1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build directories with low budget?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ceweqsakti, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    What does it really matter how nice his reply was if all he did was lie to the OP? People appreciate honesty & truth, of which he gave none (from my point of view).

No fights, no arguments but I will respond.

People (webmasters really) submit to your directory for the back link. None of us fool ourselves into thinking that actual traffic will come from submitted directories, if it does that's a bonus.

Now following that logic, a new skin will give it some eye candy that users will see and hopefully bookmark and use as their start page instead of google ... are you kidding? You have exactly a zero chance of becoming someone's portal to the internet.

Webmasters will submit their site whether your directory looks like a shack or mansion (probably automated mostly anyways). Real humans will (likely) never visit your pages to see how pretty your design is. I get some to be honest, but never as a start page ... only visitors from the SERPs

A $600 design is $600 wasted. Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating leaving your directory in it's default skin. Hack it yourself in a few hours even if you are only adding a header logo and changing the colors. Spend the money for a redesign after you have made some coinage from the directory, not before.

Save the $600 for some hookers and blow, it will be much more rewarding than a "professional" skin job.

ErectADirectory, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I concur with that, I'd say 95% of submissions are rejected from my blog directory (most of them aren't blogs at all) and 95% of the links in the directory are editor-added. So may I suggest:

2. add good content.

It's took a long time for this to sink in for me, but a Web directory by it's very nature must have something for the visitor. When the Yellow Pages is delivered each year I expect it to be full of classified and categorised phone numbers, If I searched for 'Builders' and there weren't any I wouldn't be impressed.

If content is king, a Web directorie's content is its listings. So maybe the focus should change from feeling good about 'rejecting spammy sites' to 'adding quality content to make the directory a useful resource'.

syted, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    swedal, mikey1090 and Event_King like this.
  3. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Totally, utterly, 100% agreed with and correct. Except Yellow Pages can get away with being 'ordinary' and limited in their offerings - others cannot and do not have that luxury.

Prising visitors away from a player like Yell, is near impossible, unless directories become unique. Yell are so powerful, they have an established following of advertisers that buy on the 'big' aspect - they don't see what others can do, they just see profits and traffic and are convinced that only the big companies can ever provide this.

This is true, and why it's so tough to defeat or become rich by copying a dying model.

Event_King, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  4. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry but I disagree with you there. For running servers you truly don't need more than 10GB of total space so you can usually get a low deal on a good hosting site. For example, for $5 a month I get unlimited everything (see my signature) while also getting bunch of free extras, unlimtied emails, and more. So I don't think hosting will cost $330. (or £150)

For design... you don't need to pay $600 right off the bat. For me, the first design for my blog was a standard free theme modified so perfectly it looked like it would cost money. For directories, pick up a good, free theme. Then do your best then pay someone no more than $100 do make it better, not to make it $900 worthy but just good.

PhpLD3 is highly professional and most users don't have a problem with saving $50 but just linking back to them so for $25 you got a great director software than can be modified (with mods) for under $50 to do a lot of great stuff.

Now if your concerened about how bad your directory looks offer free submissions. This will help to build a base, but you must take your time and hand pick every single submission. Once your directory has obtained thousands of submssions, (and hopefully a PR) set the price to $1. Then watch that money slowly come in. Then once you have enough, pay someone good to make it flat-out awesome. Then charge $5 for links. Then if you have put in a lot of hard work a good PR will come not only to your homepage but to all your sub-pages as well. The price then can be bumped up to $20 or so and you can start making money.

All for under $200 for a start.

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Depends on what you want. Personally I wanted a kick-arse site from the word go.

6. dphosting

dphosting Peon

Best Answers:
    not costs that much
    you can start a directory less than $40

dphosting, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  7. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes you can, but be aware it won't put over the right image. If you look cheap, then you will get treated like that - image is everything.

8. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    So I guess we can end this with...

You pay less than $200 and you got one bad directory.

You pay anywhere from $200 to $500 for a directory and its pretty good.

And $1000+ you got yourself one heck of a directory.

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

You get what you pay for and web designers work by the hour so for $1000 I'll get more work done for a site than if I paid $200. But more to the point it's what you do with finished site that counts. I often surf looking for that special website that gives me everything I need for a certain topic, the problem it's all been thought of and owned by the major web companies. Whatever you can think of right now has been done, and likely done to death, except everyone uses the big companies, so it's a big problem to overcome.

Let's see, Catering - yep I'm certain that's been done, the search engines, well there's tons of those Yahoo, Alta Vista, FAST, Hotbot etc. Yes, you can get a cheap script and knock out another General whatever, but the major engines have already done it, so the only way to beat them is......... well, that's the trick isn't it.

10. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Banned

Best Answers:
    Jamie, aka Rob, aka an0n, why is it you are always acting like some big tough guy on here? Judging by your posts its YOU who has his head up his A$$ no other person here.

Bit of truth from you would be more fitting, you only help if there's money in it for you, or on the odd occasion a boost to your ego does you.

SpiritWind, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  11. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    JamieG and An0n are not the same person, trust me. :)

mikey1090, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  12. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Banned

Best Answers:
    Who mentioned JamieG mikey1090? I was referring to an0n's registration name of one of his sites,

Activeweblinks.com
    jamie Campoamor
    6262 Whispering Way
    Orlando, Florida 32807
    United States

You have me thinking now though...

13. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry I just jumped to conclusions. Perhaps jamie is his middle name?

14. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't apologize, he is registered as both Robert, Jamie, and Michael at the house he lives so who knows, perhaps its an0n who's the one with the multiple personality disorder instead of others who seem to have been the victims of these claims in the past. ;)

Wonder if he is JamieG as well though that would be freakin hilarious. :D

15. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Haha - shows we're not all barking up the wrong tree. Quite funny really - another 2 members were banned here today for apparently being a duplicate account, presumably an apparent duplicate account of the ex-member of phpLynx, Kevin (ie. no longer working for, nor affiliated with). So for now - I believe it's Jamie, CantUFind, Jaboora and now Aubenrey have all been banned for being duplicate accounts. Some how I don't see how it works:

- Jamie works and lives in Cardiff, Wales, UK
    - CantUFind is run by the head of CantUFind, in Florida, United States of America
    - Jaboora I believe is from Pakistan.
    - Aubenrey - from a recent conversation, I believe, lives in central Spain - near Madrid.

Now I ain't no Inspector Morse, nor Inspector Gadget. But I'm not sure why mods/admins don't look at IP's, though I'm told one mod in particular seems to see the same shade of gray - "this guy is mentioning phpLynx - ban him". Quite disheartening, really. Especially when you think of the logic of it all - 1 single directory script would only ever bring up one result in search engines, thus making discussion boards (like DP) completely obsolete. Several directory scripts means more search results, more to choose from, and therefore more to question - which is exactly where a forum like DigitalPoint comes in to play.

I honestly am wondering why they've not said I'm Kevin/Jamie/Superman, as I am an avid user of phpLynx. I'll happily flash my passport to prove who I am - I'll bet most others wouldn't, because I for one ain't got anything to hide.

End of rant:)

Spider-Man, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  16. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Am i in the right thread?

OP - there are ways to spend less but i think about the minimum anyone could reasonably "get away" with spending to set up a directory would be in the range of $200 to $300. The directory would be very minimalistic with that investement unless you are good at coding.

swedal, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    robjones, Jul 23, 2008 IP
    jitendraag and an0n like this.
  18. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly. Although me and EK got laughed at for suggesting such amounts.

19. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    It was I who did the laughing

I think you've got your wires crossed somewhere. $200 is still a smidgen too high if you are on a budget but wouldn't warrant a Joker style laugh from me. $200 is much less that what you guys suggested.

^^ that doesn't include anything but a design, no domain, no hosting, no mods, no promotion .... and still is 3x what swendal quoted

Straight from EK's keyboard.

Get your story straight Mikey.

ErectADirectory, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  20. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I was talking about the quality of design for $600. Nothing to do with setting up a directory.

I then suggested some advice for the OP. The price of this work? Free. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.