1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has this happen to anyone old domain name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Garya, Jul 24, 2008.

I purchased a domain name from snap domain it was 2000 created date.
    After I won the auction. The registrar reset the domain to july 2008.
    Snap names said it up to the registrar. The Registrar said snap names ordered
    it as july 2008.
    They has never happen to me before. Anyone have same experience.

Garya, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  2. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've never purchased from Snapnames (auction?) but I suspect that it was probably a dropped domain name.
    Once a domain name is allowed to expire or is deleted, when it is re-registered it looses its original age and is treated like a brand new domain name.

If you want to retain a domains age, try to get it before it before it is dropped.
    If it is a domain you've had your eye on while it was registered, I'd suggest making an offer to the administrative contact from WHOIS records...as it approaches expiration (or even after, since some registrars allow some grace period before the domain goes into the redemption period, where it gets expensive to recover)

If they are going to let it expire anyway, they might just sell it to you cheaper than you'd get it from drop catchers...
    *For them it's the difference between getting $0 for the domain and getting say $xx. (Tactfully use this fact as a bargaining point)
    *For you... not only do you get a domain with its original age (and possibly PR)...but also, a great deal.

mozzeratti, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  3. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    So you lose the domain name, don't you?

~ServerPoint~, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  4. jasonsc

jasonsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, this is normal. Snapnames grabs domains that EXPIRE. They grab them using lots of different partner registrars, each registrar gives out requests after the domain is released, this way chances that you get the domain are higher as only one registrar going for it.

If you buy an "expired" domain at tdnam.com the original creation date does not get reset, because domain has not actually expired, it still is under godaddy, but it only changes user account (old user let it expire, godaddy noticed that and sold it to another user without it being deleted)

jasonsc, Jul 25, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  5. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Once a domain is dropped, the age resets again.

How do you lose the domain name???? :confused:

htmlindex, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  6. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:

I was wondering the same.

Please explain ~Server Point ~
    ...?

mozzeratti, Jul 26, 2008 IP