1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Launching a new site

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by akdiver, Jul 23, 2008.

Hi Guys,

Next month I will be launching a new site that I have been working on for far too long.

Basically I want to learn from people who have launched a website previously. My website will need both buyers and sellers and I am worried of how to attract one without the other.

So if you have launched a site before,

what worked for you?
    what didnt work?
    what would you recommend to invest in?
    How much do you reccommend to invest?
    How did it go for you?
    What would you of changed?
    etc etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

akdiver, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  2. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    I think you are not ready yet to open such type of website... your questions are too general...

silveraden, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  3. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Mate, you have to provide us some more infos, at least the concept behind the new site, otherwise we'll be talking about bananas but your site after all sells strawberries :D

scubita, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  4. sinol

sinol Banned

Best Answers:
    hi, just help of seo will definately boost

sinol, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  5. Tobidotman

Tobidotman Peon

Best Answers:
    if you have a mailing list or subscriber list or ezine, tell them about it if it's related to the topic

Tobidotman, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  6. john10671

john10671 Peon

Best Answers:
    Think you need to do alot more research before you launch.
    There is a lot of competition out there if you give more details of what you are after maybe some one will help.
    :confused:

john10671, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  7. suzybakeoven

suzybakeoven Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the questions being too general. Buyers and sellers of what? I always think about what value will my site offer to people? We all have the same time, 24 hours and if you are going to ask your visitors to spend time on your site rather than somewhere else, what will you offer that they will want?

suzybakeoven, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  8. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's a niche site buying and selling products you can't go too far wrong with Google Adwords to get you started, making two campaigns - one for sellers and one for buyers.

It would help if you could get your hands on some interesting products to get it started too, make a few buyer and seller accounts (or mostly just sellers) on your site so there's something to look at when people go there.

Astroman, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  9. akdiver

akdiver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am just looking for anecdotes of people who have successfully launched a website. I dont want advice from people who havent done so. I have my own theory's and methods that I want to undertake but I prefer to learn as much as possible from other peoples experiences.

The site is in my signature if it helps but its not really relevant as I am not asking for your opinin on my launch rather your experiences from previous launches.

Anyway many thank yous to any experienced webmasters who can help me.

akdiver, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  10. akdiver

Best Answers:
    Thanks that was something I had planned. I assumed I would need to become the first "seller" so that buyers have something to look at.

akdiver, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  11. akdiver

Best Answers:
    Thanks Suzy, now just to keep the thread on topic can we assume that the service provided will be of value. If it wasnt of value then no launch no matter how big would matter as no one would use the site.

I am trying really hard to steer this towards examples of website launches, yours or another that you know of.

Thanks anyway guys for your responses.

akdiver, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  12. suzybakeoven

suzybakeoven Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask a Blogger to review your site. I've seen a couple of people do that on DP and they get traffic, but only after you have several accounts set up.

13. nofullstop

nofullstop Peon

Best Answers:
    write some articles and publish them over various article publishing sites like ezine articles

ask bloggers to review your site

create a buzz by doing something unique

write SEO content so that you get organic traffic

link to similar sites so that they will come to see your site and if it is worth then they will link back and hence it brings in more readers :)

nofullstop, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  14. PlateFish

PlateFish Banned

Best Answers:
    - Have a whole back log of articles you can submitt to ezinearticles. (Read up on how to rank high with ezinearticles).
    - Then have some paid advertising sites ready to invest in the day of your launch.
    - Post in forums relavent to your site with your website in your sig.
    - Create an interesting video about your website or what your website does and post it on youtube etc.
    - Maybe do some offline advertising.

But as everyone else has said, we cant go into specifics if you don't give us your specifics.

PlateFish, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  15. mizesean

mizesean Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure exactly what you are looking to do...I would personally focus on less than a "launch" and focus instead on getting the web site up and running and start driving traffic and building a list...

Sean

mizesean, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  16. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to know all the answers to your questions before launching your site.

carol.prime, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  17. suzybakeoven

suzybakeoven Peon

Best Answers:
    what worked for you? Link Marketing; It helped my PR and repeat visiotrs.
    I also had a large network and a niche, so I used constant contact and emarketing to get visitors and build my brand. I paired up with local contractors and asked them to contribute to my marketing newsletter.

what didnt work? adwords-I got traffic, but it didn't convert to sales. My site was service orientated, not product.

what would you recommend to invest in? article marketing-reviews from bloggers

How much do you reccommend to invest? (can't answer this one)

How did it go for you? Nothing, you have to learn as you go.
    What would you of changed? There are pros and cons to all types of marketing.

18. Dovasary

Dovasary Peon

Best Answers:
    I've launched several in the past few months, and a few things have shown a bit more successful than others. I've been learning from my pro's and con's for future site launches.

what worked for you? Viral Marketing. On my beta site www.cruinne.com we've gotten like 650 members from viral marketing. We haven't even started "real" marketing because we're still in beta.
    what didnt work? Inexpensive adverts. New sites that are selling 125x125 ads for like $5 a month aren't really worth it, at least not from my experience. It's $5 that doesn't bring in any traffic
    what would you recommend to invest in? 100% great site design/banner/etc. It, apart from a good domain name, is the first impression someone gets of your site, so don't side step it. Apart from that, invest in advertisement.
    How much do you reccommend to invest? It really just depends on what you're doing. For Cruinne (avatar community) between myself and my partner we've invested about 2k in the site. For my various blogs and other community sites I've invested like...$10 for domain, and just host it on my personal server.
    How did it go for you? For Cruinne we're doing decently. For beta and not really advertising a whole lot, we're only making like $150 a month. Once we start advertising, it should go up a lot.
    What would you of changed? I think that I would have waited on opening into beta on Cruinne. that's about it.

Good luck! What sort of site are you opening, anyways?

Dovasary, Jul 24, 2008 IP
    suzybakeoven likes this.
  19. akdiver

Best Answers:

Thanks for sharing. The site will be an auction marketplace for established websites. I need a launch to create enough buyers and sellers initialy to allow viral capaign to have any effect.

So far my plan is to create some accounts and sell some initial websites myself. Then buy some very niche, very high traffic blog reviews. I am also planning on doing direct marketing with website owners seeing if I can convince them to list thier site.

The site already has traffic via a related blog on the domain. I just wanted to create a buzz at launch so that viral could really do most of the work :)

akdiver, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  20. Dovasary

Dovasary Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh that's cool. I will definitely check it out then ^__^ *pm link if you want and don't want to list it here yet*

I would definitely also ask your friends and family to join, and sometimes doing post exchanges to get your forum (assuming you have a forum for the commerce chat side of things) a bit built up.

Let me know how it goes. I'd be interested in checking it out :3

Dovasary, Jul 24, 2008 IP