1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Be Honest - How Effective Is Craigslist

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by shamus, Jul 24, 2008.

As an avid CL fan, I'm obviously aware of the amount of spam that floods it on an hourly basis.

I have no problems with the spam (even if it is annoying sometimes) because I understand that in order for that much spam to constantly be around, SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE is cashing in on it! If not, you wouldn't see half the amount of spam on there that you see currently.

So, I would like to hear from some CL marketers that can confirm that it's worth the time and effort to flood CL with your ads, and if so, any other tips that you could pass along? I'm not asking you to give away the farm, just some pointers that someone new to CL marketing might need to know.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight!

shamus, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  2. creztor

creztor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very good post shamus. I would say like you already have, there is money to be made there but you really need to be unique/add your own twist to your money making method. If you are doing what everyone else is doing, you probably won't stand a chance unless you are flooding/spamming like the big boys.

creztor, Jul 25, 2008 IP
    shamus likes this.
  3. redspace

redspace Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe it works but you need to have the strength to stay on the heavy current over there. Sometime your competitor are the one who kill your ads. I am myself have tried it but my ads just getting deleted. I will try again someday when I have the time to do my own test with the sites. But now need to concentrate on the less stressful way. :)

redspace, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  4. Jamison1114

Jamison1114 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say Craigslist has been a great place to market... if you're promoting a biz opp to those looking for work. Before the phone verification system was added, I was posting about 5 posts every 4 days. But lately, I have yet to use the system until I can figure out how to post just as frequently without being "blacklisted".

TIP*

When posting on craigslist, an easy way I avoided being tagged as a spammer was by using "teaser copy". I discussed how times are hard (recession) etc. and said I had a solution for their needs. I then provided a link to a landing page where they could then read further about what I had in mind.

This way they don't have to read a post that says "Get Rich Quick....BLah Blah, I promise the world...yadda yadda" which as you can imagine pisses off the reader who would consider this trash and leads to a quick removal on the boards.

As mentioned before, my primary focus was on the individuals looking for more work. When deciding on what to type in the subject header, I targeted those individuals with "Need Workers". You can use any variant of that, but if you put yourself in their shoes, what are they looking for...WORK! Where are they going to look for work...probably a post that is looking for workers!

This method has worked extremely well. I don't mind sharing this technique, just because there are soo many different ways to write Sales Copy that catches their attention.(Provided you know what you're doing) :D

If you look at my signature link, it actually takes you to the landing page I created for my craigslist ads. Hope this helps!

Jamison1114, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  5. napoleonfirst

napoleonfirst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Craigslis is very effective but you need to get the right software. You can use Craygo to do it.

napoleonfirst, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  6. Mark_H

Mark_H Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, i understand you 100% i new this friend that also was doing marketing on CL, all i know is, it needs lots Patients even though if it has lots of spam.

Mark_H, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  7. Clifford

Clifford Peon

Best Answers:
    Craigslist is a great place to market, there is lots of traffic on there. I personally think craigslist's is not so good for cpa offers and biz opps as it is for local merchandising.

For instance, I think it is a good place to sell local goods or market a local service.

you could buy wholesale and do very well selling locally through hourly posts on craigslist :D

Clifford, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  8. atulperx

atulperx Banned

Best Answers:

He is right but if are a newbie than it will take time to understand and use Craigslist in better way . Most of USA and other countries local service providers as well as web service providers use it and generate good sales to . On dp also you can find many users those hire posters for posting data on Craigslist and i think they must be getting something out of it .:D

atulperx, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  9. ChristianBlake

ChristianBlake Peon

Best Answers:
    Early this year I was working craigslist to a tune of about $100 a day. It's worth it if you don't mind the work. You need to constantly post/delete/update. It's better to give away free stuff and earn a small commission for their information (like a CPA email submit) instead of trying to sell an actual product.

It's worth it on CL but it becomes a full time job if you do it right, especially now that they are cracking down even harder on posting.

ChristianBlake, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  10. ChrisMonty

ChrisMonty Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, you've got to constantly stay ahead of the game on CL. If you can keep up with it or outource it, it can be worth it.

ChrisMonty, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  11. Dealhunter

Dealhunter Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love craigslist. You can take any new site, and if you know how easily bring over 200 visitors daily. Its great for people that don't care about ranking in search engines or people who have little content.

Dealhunter, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  12. TommySC

TommySC Peon

Best Answers:
    If you actually sell something (flip) in the non-service sections... craigslist can be very lucrative. I have made $1,000/ month at times strictly from selling my product on CL.

TommySC, Jul 26, 2008 IP