1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build directories with low budget?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Transaction ID ?

an0n, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  2. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

I don't care what you say, because I know the truth. But that's not what you should be concerned with right now - the Mods are watching you, and you keep attacking and hijacking mine and others threads. Yep, I grassed you up to the Mods THREE times now, and they are aware of you - trust me on that one.

And this latest attack of yours is the 4th time. This hate campaign of yours hasn't worked, so why don't you accept you can't get to me and be nice for once.

Event_King, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I came back, hoping this BS was over. I get people asking me why I left. Threads like this answer this question.

Guys, if you disagree with one another. Sweet. But why take it personal? If we want to help each other and create an industry of like minded individuals does any of this bitching help? It really kills it for people that want to contribute. I'd love to put some energy into discussions on here, but what's the point? Every time I come back here there is a personal dispute happening...

Do you wonder where the other directory names have gone? I still talk to them and none of them bother to chat here any more...

silencer, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  4. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Simply because ever since you came here you make the same thread over and over - 'directories are dead/over/forgotten' etc etc - and it got boring. So then you went back to 'I'm rich and famous' - but are afraid to post the facts. Until then, I'll keep sitting back and laughing at every single one of your claims. Give us an early Christmas present and post some proof - after all, anybody can say they're made of steel, but very few can actually prove it.

I'm led to believe this was due to Big Google Fish swinging around his Little Baby Fish and slapping 'em all with trout and salmon - or a I completely wrong on that one too?:(

Spider-Man, Jul 24, 2008 IP
    silencer likes this.
  5. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say you are completely wrong...

Given the direction of most of your comments I would doubt that you put most of your faith in Google's PR machine. So if that is indeed the reason these people have left I would expect someone of your knowledge to be drawing those people back in.

Regardless of what has gone before, and the entire PR machine, what has changed? I still see people selling PR (directories or not), I still see junk directories being created day-by-day (zero editing) and what I rarely see is people evolving.

Would it surprise you to hear that some of the people that were reduced by Google, actually went out of their way to evolve to appease the search engine. Would you also find it interesting that not only has their PR regained *some* status but they actually rank for their keywords, and in many cases produce sitelinks again?

My question to people here is, if you have made a mistake, would you expect to be hammered for it, for all time - or if you accepted that mistake, and took steps to revert it, or rectify it to some degree that you might be forgiven for it in the future?

What sickens me about this place is the personal attacks that people have. They gang up in mobs and attack a person over what one or maybe 2 of them believe is an injustice. Do any of you actually sit down and think about what you are fighting about, or do you just follow the mob?

I know there are some really intelligent people on this board. Some genius minds just waiting to be tapped. The really sad thing is, those minds get caught up (like it or not) in these ridiculous he/said/she/said garbage and the "whose script is the best" wars.

Guys. Learn to realise that as long as we fight against each other, the rest of the net considers this *industry* a joke. People say directories are dead, because quite frankly no one evolves. Learn from the mistakes of the big guys, they went before you and they made the mistakes on your behalf, and they paid for it. Learn from the mistakes, and create something new.

silencer, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree 100% with this statement (and everything else mentioned beforehand) and thoroughly believe this is indeed the way forward. The only problem with it is everybody around here are rivals - whether they admit it or not, if two people own directories, they are competing against each other - and we all know rivalry is bitter:D Kudos to you:)

Spider-Man, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  7. WebJunky

WebJunky Banned

Best Answers:
    It's ID's in the plural you can't have that many that have paid more than me so work it out that way your getting no help from me not any more.

Answer silencer's post.
    The directory industry IS a joke silencer, and as long as there are the an0ns of this world bent on destroying it with their petty jealousy and up their own a$$ attitudes it will stay a joke and probably die a painful death. Has everyone forgotten that an0n was one of the PR abusers that punished us all? I haven't.

There's no "Big Guys" on here, just those who think they are more than what they're not. The big guys were the phplynx types of the world where there were some good visionaries within the phplynx group, and as much as I never liked many things they said I was wise enough to read the good points they made. We made the mistake of looking a gift horse in the mouth and that just might be the straw that broke the proverbial directory industries back.

Second rant over, I'm out of here, I have a directory to run.

WebJunky, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  8. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    Your comments were not funny, truthful or insightful. Do you really think breaking my post down sentence by sentence and just replying with random garbage is a good argument? You must inspire or ridicule or ... something other than bore. And it really helps if occasionally you are right, but I can plainly see that's not your thing.

To other people not named Event_King: What's up with banning people that support phplynx? Could someone please point me to the straw that broke the camel's back?

Right about here I would apologize for threadjacking since this would be my 1st post where I didn't help the OP or back up my points about how to make a directory on a budget. I won't do that here since I'm thinking this thread crossed a line somewhere a few pages back and it's just not going to recover.

ErectADirectory, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  9. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpLD owner is a secret moderator :D

Disclaimer: That was a joke, for those who cannot take it as such ignore it, for those who can see it for what it is have a bud light and laugh then move on to the next post. <---- I can honestly see the day where we will all need to start writing disclaimers in this forum to prevent all out war!

On a more serious note, IMO it's nothing to do with the script, just the people not abiding by the forum rules in one way or another.

SilkySmooth, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So far a large number of those "people" appear to resolve to a "person". That is a violation worthy of a ban in any forum I've attended. How many logins does one person need to get their point across?

Sock-Puppets
    Having multiple IDs for the sake of using two or more sockpuppets (dual speakers / same voice) to agree with "each other" is an old and juvenile tactic. It's also pretty obvious a lot of the time. Another common use is creating a faceless throwaway identity to flame points with which they disagree without sullying their own hands publicly. Fiery comments from unidentifiable "experts" with brand new logins should as such be suspect. Unless you're in the witness protection program it seems odd to not identify yourself in any way whatsoever.

Bottom line... if someone can't support their position on its own merit... creating new identities to agree doesn't make the position any more meritorious. The guys doing this need to take more supportable positions, not add electronic echoes with faceless profiles to try to improve their odds.

FWIW - Kudos to the mods for taking a stand and booting the "me too" identities. I'll add that having moderated elsewhere, when someone comes in and pretty much proves by the content of his first post that he's been here under another ID, there is no reason the ID should be live long enough for a second post. No need to find out who they were, they'll just waste your time and ours.

robjones, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  11. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    So webjunkie is spiritwind ... something like that was obvious just by reading the hatred he put forth towards the little green man in his 1st post.

Have they really been doing this for the past year since I've been away from the directories section? I'm guessing dozens of "personalities". Probably a better question is .. what has this done for their sales. Just by glancing around this forum, one would actually assume that phplynx is #2 to phpld as far as popularity and overall usage.

It would be totally interesting if this alone has been their marketing plan ... and it worked.

I'll have that Bud Light now silky :]

ErectADirectory, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  12. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    Yes, kudos to the mods, but it doesn't half spoil my fun teasing them into making their mistakes so the whole community can see what is happening.

<---- Silky ran out of buds... I'll see if I can get a puppet to go to the store, hang on :rolleyes:

13. WebJunky

WebJunky Banned

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more Rob and I won't be taking sides either way, what I can say though is that people seem paranoid here for some reason, someone even gave me my first red rep saying 'Welcome back' such is the mentality of this forum.

What we must not do though, and from what I know as a certified Cisco engineer is that this can be proven 100% just as Spider-Man pointed out on one of his posts is that most who have been banned for supposed multiple accounts are actually living in different parts of the World with unique IP's or even in a worst case scenario could be working from the same office. Its why they invented LAN's, WAN's and Wi-Fi Rob, so how can you give 'kudos' to moderators who ban on whim rather than fact? That's poor moderation in my mind and I'm speaking as an ex moderator of one of the biggest gaming forums on the planet.

I said right from the start of my post here that it would not take long before the paranoid brigade labeled me with the rest and I was proved right. It looks like most of you are pretty desperate on here to protect your precious dollars.

Ban me, ban me not, I couldn't give a flying duck, I'll still work hard and still be in the directory industry a lot longer than most on here. This place is a joke, and until it improves I'm back off into my shell. :(

WebJunky, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  14. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree and this has been going on for far too long
    the reason they will be more persistent is because there is a monetary incentive in putting their point across in as many ids as it takes

discover, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  15. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Yes the directory model is dead, I said the 'model' will not stand on it's own anymore, people are bored with it, it's not unique as there are search engines that do more, it's been copied too much and thus the effectiveness of it as a promotional tool is less than limited - I could go on and give more reasons why the model is failure, but that won't get through to the blind now will it.

But the search system from the old directory models IS useful, now include that into a different type of website and you may have something to build on. But a search box with categories and a few links will not do the job.

I'm not going to tell you how to do this, as I don't have the time, am not a teacher nor have I the inclination to be one - how basic should I be? People will not listen because they are too emotionally attached to their directories - and therefore, as I see it - unteachable. Ofcourse I doubt they have the necessary skills and qualitites to make this work, even if I put it on a damn plate for them, but I don't have the time to mentor anyone - there are just too many directory owners for that.

The directories today have the foollowing (and no that isn't a spelling error) things in common:

The same old categories - all very similar, if not copied
    Set up for:

PR selling/manipulation of serps
    Link selling/submit fees extraction
    No intention to provide a service to searchers
    Made for Adsense
    Low quality mainly built for selling later to the unsuspecting
    Built as a free service for clients
    Used to connect websites and feed traffic to them
    To collect links to sell to later on
    To hoard contact details for sale

Directories of the general variety have the following in common:

Not unique
    Ignored
    Not seriously taken as a search tool
    Considered a joke by many
    Incredibly tough to sell as a real business
    Attract spam like a magnet
    Penalised by Google
    Many make little
    Most make nothing at all
    Webmasters on ego trips
    Waste of time

so all things considered, it's a bad and foolish idea to start one, especially since many know it's a bad idea. The only ones who don't know this are either novices, who probably shouldn't be taking it on anyway, or those trying something naughty and illegal.

I think I've made my point and if people wish to waste their time on this tired, failed model, then go ahead. It's not my time.....

There are - ME for one, but I think you meant these are the few, and would be correct. The rest of the above statement is very much fact, and the fantasy world that some obviously have is just that - fantasy.

Most would be better off with a real job, unless they really are going to do this directory thing properly, but they won't do that will they. Some directories are 8 or 10 years old, and they are nothing more than minimalistic in design - so it's easy to tell who the serious are.

Yet they think they are the next Google, and use forums as a platform for sales and to drive egos for whatever reason. Quite sad, when their time could be better spent doing, I dunno - thinking of a brand new web idea maybe.... One that would stand a better chance of making it, now that's an idea isn't it :)

All I'm suggesting is this can be done another way - because I've done it! Something more exciting than a general directory, it's been done a few times this year and I'm sure some bright spark on DP can do it. If I have to look at another directory, I'll probably explode hehe.

Event_King, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  16. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    Given that your 1st post in this forum was to attack another member whilst providing quite a bit of information which shows that it isn't your first time here it is rather obvious to most that you fit into one of these:

1) Banned member with new account and a grudge.

2) Another sock puppet.

3) Un-banned member to afraid to use his real account so using a fake one.

I would give it 2-3 hours tops either way before you are banned.

17. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    Stranger things have happened. I guess my invitation to PM me was not acceptable? I really would like to see and I'm not just saying that for the reasons which you hit back at Spider. I do want to see this.

18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The point he "proved 100%" to support Spiritwinds point was disproved a few posts later with a reverse IP check., but thanks for bring up the point.

Having witnessed the coordinated support/attack he and Spiritwind put together in 3 different threads over Spiritwinds brief stay... where they arrived together on cue, shared the same personal experiences and opinions, and basically finished each other's sentences indicates that if they aren't the same person then they probably sleep together. [OK, dont ask, don't tell.] Odd Spidey was so in the dark about Jamie's association with Cantufind when he'd had a site reviewed by 'em 30 days ago. http://www.blog.cantufind.com/2008/06/23/cupar-garden-centre/ . If it isn't the same identity it was at the least intentional misdirection.

Face it, there are darn few people here that can't think of a way around the issue of getting caught by an IP check. Sole reliance on those would be to forget this is a forum inhabited primarily by web professionals, some of whom will exercise more caution than others.

No need to read between the lines. Spiritwind said we needed to quit walking on egg-shells, so I just did. Tired of seeing two logins that share the same half-brain.

• Watching people come to agreement in the forum... a good thing.
    • Watching people come to agreement with themself is quite another.
    • Knowing the difference... priceless.

robjones, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Again, Transaction ID('s)

I by 'big guys' you mean big idiots, then I agree.

This imaginary world of yours truly fascinates everyone.

So post the transaction ID('s) or shut up with your imaginary dealings with me.

Edit:
    I guess it's a 'to be continued' until a 'new smurf' is re-registered.

Just know, these are the crude and childish tactics of phpStynx and their staff. Whoever would want to be a part of this infancy is beyond me. Truly pathetic on so so many levels.

an0n, Jul 24, 2008 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  20. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that. :rolleyes:

dog222, Jul 24, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.