be overstated. Even free directory scripts such as ADP come with a crawler that will automate field fills, much in the way DSx does. With a generous multiple domain licensing structure this is also a good choice overall.

Lynx falls in between the DSx and the later two. They now offer both unencoded and coded versions of all flavors. The feature list is extensive and includes the ability to run both links and business style listings (yellow pages), support tickets, deep links and alternate categories and built in forums. The Con is paying for what you get and having no multiple domain license is a bit expensive if you run 4,5, or more directories.

IMHO, the perfect directory is still waiting to be invented. What one might excel in the others are weak and viceversa. To compare one to another is like asking "Do you prefer an apple you picked off a tree or an apple from Albertsons?", they are both just an apple.

If someone would write a directory with the DSx admin, crawler and keyword PPC, PHPLD's built in article feature and Lynx support ticket, deep links and multiple cat features and then for laughs throw in phplinkbid's link placement bid feature, we'd have a directory script worth talking about.

I'd love to find a directory script that had built in subscription levels for access and not just submissions. Has anyone seen an out of the box directory script do that?

cheers

stevenh, Jul 27, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  4. taylanaktepe

taylanaktepe Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used both. My favorite definitely php LD.

taylanaktepe, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  5. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    That's a great answer and I'll happily take onboard some of your ideas and see what the phpLynx developer team say to it. I personally have never looked at DSx before, but as you appear to hold it with relatively high regard - I will take a look at it tonight.

It wouldn't be right if I didn't throw in this piece of info - I'd like to make a mention of phpLynx multiple domain licensing - this is available at request from Jamie - special pricing is always an option if you go direct with him. Contact him via here.

You have valid points on all directory scripts mentioned - in particular phpLD - the lack of the feature you mention is quite a big let down with their script. However, I agree - it's perfect for using as a simple system to add links to/reciprocate links. I use it a lot for this purpose and nothing else - as I feel it's not particularly up to the job for anything bigger, maybe a personal opinion, but then again, maybe not.

Rep added.

Cheers

Spider-Man, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  6. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you happen to take a look at the plugins that eSyndiCat has?
    http://www.esyndicat.com/product/plugins.html

In regards to "domain licensing", eSyndiCat has 5 plans to choose from.

dog222, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  7. jaguarish

jaguarish Peon

Best Answers:
    eSyndiCat PRO can give you an easy PR 4 but I think PhpLD is better for results in SE. With a little customization is the best.
    "Link Management Assistant" is a big surprise for me too with good rankings.

jaguarish, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  8. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The code used on a website has nothing to do with the PR it will achieve. There are some exceptions, but using esyndicat won't give you PR4 easier than any other script....

mikey1090, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  9. jaguarish

jaguarish Peon

Best Answers:
    I was talking about default/most used templates. And PR has to do with menu, linking and content.
    Thats my opinion, you don't have to agree. Plus PR is not helping so much, so, who cares.

10. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    PR is all about the backlinks and nothing else - it's a very simple system which anyone can play to their liking - providing they don't do anything considered dangerous on their own site. Your PR will not change if you change your site template - no template helps better than any others. Content is also a no-no as you see numerous warez sites with strong PR's, so that rules content out. However - a good internal linking procedure will always help pass on PageRank through your site. Or at least that's the theoretical side of things. Finally, PR is all about the backlinks and outgoing links.

Spider-Man, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  11. ShaunJ

ShaunJ Peon

Best Answers:
    eSyndiCat for me is the best, iv got the pro one but i dont have any sites to use it on, when i did have a site with it i loved it, so many great features.

ShaunJ, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  12. jaguarish

jaguarish Peon

Best Answers:
    yea, right...thats why all the guru directories now have the PR 3 or less....because is all about the Backlinks and nothing more.

"no template helps better than any others" - I just simply laugh on this...
    I stop here this argue anyway; my vote goes for PhPLD...modified, of course...like I said already.

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The issue of phpLD aside, Spiderman is absolutely correct. Google ranking depends on many factors but PageRank depends solely on the quantity and quality of incoming links... nothing whatsoever to do with software or templates.

minstrel, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mt head is spinning, I got positive rep from a 2 year old post , RESULT or what :D

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  15. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    damn you double posting impatient fingers :D

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 4, 2008 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Who can blame you for being excited, OWG? Congratulations! :D

minstrel, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  17. kidiezone.com

kidiezone.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, while searching for a directory script I found this thread. So, thought let me too put in some points here.

I feel that its time to take the directories to the next level. It has to be integrated with business networking.

This is purely my opinion from just over a decades experience of net surfing.
    Today, we need more of niche directories. The purpose is simple. To provide most relevant information in simplest form. The information (websites) can already be found using google etc. but I would rather pick a pet shop from my local directory or through reference of a friend or where I can find and read about various pet shops available in my area. Remember Google is working actively on local listings.

So, in short, I think today a directory script has to concentrate more on business networking features rather than simply providing 4 lines of description text, a thumbnail and a link.

kidiezone.com, Aug 18, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  18. alexme

alexme Guest

Best Answers:
    OpenLD rules! I would take OpenLD over both of these scripts, I guess that's why I use it :)

Check out thegreatdirectory.org and the-net-directory.com and you can see how the script looks...

alexme, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  19. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How does it handle spam submissions?

mikey1090, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  20. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    With a captcha image - there's not many images/captcha combinations therefore it certainly isn't difficult to manipulate with a script to spam.

The user-input validation is also terrible.

Spider-Man, Aug 19, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.